Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help - Parents Not Happy With Snow Closure
CheekyChick 04:52 PM 12-09-2013
I would love help writing a letter to my parents regarding the REASON we close during inclement weather. We closed today because every school, college, library, and many businesses closed due to snow and icy roads. When I posted that my Assistants were afraid to drive to work, they were NOT happy. One parent even called and said, "You have to let so and so come to daycare tomorrow." Other parents offered to pick up my Assistants, just so they wouldn't miss work. ARGH!!! If I wanted my Assistants in danger - I would have let them drive themselves here. Who's to say they are safe driving with my parents?

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to how to word a polite - yet direct letter regarding this? I feel so bullied!!! All I want is for my staff AND our children to be safe and they did not handle that well. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
CedarCreek 04:56 PM 12-09-2013
I wouldn't address it except to say that you are closing due to the weather and that you value the safety of your staff and clients above all else. No more explanation.

If you respond to a parent trying to argue with the policy, you are letting them know it's okay to question your decisions about safety and it's not.

Don't engage!!
Blackcat31 05:00 PM 12-09-2013
Oh my goodness!! It's so nice to see you back!

I'd go with something like:

Dear daycare parents

Whenever inclement weather occurs preventing the absolute safety of our daycare families and staff, ABC Child care will close.

It is your responsibility to have a backup plans or care. Notification of closure will be given as far in advance as possible.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Sincerely

Daycare Provider

CheekyChick 05:06 PM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
I wouldn't address it except to say that you are closing due to the weather and that you value the safety of your staff and clients above all else. No more explanation.

If you respond to a parent trying to argue with the policy, you are letting them know it's okay to question your decisions about safety and it's not.

Don't engage!!
Good advice. DON'T engage and keep it short. I engaged way too much and they ran all over me. I feel a bit bitter right now. LOL!!!
CedarCreek 05:09 PM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
Good advice. DON'T engage and keep it short. I engaged way too much and they ran all over me. I feel a bit bitter right now. LOL!!!
Totally. If you do respond, only repeat what you have already said about closing and nothing else.

You got this!!
CheekyChick 05:09 PM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Oh my goodness!! It's so nice to see you back!

I'd go with something like:

Dear daycare parents

Whenever inclement weather occurs preventing the absolute safety of our daycare families and staff, ABC Child care will close.

It is your responsibility to have a backup plans or care. Notification of closure will be given as far in advance as possible.

Sincerely

Daycare Provider
Thanks, Blackcat!

I love your letter. Thanks! I would also like to add something about, if the local elementary schools are closed, so are we. I would like to add something quick about not offering to pick up my Assistants, but haven't a clue how I would say that. Any ideas?
Unregistered 05:14 PM 12-09-2013
I would leave off mention of the assistants, and just reiterate that when inclement weather prevents schools from opening you will be closed. Should someone bring up driving your assistant, then you can reiterate again that will not be necessary seeing as the daycare is CLOSED.
Blackcat31 05:22 PM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
Thanks, Blackcat!

I love your letter. Thanks! I would also like to add something about, if the local elementary schools are closed, so are we. I would like to add something quick about not offering to pick up my Assistants, but haven't a clue how I would say that. Any ideas?
Okay,

Dear daycare parents

ABC Child Care will also be closed whenever "local elementary school" is cancelled due to poor weather and/or travel.

Liability reasons do not allow ABC child care staff to be transported to or from child care via enrolled child care families.

Sincerely

Daycare Provider

I don't know how personal you want to be but maybe build off something like that?

HTH
Cradle2crayons 05:29 PM 12-09-2013
Okay,

Dear daycare parents

ABC Child Care will also be closed whenever "local elementary school" is cancelled due to poor weather and/or travel.

Liability reasons do not allow ABC child care staff to be transported to or from child care via enrolled child care families.

Sincerely

Daycare Provider

I don't know how personal you want to be but maybe build off something like that?

HTH
you always have great letters. Maybe we should hire you as the official daycare.com form letter writer.. We have a daycare whisperer why not??? I'll be the official redneck if that job hasn't already been taken

Better yet, we need to start a thread entitled "what we REALLY want to say instead of the official form" lol

When I retire from nursing completely in 50 years I have always wanted to write a book entitled "the difference between what us nurses say and what we really mean" you know. 99 year old patient hits the call bell every five minutes because he's lonely and he says he hopes he's not bothering me. I say "oh no sweetie call me anytime you want" and what you REALLY want to say is " you realize I have 40 other patients right?" Lol
melilley 06:31 PM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
you always have great letters. Maybe we should hire you as the official daycare.com form letter writer.. We have a daycare whisperer why not??? I'll be the official redneck if that job hasn't already been taken

Better yet, we need to start a thread entitled "what we REALLY want to say instead of the official form" lol

When I retire from nursing completely in 50 years I have always wanted to write a book entitled "the difference between what us nurses say and what we really mean" you know. 99 year old patient hits the call bell every five minutes because he's lonely and he says he hopes he's not bothering me. I say "oh no sweetie call me anytime you want" and what you REALLY want to say is " you realize I have 40 other patients right?" Lol
I just said something to bc, along the lines of what you said (about her having an advice business or something like that!

And my sis is a RN at our local hospital. If only everyone did know the thoughts of nurses.....lol Some of her stories amaze me, though a few on here amaze me as well!
cheerfuldom 08:27 PM 12-09-2013
agree with BC.

do not feel that you have to give a reason like "my assistants dont feel safe driving here" because that is an open door for some people to solve the problem with their own benefit in mind. keep it short, dont overexplain, make sure everyone knows it is not negotiable.

parents do the craziest things like it is really that vital to get to work. unless you are like an ER doctor or something, I am pretty sure that you are not needed that bad, especially when the whole town is shut down. I had one dad do $1400 damage trying to drive the few blocks to my house. just stay home! seriously. it is not worth putting your life and other peoples life at risk.

especially annoying are the parents that drive their kid into daycare when their work is closed for snow. the whole point for closing due to weather is so that people are not on the roads!
CheekyChick 03:34 AM 12-10-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
Totally. If you do respond, only repeat what you have already said about closing and nothing else.

You got this!!
Thanks!
CheekyChick 03:35 AM 12-10-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I would leave off mention of the assistants, and just reiterate that when inclement weather prevents schools from opening you will be closed. Should someone bring up driving your assistant, then you can reiterate again that will not be necessary seeing as the daycare is CLOSED.
That makes sense. Just keep repeating that we are closed - PERIOD. Thanks!
CheekyChick 03:37 AM 12-10-2013
Okay,

Dear daycare parents

Sincerely

Daycare Provider

HTH
I LOVE it!!! Thank you, Blackcat!!!
CheekyChick 03:41 AM 12-10-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
agree with BC.

do not feel that you have to give a reason like "my assistants dont feel safe driving here" because that is an open door for some people to solve the problem with their own benefit in mind. keep it short, dont overexplain, make sure everyone knows it is not negotiable.

parents do the craziest things like it is really that vital to get to work. unless you are like an ER doctor or something, I am pretty sure that you are not needed that bad, especially when the whole town is shut down. I had one dad do $1400 damage trying to drive the few blocks to my house. just stay home! seriously. it is not worth putting your life and other peoples life at risk.

especially annoying are the parents that drive their kid into daycare when their work is closed for snow. the whole point for closing due to weather is so that people are not on the roads!
I 100% agree with you. By my telling the parents that my staff didn't feel safe driving, they all jumped in and offered to drive them. I will simply say, "We are closed due to inclement weather" and that's that! Thanks you!
Tags:closed from snow, snow policy
Reply Up