Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Deal w/ Parents Who Overstay Their Welcome?
Unregistered 12:32 PM 01-30-2015
I have some new daycare parents who have been taking their sweet time picking up their child. The guy came to pick up his kid today and sat in my living room for 10 minutes text messaging and then wanted to talk for another 20 minutes. I practically had to kick him out the door saying that I had to get lunch ready now.

He also lets his 1 year old child choose when she wants to get in her car seat. He's like "come on let's go" over and over again. Obviously a one year old child is probably not going to cooperate most of the time. You have to pick them up and put them in yourself!

This behavior is really not going to fly when they are picking the kid up in the evenings. I have my own responsibilities to attend to after my day job is over, ya know?

How do you all handle this kind of thing?
Jack Sprat 12:40 PM 01-30-2015
I have two mothers that do this. If we are inside then I go about my business. Like making dinner, going to the bathroom, going into the laundry room and start folding laundry. If we are outside then I call to DD that we need to go in and get dinner started. If she wants to stay out I let the parent know that daycare is closed they are in charge of their child and that I have things I need to do. This has always worked in getting them moving. Also, having the kids ready to go helps. We have coats on, and when I see parents pull up we put shoes on.
TaylorTots 12:46 PM 01-30-2015
Simply have DCK(s) completely ready to go at pickup. When dad walks in, HAND him the child and give any updates if needed, open the door for them, say "Have a good evening." And if dad doesn't get it and delays, just smile and return to the other kids in care.
hope 12:53 PM 01-30-2015
I have struggled with this for years. I have a dcm that would ask to use the rest room and then come into my kitchen to see what I was cooking. She would sit down at my island and try to chat as I cooked. She would watch DH help DD with her hw. When I would talk with her to let her know she needs to pick up quickly and leave she would get offended or be good for a while and then regress. Eventually I printed up her contract with hours and late fees and had her sign it again. I have her kids dressed and waiting at the door. Days that i have her car seat i strap the baby in myself when she pulls in the driveway. Its hard to be so blunt but they are being rude.
Unregistered 04:05 PM 01-30-2015
Yeah. You know it's just because they are so comfortable at your house and their children love you so much.
I just hit them over the head with a cast iron pan and have my husband drag them out to the garden
Our veggies grow great!
Unregistered 04:31 PM 01-30-2015
I literally walk them out the door/gate. I give out daily reports so the parents know how their child acted, eat etc. I tell them it's on the paper. I also comment I have to go to the store or make dinner. They get the hint.
daycare 04:38 PM 01-30-2015
I tell parents

Drop off and pick up are the most hectic times of our day. for this reason, we ask that you make them short, sweet and simple for you, your child and the other children in care.

This time is also a time that children will test their parents. Leaving quickly will reduce the chance that your child will act up, however, if they do act up, we will expect you to parent your child and back all rules of the daycare.

While I am sure you really want to see your child in action with their friends, please don't forget that per state licensing, you have access to your child, but you may not have access to the other children.

All of my kids are ready to go sitting my the door, they are not allowed to stand up and get off of the rug until the parents are ready to open that door and leave.
Annalee 07:28 PM 01-30-2015
Originally Posted by TaylorTots:
Simply have DCK(s) completely ready to go at pickup. When dad walks in, HAND him the child and give any updates if needed, open the door for them, say "Have a good evening." And if dad doesn't get it and delays, just smile and return to the other kids in care.
^^^This is what I do!
NoMoreJuice! 09:25 PM 01-30-2015
Wish I could help, but I termed the parent that you described a few months ago. She lingered SO badly...poor child didn't know who was the authority and was a terror. "Come on baby, we gotta go" mom would whine as her child wrapped around her legs. Ten minutes later, same thing. Ten minutes after that, repeat. It was obnoxious.

I wish I would have been blunt and enforced my policy about drop off/pick up from the very beginning. Here's an excerpt from my policy handbook:

"It is normal for some children to have difficulty separating from parents or cry when being dropped off. Please make your drop off brief: the longer you prolong the departure, the harder it gets. A smile, cheerful good-bye kiss, and a reassuring word that you will be back is all that is needed. In our experience, children are nearly always quick to get involved in play or activities as soon as parents are gone. We love every child that comes to us and are confident that love grows trust. After an initial adjustment period, your child will be thrilled to be with us and separation should be very easy and calm.

Please be brief at pick-up times, as well. This is a time of testing, when two different authority figures are present (the parent and the provider). All children will test to see if the rules still apply. During arrival and departure, we expect parents to back up our rules. Please be in control of your child during pick up times. "
Kabob 06:15 AM 01-31-2015
I told a dcm to text or call when she's on her way and then had the child ready to go so when she came I handed off the child waved goodbye and shut the door. Easy peasy. Dcm was also told to email any questions that weren't answered by the daily activity sheet.

I felt rude doing this at first, but as I explained to dcm before doing this...it helps everyone transition smoothly at a time of day where everyone is exhausted from a busy day...including the kiddos.
cheerfuldom 07:16 PM 02-01-2015
I meet parents at the door and insist that pickup is quick. I would absolutely not tolerate 30 minutes of a parent screwing around in the house. They are just trying to have kiddo on your watch because as soon as they leave, THEY are responsible for child and child's behavior.
Controlled Chaos 09:43 PM 02-01-2015
I was totally the straggler mom when my dd was in a center. I was teaching all day and I loved my daughter's provider. I would be so happy to see a grown up I always wanted to delay the commute home and chat. Though I did have the good sense to pick up dd and head out the moment she acted out. I was not the perfect dcp by a long shot if I have a family now that dawddle I have the child ready at the door. I can see when parents pull up
Unregistered 04:18 AM 02-02-2015
Add that time to open late hours on your taxes..............more time= more time/space percentage.Not that I want them late but when they actually are out the door is what their leave(pick up ) time is on my cal.keeper.
Reply Up