Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>8 Month Old Not Happy Unless He's Eating
kb220 05:13 PM 08-22-2018
One of our little ones came back from a two week vacation a completely changed baby. Mum says he's going through a growth spurt and has instructed us to feed him 3(!) 4oz second sitters with table food (usually mixed veggies, a fruit, and some kind of entree) for every meal.

(And then immediately follow it with 6oz of formula). No cereal allowed because she says it constipates him. If he fusses between meals, she wants him to have Cheerios or puffs.

He eats everything you put in front of him. He sleeps normally, but he is absolutely inconsolable unless he is eating.

I wouldn't feel right letting him eat himself sick, and I'm sure he must be getting bellyaches from all that food. (Not to mention, I don't have time to sit next to him and shovel it in all day.)

Not sure what to do for this poor not-so-little guy because I know he eats all that and more at home and has become very used to it.
hwichlaz 05:25 PM 08-22-2018
8 month old should be self feeding if he's that into eating. Can you get a pouch to pour it in?

https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Port...+feeding+pouch
kb220 05:32 PM 08-22-2018
We can use pouches, but I can't be more than an arm's length away per agency policy. Which is rough to do now that we're up to about 12 under one per day.
LysesKids 07:37 PM 08-22-2018
Originally Posted by kb220:
One of our little ones came back from a two week vacation a completely changed baby. Mum says he's going through a growth spurt and has instructed us to feed him 3(!) 4oz second sitters with table food (usually mixed veggies, a fruit, and some kind of entree) for every meal.

(And then immediately follow it with 6oz of formula). No cereal allowed because she says it constipates him. If he fusses between meals, she wants him to have Cheerios or puffs.

He eats everything you put in front of him. He sleeps normally, but he is absolutely inconsolable unless he is eating.

I wouldn't feel right letting him eat himself sick, and I'm sure he must be getting bellyaches from all that food. (Not to mention, I don't have time to sit next to him and shovel it in all day.)

Not sure what to do for this poor not-so-little guy because I know he eats all that and more at home and has become very used to it.
That's too much food.. I personally would show her food program portions, especially if you are a food program daycare. Just because she wants you to feed the child too much, doesn't mean you have too do it. If she keeps harping on it, make her supply the extra; might change her tune - nothing says you have to over feed in your childcare especially on your dime... also offer a sippy cup of water at all times; might fill his belly after the formula and food.
I do under 24 months care only & refuse to feed 24/7 regardless what a parent does at home. How old is this child? If they still take formula I'm assuming under 12 months
Blackcat31 06:18 AM 08-23-2018
Originally Posted by kb220:
We can use pouches, but I can't be more than an arm's length away per agency policy. Which is rough to do now that we're up to about 12 under one per day.
What state are you in? An arm's length away? Is that a state regulation or a center reg?

If your age groups are expanding so should your staff. Especially to meet the needs of these infants per regulations.

As for over feeding or just following mom's menu, I'd serve ONLY the state required serving sizes (food program as well as your school districts website should have that info easily available) and if mom balks or protests, I'd request a visit to the child's pediatrician.

Over feeding during infancy can lead to all sorts of other issues both physically and mentally in future years.
LysesKids 08:15 AM 08-23-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
What state are you in? An arm's length away? Is that a state regulation or a center reg?

If your age groups are expanding so should your staff. Especially to meet the needs of these infants per regulations.

As for over feeding or just following mom's menu, I'd serve ONLY the state required serving sizes (food program as well as your school districts website should have that info easily available) and if mom balks or protests, I'd request a visit to the child's pediatrician.

Over feeding during infancy can lead to all sorts of other issues both physically and mentally in future years.
THIS... I feed food program portions & if there is an extra portion given it's fruit & veg, not meat or carbs - I don't do baby cereal at all. Haven't given it to an infant in years , part of why me & the FP don't mesh lol
hwichlaz 10:19 AM 08-23-2018
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
THIS... I feed food program portions & if there is an extra portion given it's fruit & veg, not meat or carbs - I don't do baby cereal at all. Haven't given it to an infant in years , part of why me & the FP don't mesh lol
baby cereal hasn't been a requirement for a while now. The only requirement for children under a year old is mother's milk or formula.
LysesKids 11:15 AM 08-23-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
baby cereal hasn't been a requirement for a while now. The only requirement for children under a year old is mother's milk or formula.
I haven't done FP in 3.5 years... lol I keep on the portions but not always what required since many of my babes have issues to soy & dairy
kb220 06:18 PM 08-23-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

We're in PA. I know the arm's length thing is not a Naeyc standard but can't remember if it's a PA Keys standard or just an agency reg. Either way, YES about the expanding staff. I truly believe 3 staff for 12 ages 2-11 months is insane.

I have put my foot down on the food issue, we're not feeding as mom would like us to. But baby is not adjusting well. He's almost constantly inconsolable, especially when he sees any of the others eating.
MarinaVanessa 07:50 PM 08-23-2018
Is he a large baby? Is he meeting his physical development milestones?

This may not be it at all if he's rolling and sitting up as he should be but his sudden overeating reminded me of a nephew of mine that was like this as a baby. He was fine then suddenly he wanted to constantly be eating and would not stop crying unless he was. He was hardly rolling over at 7 months and didn't sit up unsupported until a year or so. As he got older it was apparent that he had some other delays and he kept eating like crazy. Around 3 or 4 they determined he had Prader-Willi. It's really rare so it's probably not that, just wanted to throw that out there.

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/prader-willi-syndrome
kidsncats 12:15 PM 08-24-2018
Does he spit up the food often? I have a 2.5 year old that had no fill line. Problem was he'd spit up all the time. I thought maybe he had indigestion and reflux, and then the family doctor suggested going without dairy for several weeks. There was no change during this period.

He still has no fill line, and would eat all the time if there was food near him. I researched Prader-Willi syndrome which is a constant sense of hunger that usually begins at about 2 years of age but this was happening to him at one year old.
LysesKids 04:16 PM 08-24-2018
Originally Posted by kidsncats:
Does he spit up the food often? I have a 2.5 year old that had no fill line. Problem was he'd spit up all the time. I thought maybe he had indigestion and reflux, and then the family doctor suggested going without dairy for several weeks. There was no change during this period.

He still has no fill line, and would eat all the time if there was food near him. I researched Prader-Willi syndrome which is a constant sense of hunger that usually begins at about 2 years of age but this was happening to him at one year old.
Doesn't mean it still can't be PW... not everyone fits the mold on certain diseases; I know me & my daughter don't... we have Alpha 1 (short term for the long name); most people have more lung issues - me, I have some lung issue, but got the liver disease that isn't common... either way we will both die without transplants ; she needs at least one lung, I am on a list for a liver ... And for those that didn't know, it's why I closed for 4 months this year. I almost died end of February due to my liver failing - it's why I told someone else here to be tested when her DNA test came back and said she could be genetically possible
Tags:8 month old, eats - too much
Reply Up