Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice for 1st week
MommyMuffin 03:19 PM 10-24-2010
After 8 months of planning I am finally opening next monday. I was wondering if any of you had any advice for the first week and the transition? thanks!
momofsix 07:26 PM 10-24-2010
Congratulations!!!
How many kids are you starting with and what ages?
I'm sure you'll do great! I don't really don't have too much advice, but I would say try to have as much of the stuff you'll need throughout the day ready before the kiddos come. And don't expect too much of yourself-do what you want, and what works for you, and enjoy your kiddos!
Good luck tomorrow!
Pammie 03:18 AM 10-25-2010
Congrats! Hope the experience is all that you're hoping for!

As far as advice?:

~Enforce your policies from day #1 with your clients. It's so much easier than letting things slide and trying to enforce them later!

~Start every day with fresh/light makeup, hair done and dress casually for greeting your clients each morning. It says a lot about your professionalism. (I know many providers do things differently, but this works for me - and is my humble opinion)

~Get as much of your daycare "work" done as you can during the day (cleaning, tidying up, paperwork, etc) during nap times/free play times, so that once you close daycare, you're done working for the day. Otherwise, it can feel like your workday never ends!

~Prepare as much as you can ahead! Tupperware bins full of cut-up fruits and vegetables in the fridge is a lifesaver at mealtimes. Craft projects with all of the necessary materials pre-gathered in a bin saves oodles of time during the day.

~Have a planned schedule, but be flexible - especially as you and the children are transitioning into a new daily routine!

~Take time for "you" when you get everyone down for a nap! It works wonders to rejuvenate yourself when you can have a cup of coffee in quiet, and put your feet up for a few minutes in the afternoon!

~Have fun!! Your clients and the kids will know when you are - and when you aren't
kitkat 07:44 AM 10-25-2010
I agree with every thing that Pammie said! Very well said, Pammie! I would also add that if it's a rough day or two or five, hang in there, it will get better. Those are the best days to go out to eat or order in
Live and Learn 07:52 AM 10-25-2010
What pammy said!
MARSTELAC 08:34 AM 10-25-2010
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
After 8 months of planning I am finally opening next monday. I was wondering if any of you had any advice for the first week and the transition? thanks!

Good Luck! I recall my first week in 2008 and wished I had made no plans any of the evenings that week. I was wiped out. I have since adjusted and do my normal routine but make sure you get enough rest/me time for sure! You will enjoy your new career!
Reply Up