Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Land Line/Cell Phone
Land Line Only 2 3.45%
Cell Phone Only 18 31.03%
Both (Land line and Cell phone) 38 65.52%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Land Line/Cell Phones
Country Kids 09:00 AM 07-27-2012
I'm thinking of giving up my cell phone or giving it to just very limited people. It seems like all my friends are on some weird plans where if you aren't on their plan it burns their minutes up. Another plan is you can talk but not from a landline as it uses their minutes up but if you call from a cell phone it doesn't. I have limited minutes but it seems like no one minds using mine all up.

Also, I'm starting to not like being accesiable 24 hours a day!!!

I'm thinking of just going back to a land line and if they want to talk they can use their minutes up. I might get a very low cell phone plan and use it to call family/friends that are long distance.

My land line is $20 a month. I'm really trying to have my hubs give his up and just have the kids earn money to pay for theirs. I'm really tired of paying $100 a month for phone use!!!! I'm just not a person who is into the latest cell phone and have to have the best of them.

I remember my hubby being upset because our landline phone bill would be a little high from long distance calling but now he has no problem shelling out money for cell phones. I don't understand that.

So my question is How many of you have cell phones only, landlines only or both?
texascare 09:14 AM 07-27-2012
I voted. I have both but DCP do not have cell number.
Meeko 09:17 AM 07-27-2012
I got Nettalk a few months ago (bought it off Amazon) and I LOVE it! Works like Magic Jack except they have live customer service if needed.

Little box cost me about $50...which included the first YEAR of service. I plugged it into my modem (you can also plug into your computer) and BINGO! Phone service that only costs $20 a YEAR. Unlimited calls...even long distance. I took my cell phone plan down to a smaller number of mins and it's working out great so far. Should have done it earlier!
littlemissmuffet 09:31 AM 07-27-2012
No cellphones here. Just a landline. I think cellphones are turning people into zombies.
Country Kids 09:32 AM 07-27-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I got Nettalk a few months ago (bought it off Amazon) and I LOVE it! Works like Magic Jack except they have live customer service if needed.

Little box cost me about $50...which included the first YEAR of service. I plugged it into my modem (you can also plug into your computer) and BINGO! Phone service that only costs $20 a YEAR. Unlimited calls...even long distance. I took my cell phone plan down to a smaller number of mins and it's working out great so far. Should have done it earlier!
My hubs talked about something like this! Thanks for the reminder Meeko. I'm going to make him look into this, this weekend.

Can you keep your same phone number? We have had it for 20+ years and not wanting to change it.
mom2many 09:38 AM 07-27-2012
I would love to give up my land line & save the $40 a month. We use our cell phones for all long distant calls and my husband never uses the land line at all. Licensing requires that I have one though, so until I stop doing daycare I will have to keep it.
Country Kids 09:41 AM 07-27-2012
Originally Posted by mom2many:
I would love to give up my land line & save the $40 a month. We use our cell phones for all long distant calls and my husband never uses the land line at all. Licensing requires that I have one though, so until I stop doing daycare I will have to keep it.
See it cost me more to have the cell phones then a land line!

I'm tired of the convience costing me more-
MsMe 09:48 AM 07-27-2012
I have a land line for the daycare (state required) and I have a cell. My Mother, myself, brothers, and Dad are all on a cell plan paid by the daycare (better rewards and instant rebates on phones for a business plan)

Daycare parents do have my cell number. I give it out so I can be reached on a walk or feild trip, the occasonal picture text of an activity, and reminders for the next day. So far no one has 'abused' contacting me on my cell and I liek the contact.

I personaly would NOT feel comfortable leaving the house with DCK and cell. Just a month ago we went on a walk and the wheel of my double stroller fell off. I had 6 walkers and 2 in the stroller....I called a friend and picked up my backup stroller and helped me switch everything over. I would have been in trouble trying to carry two babies and walk six kids home. Glad it wasn't an actual emergency , but next tiem it might be. I would at least get a track phone, and give the number to parents but tell them it is only for when you are out.

Maybe you never leave the house with the kids? Then i don't think you need one if you don't want it.
daycarediva 09:50 AM 07-27-2012
Only cells, I can't get a landline here unless we go with a cable company that bundles and it would cost way too much (we aren't in any networks, a completely overlooked area). Licensing made me get a cheap cell that has a keypad. I want to get a different cell for personal use and turn off my 'daycare' cell. Most of my parents LOVE me sending random pictures and text updates though, so it is a perk.
Country Kids 09:53 AM 07-27-2012
Originally Posted by MsMe:
I have a land line for the daycare (state required) and I have a cell. My Mother, myself, brothers, and Dad are all on a cell plan paid by the daycare (better rewards and instant rebates on phones for a business plan)

Daycare parents do have my cell number. I give it out so I can be reached on a walk or feild trip, the occasonal picture text of an activity, and reminders for the next day. So far no one has 'abused' contacting me on my cell and I liek the contact.

I personaly would NOT feel comfortable leaving the house with DCK and cell. Just a month ago we went on a walk and the wheel of my double stroller fell off. I had 6 walkers and 2 in the stroller....I called a friend and picked up my backup stroller and helped me switch everything over. I would have been in trouble trying to carry two babies and walk six kids home. Glad it wasn't an actual emergency , but next tiem it might be. I would at least get a track phone, and give the number to parents but tell them it is only for when you are out.

Maybe you never leave the house with the kids? Then i don't think you need one if you don't want it.
Oh, we leave the house and I would keep one with very limited minutes. I'm just getting tired of all the people who think they need to text me all the time with questions. Please give me a call so when can talk about it.

I get texts all the time from parents. I turn my phone off for church but when church is over there are usually texts on there and I'm not even open on Sundays.
Crazy8 10:12 AM 07-27-2012
I have both but have been thinking of giving up the land line. Only reason I keep it is for daycare but mine is thru my cable company and it has become SOOOO unreliable - it drops calls much worse than my cell phone does. I don't mind dcf's texting me - I actually prefer it to phone calls. Like leaving a phone message I reply when its convenient for me so I don't care if its during my "off" hours and I MUCH prefer a text at 6am that child isn't coming than a phone call that wakes up my entire house!!!
countrymom 11:28 AM 07-27-2012
Originally Posted by texascare:
I voted. I have both but DCP do not have cell number.
same here, I don't want dcp's calling me.
DaisyMamma 11:45 AM 07-27-2012
I have a landline, but it rings on my cell. Most parents don't bother me outside of daycare hours and if they do I ignore the call and return texts during appropriate times.
originalkat 08:26 PM 07-30-2012
Cell is for personal and land line is for daycare...however, I wish I could text them sometimes. I like having the land line for the daycare. I usually answer with my business name unless I know who it is.
nanglgrl 11:54 PM 07-30-2012
Originally Posted by mom2many:
We are also required to have a land line in my state to meet standards but mine never rang. I use my cell phone for all of my calls and so do my parents, in fact most of them text me. In the last year the only people that called my land line were telemarketers or strangers! I give out my cell number on business cards etc. because I don't want to miss a call from a potential client if I can help it. My family shares 1500 minutes and we never come close to using it all and my home phone rarely rang so I bought a magic jack instead of paying almost $40 a month for a regular land line. Magic jack meets the standards in my state. I don't know how well or even if it works because we never use the land line but it is saving me money!
magsgma 02:47 AM 07-31-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I'm thinking of giving up my cell phone or giving it to just very limited people. It seems like all my friends are on some weird plans where if you aren't on their plan it burns their minutes up. Another plan is you can talk but not from a landline as it uses their minutes up but if you call from a cell phone it doesn't. I have limited minutes but it seems like no one minds using mine all up.

Also, I'm starting to not like being accesiable 24 hours a day!!!

I'm thinking of just going back to a land line and if they want to talk they can use their minutes up. I might get a very low cell phone plan and use it to call family/friends that are long distance.

My land line is $20 a month. I'm really trying to have my hubs give his up and just have the kids earn money to pay for theirs. I'm really tired of paying $100 a month for phone use!!!! I'm just not a person who is into the latest cell phone and have to have the best of them.

I remember my hubby being upset because our landline phone bill would be a little high from long distance calling but now he has no problem shelling out money for cell phones. I don't understand that.

So my question is How many of you have cell phones only, landlines only or both?
I have both. I tried lowering my cell phone by going with a "throw away" phone service I tried two different companies. They didn't fit my needs couldn't get service in a lot of places since they only use a limited amount of towers, so I went back to Verizon - my husband and I share 1400 minutes of voice we do not text.
Same with my land line - I need to keep it for regulations but I switched to Vonage for almost a year the $17/ a month was great however people had trouble hearing me, if your internet or electricity went out so did your phone... But the biggest reason I switched back from Vonage to Verizon was Verizon upped my internet fee to $45/a month!!! So I asked about Bundling and now my bill is $1 cheaper a month (and minus the $17 for Vonage) plus I have the reliable phone service back with added features and the phone number that I have had since I was 12.
I tried these other companies because people that I knew that had them really liked them. I guess it all is based on what you are comfortable with. When I need to use my phone I need it - I don't use it for entertainment I want it to work always. With Verizon 99.5% of the time you have it. Oh and Customer Service for those disposable phones were horrific - every time I called I was talking to someone who was in India and I would be talking with them for over half hour up to an hour each time and then all of a sudden get dropped and have to start all over. For me it was a nightmare. For those that do not have problems count yourself lucky! :-)
My suggestion for you would be to keep your landline. And since you only want your cell for emergencies then a plan where you pay $25/month for unlimited service would work for you... But keep in mind - that your friends and your minutes will "burn" there are no mobile to mobile minutes with these programs as of my dealing with them (last year) You can port your phone number but you have to buy one of the phones that are on their list you can not use the phone you have....
mema 06:44 AM 07-31-2012
I have both. The only reason we have a land line is for my kids. I don't want them having cellphones, but if I run to the store or bank, they need a way to get a hold of me if necessary.
Meeko 07:05 AM 07-31-2012
My hubs talked about something like this! Thanks for the reminder Meeko. I'm going to make him look into this, this weekend.

Can you keep your same phone number? We have had it for 20+ years and not wanting to change it.
You can have your old number imported. Just takes a bit longer to get up and running. I chose my own number.

I currently do daycare in another home, but we have been considering converting our basement at our home and saving the money we spend on the second home. I will simply unplug the Nettalk phone at the old place and plug in at the new. Same number, no hassles. I'll happily pay $20 a YEAR for phone service!
MyAngels 07:44 AM 07-31-2012
I have to have a landline here, too. We got one of the bundle plans (phone/internet/cable) which includes any long distance calls at no extra charge. It's still a pretty penny every month (and seems to be increasing lately )

I'm not necessarily a techie type person, but I've got to say I really love my smartphone . I've given the number out to all but one of my daycare families and they don't abuse it at all. The one I didn't give it to would abuse it and that's why I won't give it to them

I guess if they started abusing it I'd put 'em on the reject list and force them to use the landline .
sharlan 08:17 AM 07-31-2012
I have both. I use my cell for daycare. Only a couple of parents have my home phone number. I live the convenience of a quick text versus a long winded phone call.
Blackcat31 08:25 AM 07-31-2012

I have BOTH a landline and a cell phone. I have a landline at both my home and at my daycare.

At first I didn't give my cell number to anyone other than family and a few close friends but now I have learned that texting is a simply way to communicate little things that don't require a response or approval from me. I appreciate that.

There are a few daycare parents I would NEVER give my cell number to but only because I think they would take it as a sign of friendship and although I simply don't answer when I am busy or am on my off time, or when it is someone I dont wish to speak too, I would rather not have a ton of missed calls or useless texts from them so they have landline numbers only. This is only an assumption about them but so far my cell number hasn't come up as somehting they need so I dont visit the subject just in case.

NONE of my parents abuse my phones and NONE of them ever call my home unless it is an emergency. Very few text since I dont usually have schedule changes as most my families are 5 day a week families which leaves little to change.

I have unlimited texting/minutes and have my cell, landlines, internet service and satellite TV (at home) all bundled together.
justgettingstarted 09:13 AM 07-31-2012
I hadn't had a land line in over ten years until I started the daycare - licensing requires that we have one. I like having a separate business line though. We know every call coming into the landline is for the daycare so DH just doesn't answer it. And my cell is for personal use only so it's worked out nicely. I originally didn't want te added expense but at least it's deductible
jojosmommy 06:25 PM 07-31-2012
Cell only. Had both until I realized that I was being charged over $40 in TAXES each month. Check out your bill, you will be appalled.
PitterPatter 08:38 PM 07-31-2012
I have both but I have the thrifty caller on the landline where I only pay $20 a month but I get charged for each outgoing call. I only use it for advertising daycare and other business. My clients call both phones. I give my cell because if we are out and there is an emergency I need to know ASAP. OR if we are out and a child gets hurt I have a cell phone.

I think a landline is important for emergencies in case the cell phone dies or gets lost in the sofa etc.
nanglgrl 10:15 PM 07-31-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I have both. I use my cell for daycare. Only a couple of parents have my home phone number. I live the convenience of a quick text versus a long winded phone call.
Exactly, my parents always text me and it saves me so much time and is to the point. I also like to use it to send them pictures of their kids when they are doing something special....and have found it helpful if I have a child going through separation anxiety who stops as soon as mom gets in her car. It's nice to send mom a quick photo of her child playing so she doesn't think he/she is unhappy all day.
We use Sprint and I haven't had a problem, and we've had it for about 6 years. It's really cheap (less than $175) a month for 3 phones, unlimited data and 1500 minutes. We also get free nights/weekends and calls that are to any other cell do not count against our minutes regardless if it is in network. I talk on my cell a lot to friends, my hub by doesn't use his much and my daughter only uses hers to text me and we never come close to using all 1500 minutes. I don't know how much this varies across the states but I find it very reasonable, especially since I have a smart phone and use it for so many other things.
nanglgrl 10:18 PM 07-31-2012
[quote=thinkinboutstarting;249509]I hadn't had a land line in over ten years until I started the daycare - licensing requires that we have one. I like having a separate business line though. We know every call coming into the landline is for the daycare so DH just doesn't answer it. And my cell is for personal use only so it's worked out nicely. I originally didn't want te added expense but at least it's deductible [/QUOTE

Things may have changed in the last couple of years but your first home phone line is usually not deductible even if you use it only for childcare. If you had a second land line it would be deductible but not the first land line.
FCCProvider 04:45 AM 08-01-2012
I have a pay as you go phone for daycare. My parents only have that number, and it is turned off by 8PM. I pay about $15 about every other month to top it up. I get free incoming calls, and that's what they are for the most part. I do also have a home phone (only because its required) and a personal cell phone that parents do not have the number to.
safechner 07:11 AM 08-01-2012
I have cell phones only. I must admit I hate a landline because there was so many telemarketer call u pretty much. I decided I disconnected a landline in 2005 that I pay $85 a month and I only pay $65 a month for my two cell phones so I saved $85 a month. I still have on my plan now after my contract up in 2006.

I preferred to keep our cell phones because it is so much easier. I don't use much but I do text a lot (unlimited texting) and my husband don't talk his cell phone much but whatever we have our minutes left and it will roll over until next month. I have plenty minutes in my plan due to roll over.
Blackcat31 07:16 AM 08-01-2012
[quote=nanglgrl;249820]
Originally Posted by thinkinboutstarting:
I hadn't had a land line in over ten years until I started the daycare - licensing requires that we have one. I like having a separate business line though. We know every call coming into the landline is for the daycare so DH just doesn't answer it. And my cell is for personal use only so it's worked out nicely. I originally didn't want te added expense but at least it's deductible [/QUOTE

Things may have changed in the last couple of years but your first home phone line is usually not deductible even if you use it only for childcare. If you had a second land line it would be deductible but not the first land line.
I don't think it matters if it is a cell or a land line. First line is not deductible. Here is what Tom Copeland says:

"You can't deduct the first telephone line into your home (land line or cell phone). You can deduct the business portion of a second (or third) phone line into your home. If your cell phone is the first line - zero deduction. If it's the second line - 99% deductible."

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44947
Country Kids 07:21 AM 08-01-2012
I have had telemarketers start calling my cell phone now!
Tags:cell phones, land lines, poll, telephones
Reply Up