Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sensory Bins-
My3cents 07:25 AM 03-25-2014
There has been lots of post about sensory bins but here is my question-

How do you store and organize your sensory bins, items etc...?

I know there is tons of stuff on pinterest but I am curious about what really works in a daycare setting, and for spaces with not a lot of storage room-

Hoping for some good feedback, pictures if possible,new ideas

Do you leave your sensory area out or do you take it out?

Thank you~
SilverSabre25 07:35 AM 03-25-2014
You mean, how do you store things in between using them for a particular bin? in theory, ziploc bags in a box on a shelf. In reality, I lose them most of the time. Or forget to rotate the bin.

If the filler is food-based I keep it in a big ziploc in the freezer
SilverSabre25 07:44 AM 03-25-2014
oh, and some things get stored in the box for that theme/holiday
momofsix 07:46 AM 03-25-2014
First off let me clarify that my sensory bins are generally NOT what's going around on pintrest. I think many have lost the "sensory" part and turned it into more of an exploratory bin of themed toys.
With that said I have a small variety that I rotate through the year. My bin is an underbed storage box that has wheels that I picked up from Target. I keep it under our train table and it's available to the kids only when I roll it out from under the table.

Winter: I bought bags of fake snow and throw in some cars/snowplows/shovels/scoops...

Colored macaroni: I'll use the macaroni on it's own with scoops, measuring cups etc. or I'll add some little letters for a little scavenger hunt type thing.

Colored rice: use the same as macaroni

Outer space: I use aquarium gravel (black with a little neon colors mixed in) along with the Toobs space set and a set of planets.

Dinosaurs: I use oats in the tub with dinow, rocks, sticks etc.

Sea animals: water in the tub with plastic sea animals and shells

Water beads: fun with anything or alone in the tub!!!

Throughout the year any base can be used by itself along with measuring/pouring/sifting tools.
I store my noodles/rice/gravel etc in old animal cracker jugs from sam's club! (yes I'm cheap!) I have one shelf dedicated to my texture tub-that's it

(This is all I can think of off the top of my head-I'm too lazy (tired) right now to be sure that's it-probably not lol)
llpa 08:10 AM 03-25-2014
My bins are from Walmart. $2.99 each. They are about 18x25. Just big enough for two to share. I use them on a kid size table or on a plastic tablecloth on the floor. I have the sand bin out daily and a bin full of large pebble type rocks in the truck/block area. The water tray is once a week. I also use rice, macaroni, water beads , oatmeal, birdseed and anything else that seems like fun of course I have no infants to worry about, so that makes it easier here. Not sure how to attach pic... Srry
Meyou 08:12 AM 03-25-2014
I have 4 bins with different themes available. I rotate the themes in 2 bins every 6-8 weeks. I keep them in 4 clear plastic totes that are about 12"x18"x6" with different mediums (rice, macaroni, beans, puzzle pieces, rocks, sand, oatmeal, gems (round glass aquarium stones). The kids play with them at the table on their knees.

I keep the non-used mediums in large ziploc baggies if I'm saving them. I have another tote in the closet with extra bits. Seasonal or holiday items, extra cups, spoons etc and a few little toys.

Right now I have the following bins:

Easter: beans as medium, plastic eggs, pom poms, cups and spoons, a little bunny, lamb and chick.

Spring: steel cut oats at medium, fake flowers and little pots and a mini garden set that I found a couple of years ago with shovel, rake and spade.

Alphabet: beans as medium, felt trees made toilet paper rolls, foam alphabet letters with felt on the back so they stick to trees, pom poms and a mini Chicka Chicka Boom Boom book

Fishing: colored rice as medium, felt fish with magnets inside, two fishing poles, cups, spoons and a few sea creatures.

I also put a bin of animals, people and other little figures on the table so they can grab some to play in their bins.

I also do snow bins ALOT during the winter. I have a big tote, fill it up with snow and give them buckets, shovels, cups, spoons and a few toys to play with. Hours of fun.
nanglgrl 10:39 AM 03-25-2014
I just use these bins I bought at WalMart. They are only big enough for one child at a time but it works well into group.
Attached: image.jpg (83.0 KB) 
nanglgrl 10:41 AM 03-25-2014
Well my last post didn't upload one photo. These are the bins all stacked under the sand/water table. I usually only have one out at a time.
Attached: image.jpg (80.4 KB) 
Meyou 10:51 AM 03-25-2014
Those are similar to my bins but mine look a little deeper.
Tags:sensory bins
Reply Up