Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>a friend of my daughters is pregnant
Maggie 09:12 AM 06-02-2015
She is only a couple of months along but because infant spots are so hard to find she's already looking for childcare. I most likely won't have a spot for her but she wants some advice on what to look for and what to ask when visiting potential providers. I can give her plenty of advice for home daycare but I have no clue what to tell her when it comes to interviewing centers. Any suggestions?
heyhun77 10:46 AM 06-02-2015
For centers I would ask about rartios, division of caregiving (if each teacher in the room assigned as lead caregiver for certain children or all the teachers just handle whomever as needs arise), I would try to get a true feel for how the teachers meet the needs of all the infants in the room. I was in a center where the infants really cried most of the day because the teachers went trained in picking hip on infant cues before they got to crying. The other center I was in the lead oinfant teacher of the uounfg imnfants felt that should all be on a schedule so the babies cries a lot because they were not fed or put down for naps on demand. Both were hard on my heart was a teacher in a different room because I could hear it all day long. I used to have to wear headphones in the lounge areas because I could deal with the crying or I would spend all my break time in there rocking babies.
Annalee 10:52 AM 06-02-2015
I would ask a center if the person I leave my child with is whom I will see my child with at pickup. This is the biggest complaint in my county. Parents ask a question but can't get an answer because it depends on what time of day and who was with the child at the time and some centers can't narrow that down.
AmyKidsCo 01:09 PM 06-02-2015
Ask what their staff turn-over rate is, staff education/experience, how many caregivers your child will have in a day or week. And I'd ask for names/numbers of other parents to get their opinions.
Maggie 04:01 PM 06-02-2015
Thank you for your replies, this information will be very helpful to her. I would have never thought of any of those things to ask.
Reply Up