Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When You Really Need a Substitute - Any Ideas How to Get a Good One?
Sergio 05:03 PM 01-21-2016
My wife has been a DCP for about 6 months now, and she is absolutely lovin' it! However, with the flu season upon us, we have encountered our biggest obstacle yet.

When you have an occasional doctor's appointment, I understand that you could simply tell the parents that you are closed on that day. But what do you do, if you have regular doctor's appointments, e.g. once every 2 weeks? Or what if you fall sick and need 3 days of rest?

I think that my wife should hire a temporary substitute that is both, licensed and insured. In fact, I wanted to work with a local staffing agency, e.g. http://www.tempcare.net, although they may be quite expensive, but then I searched this forum and didn't find any information about such agencies.

Do you think that hiring a substitute is the right thing? What did you do, when you really needed someone to substitute for you?
Thriftylady 05:05 PM 01-21-2016
I wish I could find a good one. Do you have a friend or family member that would be a good fit? It might be easier to go that route.
Sergio 05:13 PM 01-21-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I wish I could find a good one. Do you have a friend or family member that would be a good fit? It might be easier to go that route.
Unfortunately, not for the type of assignments that I mentioned. A friend was willing to help out one day every few months, but I like the suggestion to close the daycare (which I found here) better.
Thriftylady 05:37 PM 01-21-2016
Originally Posted by Sergio:
Unfortunately, not for the type of assignments that I mentioned. A friend was willing to help out one day every few months, but I like the suggestion to close the daycare (which I found here) better.
Yeah I really wish my mom was still alive she would help me in a heartbeat. I don't really know anyone who I really trust with the kiddos. So I usually end up letting the parents decide if they will not come that day or (for certain kiddos only) if the parents want me to take them with me.
Pepperth 03:58 AM 01-22-2016
I'm struggling with this as well. I've been lucky in that my husband has been able to do the bulk of the running with the kids, and I've closed for days when I know well enough in advance (for something I don't want to miss at school.) I'm hoping I can find another provider locally who wouldn't mind sharing the cost of keeping somebody certified, but haven't had much success yet.
Josiegirl 04:04 AM 01-22-2016
I think a lot of us our in the same predicament. I wish the resource referral agency had some type of set-up that listed subs and all you needed to do was call and say Help, I need someone! Kind of like the school systems have in place for substitute teachers. I would love doing something like that(being a sub for area dcs) if it was full time work.
kendallina 10:57 AM 01-22-2016
I agree with PPs who suggest having a trusted family member/neighbor/friend if you can. Finding a sub that you trust with your business and these little people's lives is very nerve-wracking.

If you don't aleady know someone that you trust, does your city have a facebook page for moms or just community members? What about talking with your current families...maybe they know someone. Does your wife do field trips with the kids-I always met a lot of moms at library storytimes...perhaps she'd develop some friendships there.

I finally have a sub this year (a very good friend of mine) to cover my appts and maternity leave. I'm keeping her next year but really have to give her at least 1 full day a week of work in order to keep her here. After that, she said she'll be ready for more work (she's currently a stay at home mom) and I won't be able to give her more days, so I'm going to lose her.
BabyMonkeys 11:48 AM 01-22-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Yeah I really wish my mom was still alive she would help me in a heartbeat. I don't really know anyone who I really trust with the kiddos. So I usually end up letting the parents decide if they will not come that day or (for certain kiddos only) if the parents want me to take them with me.
This is exactly what I do. I don't know anyone that would be able to help, and there is no way I would be able to hire a stranger. I stayed home with my own kids because I'm absurdly paranoid.
NillaWafers 01:02 PM 01-22-2016
Ugh, I wish getting a sub was viable for me. CA's laws are kinda counter-productive for that though A sub is still an employee even if they come 1 hr a month! So you must pay for workers comp, and do the whole tax thing.

I wish I could find someone who just subs for a living so they'd be a 1099, I wouldn't even mind paying taxes but 80 bucks/mo for workers comp for someone 1-2 hrs a month just doesn't work out for me financially
Laurel 10:08 AM 01-23-2016
My wife has been a DCP for about 6 months now, and she is absolutely lovin' it! However, with the flu season upon us, we have encountered our biggest obstacle yet.

When you have an occasional doctor's appointment, I understand that you could simply tell the parents that you are closed on that day. But what do you do, if you have regular doctor's appointments, e.g. once every 2 weeks? Or what if you fall sick and need 3 days of rest?

I think that my wife should hire a temporary substitute that is both, licensed and insured. In fact, I wanted to work with a local staffing agency, e.g. http://www.tempcare.net, although they may be quite expensive, but then I searched this forum and didn't find any information about such agencies.

Do you think that hiring a substitute is the right thing? What did you do, when you really needed someone to substitute for you?
That can be really hard. I was friends with 2 other providers and we did something a little different occasionally. If we were not at full capacity for whatever reason the other provider's children would come to us. We had an arrangement (with the parent's permission) to watch the other providers' children as 'drop ins'. In that situation the other provider would just pay me for that child, not the parents.

In case I'm not clear, if I had a doctor's appointment I would ask the parent if it was okay that I walk their child over to my provider friend's house and she would watch the child for an hour or so.

You really have to watch it with your licensing regulations though. I had a situation once where I went to my provider friend's house and watched her children. I only had 1 child enrolled at the time and it was my grandson so I just took him with me. I found out later that it was illegal for me to do that. Oops. I couldn't fathom why me being a licensed provider in good standing wouldn't be allowed to sub for another provider in her licensed approved home with the parents permission. But whatever, that was the law.
Sergio 07:38 PM 02-07-2016
So we ended up hiring a 20-year old student from the staffing agency for $24 an hour. She was fine, but I had to work from home and keep an eye on her.
rosieteddy 07:33 AM 02-12-2016
I always had early am appointments (7:30)Then just open the daycare a little late.I chose my Dr because they had evening walkin appointments for emergencies.I think this is why it is important to have personal-sick days in your contract. It is hard for infants and small children to have a stranger come . I had a good provider friend ,we saw each other every work day with the children.Even then the kids acted like they didn't even know her when she tried to sub.This is a main reason why I did not even try to stay open last year.I knew the children would be freaked out if I wasn't here.
momofboys 08:27 AM 02-12-2016
So we ended up hiring a 20-year old student from the staffing agency for $24 an hour. She was fine, but I had to work from home and keep an eye on her.
Maybe I am missing something but if you had to work from home to keep an eye on her why couldn't you just do it yourself or fill in for your wife?
Cat Herder 09:28 AM 02-12-2016
Originally Posted by momofboys:
Maybe I am missing something but if you had to work from home to keep an eye on her why couldn't you just do it yourself or fill in for your wife?
I think I recognize this story line from a short film in the 70's.... it had that guy... Ron J... somebody...

Yeah, that would bother me. (sorry OP, mostly teasing, mostly.)

I married my sub. He is AMAZING at keeping the daycare for my appointments. The kids seem bummed when Brunhilda (me) returns with the veggie snacks. DH is the cookie and slingshot hero...
Tags:sick, sick days, substitute
Reply Up