Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Covering Bite Mark
Unregistered 07:11 AM 10-04-2016
I am currently working for a daycare that has been in business for MANY years. I just started a few weeks ago. Yesterday a 2 year old but another child on the arm. As soon as it happened the lead teacher looked at it and shrugged it off. A few minutes later she produced a sheet of temporary Halloween tattoos to put on kids. Guess where the bitten child's went--you guessed it--right on top of the bite mark, covering it up (it was on the hand). What should I do? This teacher has been at the daycare for 25 years !
Blackcat31 07:32 AM 10-04-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am currently working for a daycare that has been in business for MANY years. I just started a few weeks ago. Yesterday a 2 year old but another child on the arm. As soon as it happened the lead teacher looked at it and shrugged it off. A few minutes later she produced a sheet of temporary Halloween tattoos to put on kids. Guess where the bitten child's went--you guessed it--right on top of the bite mark, covering it up (it was on the hand). What should I do? This teacher has been at the daycare for 25 years !
Report to your director.

NO child's injury NO MATTER how serious, should ever be brushed off like that!

I'd report to your director and let her/him handle it.
JackandJill 07:47 AM 10-04-2016
I would speak with your director. That's awful!
Cat Herder 08:06 AM 10-04-2016
Was the biter an employees child? Just curious..

Sadly, this is common. Definitely speak with the director.
MunchkinWrangler 08:31 AM 10-04-2016
I would have totally said something to that teacher. I would have definitely challenged her actions right then and there. Then immediately reported it.

Terribly irresponsible and not someone that should be working with children.

Not cool.
Cat Herder 08:37 AM 10-04-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
I would have totally said something to that teacher.
From experience: she will say it was part of the "TLC" on the boo-boo report. Similar to a kiss and a band-aid.

If she happened to forget to mention it to the afternoon teacher, it was an oversight.

I have heard this excuse a time or two before, back in the day.
MunchkinWrangler 09:19 AM 10-04-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
From experience: she will say it was part of the "TLC" on the boo-boo report. Similar to a kiss and a band-aid.

If she happened to forget to mention it to the afternoon teacher, it was an oversight.

Oh, I'm sure!

I would have found it hard not to say something!
Play Care 09:21 AM 10-04-2016

Why am I surprised?
Unregistered 09:40 AM 10-04-2016
The biter is a sort-of favorite child around here. Very precocious and seen as a sort of golden child. Her mom and our director are very close friends
daycarediva 09:49 AM 10-04-2016

Oh my goodness!
DaveA 09:57 AM 10-04-2016

This was what I was thinking also. Still would talk to director about it.
daycare 09:59 AM 10-04-2016
How old is the child that got bitten. What is that teacher going to say if that child is able to talk ?
Unregistered 10:58 AM 10-04-2016
Both children are 2
Pestle 11:06 AM 10-04-2016
Ethics aside, does anybody else think it's idiotic to put ink onto a child's damaged skin?
laundrymom 11:59 AM 10-04-2016
I'm shocked. I've done this since 1987 and never, ever, ever heard of this. How sad. I would most definitely talk to the director and possibly licensing as well. Not for the bite, but for the caregivers actions. How incredibly deceptive.
Baby Beluga 12:07 PM 10-04-2016
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Ethics aside, does anybody else think it's idiotic to put ink onto a child's damaged skin?
Yes! I wouldn't even put a temporary tattoo on a child. So many break out from everything I would be afraid.

When I worked at a center bites were often not reported if the child could not speak and there was no mark

PP, I am curious what did your director say?
Unregistered 12:19 PM 10-04-2016
OP here. I spoke with the director and feel like my concern was brushed aside I was given an "I will look into it" and she didn't ask me for any specifics.
Silly Songs 10:00 PM 10-04-2016
Did the teacher fill out an incident report ? That is usually required so parents know what happened. Parents understand biting happens, but the teacher hiding it leads me to think they cover up other things as well.
Cat Herder 05:12 AM 10-05-2016
The biter is a sort-of favorite child around here. Very precocious and seen as a sort of golden child. Her mom and our director are very close friends
Unfortunately, pressing the director any further may cost you your job. You should file it with your CCR&R, but be prepared to move on to a new job quickly.

Center politics. Just like any other field.
Blackcat31 01:38 PM 10-21-2016
I wonder if there is an update to this?
Febby 08:15 PM 10-22-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I wonder if there is an update to this?
I'd like to know that too. Because even in the crummy centers I've worked in, I've never seen anyone intentionally cover up a bite (or other injury). I don't doubt that it would, though, unfortunately.
Unregistered 10:29 AM 10-23-2016
Originally Posted by Febby:
I'd like to know that too. Because even in the crummy centers I've worked in, I've never seen anyone intentionally cover up a bite (or other injury). I don't doubt that it would, though, unfortunately.
I've worked in a center and I've seen a broken arm be covered up and sexual abuse. Neither was done by an adult, but both happened from other children because the adults weren't watching the children. The arm happened because the woman in charge of the room, I don't have enough respect to call her "teacher", went to the outdoor area and turned her back to 11 3 year olds as she talked on cell phone. She was still on her cellphone as my class came out. One of her kids was crying and no one did anything because "it's not my class" and he was a difficult, and I think misdiagnosed special needs, child. I went up to him and saw his arm was broken. I went to her, and she was still on the phone, and told her this. She went with her normal routine which was lie and deny. I called the director and nothing happened and they lied to the parent. The child was taken out, because he told the mom what happened. Next incident, same lady, during nap, she sat in the kitchen area and ate her food. At time, she had like 25 students. They could be with one adult during nap. Anyway, one of the children got up and got naked and start touching themselvs. This was all caught on the security cams we had. Besides that, many children went home and said "Jane was naked". Police were involved and I quickly quit after that. I do remember telling the police, as they claimed it wouldn't go back to my boss, I've spoken about the adult and she should be fired she is very neglectful. The report was even listed on the state's website for the daycare as it is public info. I couldn't understand why they wouldn't fire her. IMO, you go to the director once. When nothing is done and you witness it, go to the authorities.
CalCare 11:33 AM 10-23-2016
Wait a second. During nap, a child stood up, got undressed, touched their self and you felt like that was sexual abuse? What was the abuse? And what was the cover up? I don't get it. I'm actually confused about the broken arm too. How did the arm get broken? Who saw the accident? What was the cover-up with that?
racemom 12:44 PM 10-23-2016
I've worked in a center and I've seen a broken arm be covered up and sexual abuse. Neither was done by an adult, but both happened from other children because the adults weren't watching the children. The arm happened because the woman in charge of the room, I don't have enough respect to call her "teacher", went to the outdoor area and turned her back to 11 3 year olds as she talked on cell phone. She was still on her cellphone as my class came out. One of her kids was crying and no one did anything because "it's not my class" and he was a difficult, and I think misdiagnosed special needs, child. I went up to him and saw his arm was broken. I went to her, and she was still on the phone, and told her this. She went with her normal routine which was lie and deny. I called the director and nothing happened and they lied to the parent. The child was taken out, because he told the mom what happened. Next incident, same lady, during nap, she sat in the kitchen area and ate her food. At time, she had like 25 students. They could be with one adult during nap. Anyway, one of the children got up and got naked and start touching themselvs. This was all caught on the security cams we had. Besides that, many children went home and said "Jane was naked". Police were involved and I quickly quit after that. I do remember telling the police, as they claimed it wouldn't go back to my boss, I've spoken about the adult and she should be fired she is very neglectful. The report was even listed on the state's website for the daycare as it is public info. I couldn't understand why they wouldn't fire her. IMO, you go to the director once. When nothing is done and you witness it, go to the authorities.
I was skeptical of the OP, but haven't said anything because I must work in an exceptional high quality center, because no one has ever tried to hide any injuries. But, this post is outrageous! I think whoever this is, they are trying to make centers look bad. If the teacher wasn't in the room, and someone else was, how is this her fault? How did "many" children see it, if it was nap? And how is that sexual assault?
Unregistered 02:02 PM 10-23-2016
Originally Posted by racemom:
I was skeptical of the OP, but haven't said anything because I must work in an exceptional high quality center, because no one has ever tried to hide any injuries. But, this post is outrageous! I think whoever this is, they are trying to make centers look bad. If the teacher wasn't in the room, and someone else was, how is this her fault? How did "many" children see it, if it was nap? And how is that sexual assault?
She was supposed to be in the room to watch nap. As she is lazy and overall a bad person, she didn't make them nap. When she thought no one was looking, she went into our employee area (where you can't see the children) and went to eat. She did this often, but that day it turned bad. Exposure is child abuse and what the child did is considered (legally) a sex act. The not sleeping children were exposed to a sexual act due to negligence. She got caught because many parents came and reported their child saw this. The director tried to dismiss it, but as the parents knew there was video cameras they asked to see the tapes. It was on tape and many parents called the authorities. I'm not for centers as I've seen a lot, but this isn't a bashing centers post. This is "the dangers of nepotism" post. I don't know how the arm got broke, but many times she would take the children to our outdoor area and think it was her break. Ignoring them and talking on her phone. Even one time, another child soiled themselves and she said "Good for you, I TOLD you to go before we went outside". Just because someone works with children doesn't mean they're a teacher or even like children. Don't dismiss abuse that others see. You believe me or you don't.
Rockgirl 02:37 PM 10-23-2016
Well, I personally find it difficult to believe that the parents were shown video of a child taking off clothes and performing a "sex act".
catinthebox 02:50 PM 10-23-2016
holly cow, 25 kids for one teacher? What state is this? Where i work at our ratio is 1 to 14 kids. Can't imagine watching 25 kids by yourself, that will be hell.

please also explain to us how they cover up, would like to know more about this .
catinthebox 02:54 PM 10-23-2016
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
Well, I personally find it difficult to believe that the parents were shown video of a child taking off clothes and performing a "sex act".
I hope the child wasn't charge with anything that would have been some BS
Unregistered 03:43 PM 10-23-2016
I'm done explaining, I've already said we were alone during NAPS. How was her aide to have lunch? Ratios are different during naps. Parents have the right to ask to see the security cameras. They were viewed by the parents and subpoenaed by the police. I'm not replying more. You guys aren't listening. Believe it or don't.
Rockgirl 03:51 PM 10-23-2016
I'm done explaining, I've already said we were alone during NAPS. How was her aide to have lunch? Ratios are different during naps. Parents have the right to ask to see the security cameras. They were viewed by the parents and subpoenaed by the police. I'm not replying more. You guys aren't listening. Believe it or don't.
I don't need further explanation. You already said believe it or don't in an earlier post. I simply stated what I thought.
Mad_Pistachio 06:26 AM 10-24-2016
(this is for the original post, not the comment about broken arm and kids getting naked)

so, you went to the director and got brushed off. next step is to move up the ladder: licensing or whatever else is above the director. and up the ladder from there if necessary (not sure what that would be, but there is always an upper guy).
but you've been told right: be prepared to change jobs.
Blackcat31 06:43 AM 10-24-2016
She was supposed to be in the room to watch nap. As she is lazy and overall a bad person, she didn't make them nap. When she thought no one was looking, she went into our employee area (where you can't see the children) and went to eat. She did this often, but that day it turned bad. Exposure is child abuse and what the child did is considered (legally) a sex act. The not sleeping children were exposed to a sexual act due to negligence. She got caught because many parents came and reported their child saw this. The director tried to dismiss it, but as the parents knew there was video cameras they asked to see the tapes. It was on tape and many parents called the authorities. I'm not for centers as I've seen a lot, but this isn't a bashing centers post. This is "the dangers of nepotism" post. I don't know how the arm got broke, but many times she would take the children to our outdoor area and think it was her break. Ignoring them and talking on her phone. Even one time, another child soiled themselves and she said "Good for you, I TOLD you to go before we went outside". Just because someone works with children doesn't mean they're a teacher or even like children. Don't dismiss abuse that others see. You believe me or you don't.
The above quoted posts ^^^^are NOT the same poster as the OP of this thread....

To the poster of this situation... are you in the US or Canada?

You mentioned ratios changing during nap times and you mentioned parents having a right to see video camera footage.

This is untrue in many areas so I am curious as to your location.
Cat Herder 07:23 AM 10-24-2016
Originally Posted by racemom:
they are trying to make centers look bad.
Bad childcare providers are not exclusive to centers. Bad caregivers are not even exclusive to this field.

I told of my experience in monitoring for abuse/neglect/burnout/training needs in centers, only. I have never been hired to do it in home care. That does not make centers look bad, it actually opens the question of who is watching in home settings to free thinkers. The opposite of your claim and a huge liability to my business.

We ALL lose when bad care providers are allowed to continue in any field.
Tags:biting, friend, friends/neighbors/relatives kids - risk, providers own child
Reply Up