Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>If You "Adopted" A Solider What Do You Send?
SunflowerMama 08:19 AM 09-13-2011
What are some of the things you send your solider?

We just did this through www.adoptaussoldier.org and just received their name and address.

I'm so excited for the kids to start working on a few pictures for him but what sort of things do you add to care packages and how often do you send things?

Any info would be great! Thanks so much!
wdmmom 09:21 AM 09-13-2011
Thank you!

This is a great project!

I would send snacks for them...beef jerky, mints, sunflower seeds, etc.

Maybe even some homemade treats or crafts.
daycare 09:24 AM 09-13-2011
lol .... sorry my husband answered this one...

he said dirty magazines..............lol

I did this last year with a few friends and we sent:

fitness magazines, socks, toothbrushes, decks of cards, tons of jerky (home made by my friend) bug spray and several other items that I cant recall.

Very sweet of you to help our men in uniform...
B Lou 09:47 AM 09-13-2011
My husband is a Vet. and as a daycare provider, my daycare has adopted a Marine in the past, We have sent phone cards, cards, baby wipes, snacks, writing supplies, local newspapers, toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss.
Now if your asking my husband he will tell you to take a bos of baby wipes. take out the middle section and hide a bottle of liquior in it. Buy a bottle of scope and pour it out and replace it with liquior.
But more than anything, let the kids color pic. and make cards. Anything they receive will be greatly appriciated. Any mail from home is what they need. Knowing they still have our support. And that we have not forgotten them.
As a wife of a Vet. I thank you so very much for doing everything you can.
Blackcat31 09:56 AM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by B Lou:
My husband is a Vet. and as a daycare provider, my daycare has adopted a Marine in the past, We have sent phone cards, cards, baby wipes, snacks, writing supplies, local newspapers, toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss.
Now if your asking my husband he will tell you to take a box of baby wipes. take out the middle section and hide a bottle of liquor in it. Buy a bottle of scope and pour it out and replace it with liquior.
But more than anything, let the kids color pic. and make cards. Anything they receive will be greatly appriciated. Any mail from home is what they need. Knowing they still have our support. And that we have not forgotten them.
As a wife of a Vet. I thank you so very much for doing everything you can.
Nice suggestions B Lou!! I bet the soldiers love getting care packages.

LOL!! about the liquor part!! Seems like the use for baby wipes are never ending!
Sugar Magnolia 10:18 AM 09-13-2011
Ask him what he needs! Candy and treats are by far the most popular. So are baby wipes! We also sent my friend in the Army and his group 152 movies. They do like hand written letters and postcards. Thank you so much for doing this!
MamaBear 10:21 AM 09-13-2011
My husband is active military (Navy EOD) and when he deploys I send him things like this:

Beef Jerky or Slim Jims
Nuts
Granola Bars
Fruit Snack Bars
Copenhagen (I know... bad habit - but he loves it)
Easy Rider magazines & other biker magazines
Crystal Light powder mixes for drinks
Cookies that wont melt (packaged kind from the store)
Cans of tuna
Baby wipes

Dont send anything that is homemade!! My husband said that when they get things that are homemade baked (cookies, etc), they usually get tossed because there is about a 2 week turn over from when they receive it. Plus they not knowing who cooked it - would just be wasted.

It takes about 10 days to receive things when my husband was in remote areas of Iraq and a little longer in Afghanistan. Make sure that when you fill out the Customs Form when shipping the package - DONT put on the Custom form that you are shipping any type of magazine or movie. They are SUPER strict about anything like that there in customs so that might block your shipment. Just write down a generic list... like "1 Cracker snacks: $2.00" or "3 cans tuna: $4", etc.

I hope that helps!! I have to start doing this again soon later this year when my hubby leaves again. THANK YOU for supporting our troops!!!!!
Tags:charity, military
Reply Up