Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Playdates During Daycare Hours?
DBug 04:39 PM 03-09-2010
I'm curious to see what everyone else does regarding playdates. I have a school-ager that occasionally (ie twice this week) has asked to have a friend over after school. I say no if it will put me over my ratio, but I've been saying yes if my numbers are good. But today I felt a little guilty, since I'm obviously charging my dc kids' parent, but not her friend's.

How do you handle playdates?
Unregistered 05:18 PM 03-09-2010
Originally Posted by DBug:
I'm curious to see what everyone else does regarding playdates. I have a school-ager that occasionally (ie twice this week) has asked to have a friend over after school. I say no if it will put me over my ratio, but I've been saying yes if my numbers are good. But today I felt a little guilty, since I'm obviously charging my dc kids' parent, but not her friend's.

Ive always looked at it this way my kids are my kids not daycare kids and its there home they live in and they have to have friends outside of daycare so my oldest 10 gets to go outside without me as long as he is in eye sight, he can have 1 friend over at a time, go upstairs etc. because its his home and I tell my older daycare kids this if they as why SO and SO can go outside etc etc etc.
momofboys 05:36 PM 03-09-2010
Originally Posted by DBug:

I do a playdate with a friend of mine on ocassion but I only have 3 kids here during the day & then my friend comes over with her child who is close to the age of the three kids I have here. The parent comes over (& stays) also but then the child is only 2 years old. In reality it is more time with my friend then a true playdate.

It's different b/c this is your child's friend, you wouldn't be charged if your child went over to her friend's home, plus it's not like you are hosting playdates everyday.
MarinaVanessa 05:47 PM 03-09-2010
Personally I don't see how you'd have the energy to take on another child even for just a playdate lol. I don't allow my daughter to have playdates while my dc littles are here unless they're family and of course only if it doesn't put me over my limit. I'd rather focus on my dc littles and not have to worry about other children. I'd either have to include them and have them participate with the other kids and have them use up daycare resources or have them play in my little girls room which I am not comfortable with for fear that my dc kids might want to join them and not participate in our regular activities. I feel like it will disrupt our activities.

That's nice to be able to have a friend come over but here in CA it's against licensing regulations to have any adult in the daycare home other than a dc little's parent for longer than 15 minutes unless they've been tested for TB, gone through fingerprinting etc. and you've notifies the dc parents. Even people authorized to pick a child up can only come in to pick the child up and then has to go.
momofboys 07:09 PM 03-09-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Personally I don't see how you'd have the energy to take on another child even for just a playdate lol. I don't allow my daughter to have playdates while my dc littles are here unless they're family and of course only if it doesn't put me over my limit. I'd rather focus on my dc littles and not have to worry about other children. I'd either have to include them and have them participate with the other kids and have them use up daycare resources or have them play in my little girls room which I am not comfortable with for fear that my dc kids might want to join them and not participate in our regular activities. I feel like it will disrupt our activities.

That's nice to be able to have a friend come over but here in CA it's against licensing regulations to have any adult in the daycare home other than a dc little's parent for longer than 15 minutes unless they've been tested for TB, gone through fingerprinting etc. and you've notifies the dc parents. Even people authorized to pick a child up can only come in to pick the child up and then has to go.
In my state there is no requirement to be licensed so none of those requirements (regarding my friend/parent being fingerprinted, etc) apply to me (even though I have been fingerprinted & show my reports to potential clients). However, my daycare parents are aware I have occassional playdates & are totally fine with it & in fact are happy I do so.
mac60 03:05 AM 03-10-2010
This is a time where you have to separate bussiness and family. I would definately do it, and when mine were younger they did have a friend over now and then in the summer. It simply is not fair to your own children if they can't "live" normally in their own home.
melskids 04:00 AM 03-10-2010
i allow my 13 yr old to have a friend over and they do their own thing. theyre really good kids though. my 7 yr old has friends his age who ARE part of my daycare so he doesnt need to have any more come over...lol

i did have an issue once with a friend who would have her son call and ask if he could come over and play, (i could hear her prompting him in the backround....the nerve) and i always said yes. it quickly turned into "free babysitting". she got almost the whole summer out of me. not this year....im much smarter and wiser...lol
TGT09 05:33 AM 03-10-2010
I'm having issues with a dcg wanting her friend to come over. Some days in the summer, I will only have her. I won't have a problem then but during the school year, it's just too much!
mac60 05:43 AM 03-10-2010
I am not sure I would allow a dcg to have her friend come over. Let her go play at her parents house.
Unregistered 05:44 AM 03-10-2010
If i have room I allow MY kids to have friends over but there is no way i would allow a daycare child to have a play date at my house while i was being paid to care for her, to many things could go wrong, first of all even if though the friend isnt a dck you'd still be responsible for everything, secondly why would you charge the parents of the dck for her being there and not her playdate pal? Not fair, I'd explain to dck that during your business hours when she is there its just not the right thing to do for her to have a playdate, that she needs to ask her parents if she can have one on the weekends or evenings or when ever they are their to supervise. During the summer if she was the only child i would be more tempted to allow her a playdate however i wouldnt because i just dont think id feel right getting paid for one and not the other but thats just me..
Kiddie Care
TGT09 05:48 AM 03-10-2010
I know, I have very mixed emotions about it!

She used to get off the bus at said friends house but dcg's mom just found out that friend's dad is a sexual offender! YIKES!! That's a whole other story!
Childminder 05:48 AM 03-10-2010
Wouldn't want to be responsible for a child that I don't have all the forms filled out on. If the parents want to fill them out then I might on occasion with pre-approval have her come over. I rather allow the girl go to her house if the parents make the arrangements.
Childminder 05:50 AM 03-10-2010
Originally Posted by TGT09:
I know, I have very mixed emotions about it!

She used to get off the bus at said friends house but dcg's mom just found out that friend's dad is a sexual offender! YIKES!! That's a whole other story!
Oh My! we posted at the same time. Not a comfortable situation.
booroo 06:40 AM 03-10-2010
My children are allowed to have friends of to play. My 13 year old has his friends come over, most of the time they stay in there bedrooms and play. But I dont really care if the kids what to do what Im doing with the daycare kids....I always have food on hand for the friends to snack on when they come over. My girl are 6 and 7, they can have 1 friend between the 2 of them. SO it doesnt get to hairy around here. I will not allow daycare kids to bring friends over, no way, they can have a play date at the friends house or ask mom and dad to get off early to do this at there house.

I also have a friend that comes over durning the day with her 3 year old and she plays with the 2 daycare kids and my 2 year old that I have.... My friends and I talk and work on stuff while the little ones play. She stays for lunch as well, we have a pinic type lunch that day, it normally subways.
Carole's Daycare 06:43 AM 03-10-2010
I allow my son to have a friend over periodically for a play date- but I let the other parent know that I am working and during the day must comply with regulations- therefore have to have basic paperwork filled out/shot records etc- I don't feel guilty at all about not charging for my son's friend. Clients have a contract and are CLIENTS- not family or friends, no matter how "friendly" and amicable the relationship. My family life is separate from my business, and my son is entitled to the same rights and priveledges, including play dates with friends, as any other child in their own home. I do prefer him to go to his friends house instead, so that is much more usual. It's more fun for my son to have a break from the noise and interference of the daycare.
DBug 06:47 AM 03-10-2010
I should probably have been more specific -- it's a dcg that has her friend over to my place, not my own child (I do allow my own kids to have friends over, but they're older so it works out alright).

I absolutely will not allow dcg to go over to her friend's house on my time -- I just can't keep tabs on her that way, and if dcg's parents are paying me to watch her, then I should be the one watching her. But she's had her friend over here on 3 or 4 different days in the past two weeks. I think, besides feeling guilty about the payment issue, I've been noticing how much snack dcg's friend eats after school. I'm okay with feeding my own kid's friends, because I know it will be reciprocated at some point. But I'm starting to feel a little funny about the this particular situation. Basically dcg's friend is getting free after-school babysitting and snack on my dime, while dcg has to pay for her spot.

But I suppose the fact that I feel funny about it may be reason enough to stop allowing it :-)
Carole's Daycare 06:49 AM 03-10-2010
Originally Posted by TGT09:
I'm having issues with a dcg wanting her friend to come over. Some days in the summer, I will only have her. I won't have a problem then but during the school year, it's just too much!
I agree w/ mac- that child's play dates should be at her home. You would need paperwork filled out on the dcg's friend just to be legit, so then I guess if her friends family wants to pay the daily drop in rate so they can spend the day together at your house instead of theirs, so be it. You can't just watch the dcg's friend for free or off the radar. Even once, and it could turn into a habit you have trouble extricating yourself from- while the dcg's friend's family gets free daycare to run errands or clean house.
misol 08:34 AM 03-10-2010
OH NO! I absolutely would not allow one of my daycare kids to have a friend over. My own kids yes, daycare kids no. If dcg should have her own playdates at her own house. If you don't mind having the friend around, then talk to her her mom and explain that you are running a legitimate business during the day so unless she wants to become a client, her daughter cannot come over. Where is her mom anyway? Where does she normally go after school? You could potentially get into trouble if licensing showed up for not having the proper paperwork on her.
jen 09:21 AM 03-10-2010
No way in the world would I let a daycare kid have a friend over!

For my own kids, yep...they can have friends over if I am within my numbers. My theory on this is that my kids shouldn't be "punished" because I do daycare. It is bad enough that they have to share me, their home and their toys, they certainly shouldn't have to forego playdates because of my job.
DBug 07:15 PM 03-12-2010
Thanks for the advice, ladies! I knew I was feeling funny about it for a reason. It's all been taken care of, the family has relocated so they gave their two weeks' notice this morning. Perfect timing (since it had to happen), as this morning dcg asked me if I could make a cubby space & hook for her friend's coat
SimpleMom 07:25 AM 03-14-2010
I don't do it. I have a school ager that has the same requests. I let her know I can't due to my numbers and then let her parents know that she would like to set up a play date sometime at home. I ask the parents if they would like for them to exchange numbers and such.

I used to let the neighborhood kids come over whenever and if we are outdoors and numbers are low they can visit for a short while, but usually I don't because it can get really hard for me to do my job. During the hours I'm open, my house is a business like any other childcare center. I just have to look at it that way.

I don't know if this is of any help, but in the end, it's personal choice. Everyone runs their business a little differently than the next.
Tags:playdates
Reply Up