Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Your Child Own An iPad/iPod/Tablet?
daycarediva 11:21 AM 01-13-2014
It's soooo going on my interview question sheet! I really think it's a reason to not want them in care.

2yo dcg cried for her ipad for 40 minutes before FINALLY going down for a nap today. I sent dcm a text.....they let her play with it until she falls asleep. She has a tablet in the car and an actual ipad all her own at home. She rips books for goodness sake, I wouldn't be giving her an expensive piece of electronic equipment even if it was good for her-----which it's NOT.

Dcb/3 lost his kindle and his mother had one overnighted from amazon because (her words) it's TORTURE at their house when he doesn't have it.

The only child in my care who doesn't own some sort of personal computer type device is the 4yo. I don't think it's coincidence that she is the best behaved and can wait a turn without crying.
Annalee 11:26 AM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
It's soooo going on my interview question sheet! I really think it's a reason to not want them in care.

2yo dcg cried for her ipad for 40 minutes before FINALLY going down for a nap today. I sent dcm a text.....they let her play with it until she falls asleep. She has a tablet in the car and an actual ipad all her own at home. She rips books for goodness sake, I wouldn't be giving her an expensive piece of electronic equipment even if it was good for her-----which it's NOT.

Dcb/3 lost his kindle and his mother had one overnighted from amazon because (her words) it's TORTURE at their house when he doesn't have it.

The only child in my care who doesn't own some sort of personal computer type device is the 4yo. I don't think it's coincidence that she is the best behaved and can wait a turn without crying.
My own two sons/ elementary school-agers, have ipads but they only get to use them on weekends...They are off-limits mon-thurs. Plus they have to complete chores as well.
melilley 11:28 AM 01-13-2014
My 10 yo. dd does have an ipod, but we limit her time on it during the week to an hour AFTER all of her homework and chores are done. She can have it on the weekends, sometimes with limited use, sometimes not, as long as her chores are done and she didn't get in trouble during the week - she's 10, almost 11 and going on 14! So needless to say, some weeks she doesn't have it at all!

I could never imagine a toddler crying over something like that! It really boggles my mind!

I know some of my dck's play on their parents' ipad's or things like that, but I never hear of it unless the dcp's mention something.
daycarediva 11:29 AM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by dapb45:
My own two sons/ elementary school-agers, have ipads but they only get to use them on weekends...They are off-limits mon-thurs. Plus they have to complete chores as well.
My odd/14 has a kindle (book worm) and YDS/8 has a generic tablet so he can play minecraft (like you, weekends only).

I am talking JUST turned 2yos-almost 4yos here. Craziness!
Blackcat31 11:32 AM 01-13-2014
I have a 3 yr old DCK that just got their own i-pad for their birthday.

This kid is also that one kid that has zero patience, zero attention span and has "social" issues with the other kids.

My own kids have i-pad and i-phones but they are 22 and 25 .... LOL!
slorey 11:33 AM 01-13-2014
We just got my 10 year old ds a kindle for Christmas, and let him use it pretty much whenever he wanted because it was new, but since going back to school from vacation he hasn't used it much. My 2 year old ds got a leap pad 2 for Christmas as well, but so far he has only used it when we are at his brother and sister's basketball games so that I can actually see some of the game
I think they are fine as long as you limit how much time the kids spend on them. But it sounds like your dcp's are not doing that!
melilley 11:38 AM 01-13-2014
I don't even own a smart phone let alone an ipad or anything like that....lol
My dd saved up her Christmas money to buy hers otherwise she prob wouldn't have one.
Jack Sprat 11:39 AM 01-13-2014
Our oldest DD (11) has an I-POD however we have had it in our custody for the last 3 months as her attitude is awful.

Our oldest two received Kindles the basic $49 one that you can only read on for Christmas. They love to read.

We are pretty strict here on limiting their technology use.
Annalee 11:39 AM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have a 3 yr old DCK that just got their own i-pad for their birthday.

This kid is also that one kid that has zero patience, zero attention span and has "social" issues with the other kids.

My own kids have i-pad and i-phones but they are 22 and 25 .... LOL!
Wow, my kids are 10 and 12 which I thought was young.

I think the tech-toys are much easier on the parents to keep things quiet. It starts with iphones....ipods.....ipads....what will come next?????

I can see schools using ipads for school work before my kids graduate...no paper, less teachers?????? I don't agree, but I can see it coming!

Several FCC providers in my home state were awarded AWE Computer Learning stations last year. It is a computer/touchscreen, no internet, all learning games are installed already. I set time-limits for each individual use. Bottom line is, technology is here....
Scribbles 11:40 AM 01-13-2014
I think a Kindle would be acceptable for any age as long as it's used for reading only.

As soon as they add internet access or other stuff, it negates the purpose in my opinion.

I did buy my 4 year old a Kindle but I bought the black and white reader only. No web surfing abilities or apps. Just black and white reading.

My child is an avid reader so anything that supports that habit is fine by me.

I would never but a tablet or i-pad for her though.
craftymissbeth 12:03 PM 01-13-2014
My 7yo ds got an iPhone for Christmas

When the idea came up my first thought was "I'm turning into one of those moms".

Financially, it was the most logical decision. We were going to get him an iPad, but he's going to start walking home from school soon (about four blocks) and we want him to have a phone for emergencies. He listens to LOTS of music and reads LOTS of books. An iPhone just made sense... one device that takes care of all of our "needs".

ETA: I set all of the restriction settings to the toughest settings. Even the game apps are all rated for younger than his age group.
safechner 12:26 PM 01-13-2014
I am not surprised! I had a 3 year old dcg who got her own ipad a couple weeks later from Christmas day. She was jealous of my almost 13 years old (she was 12 years old at that time) daughter who owns an ipad. Mind you, she got it for Christmas two years ago due to autism. Dcg told her mother that she wants an ipad and she didnt say anything. Later on, she asked me about ipad and I gave her a little piece of advice that I would NOT give her an ipad since she is soo young but I told her that it would be better small tablets that they do sell for those tablets for small kids. She agreed so she bought something for her ( I dont remember what was it) and she opened the present to find out about it on Christmas day. She was so mad and demanded her to buy her ipad! So she ordered online, she got it for a couple weeks later. She got it and she brought it here in my house and I was not allowed her to bring it in my house. She knew she can't boss of me.

My daughter have an ipod for two years and she got her new iphone 5c a few months ago for her birthday since I think she is mature enough to take responsibility for her age (She is an 11 years old but she acts like a teenager). Also, she had nook but she sold it to my family that she is not into it. She prefers to read the books instead nook. I recommend not to give any ipads or cell phones under ages of 11, that is my personal opinion.
SunshineMama 12:30 PM 01-13-2014
My own kids, age 3 and 5, share the family ipad, and my 5 year old just got a tablet for Christmas. If they want to play it, they have to "pay" for time, with chore sticks (this is the currency we use for chores) from their chore jar. I don't have any behavioral issues with them about it, however it is very regulated at my house.
Brooksie 12:35 PM 01-13-2014
DD has a Nabi, the childproof tablet. I actually really like it since its only learning apps and I get to pick what is on it and it doesn't have internet access. Not that she would know what to do with the internet. But still.
Annalee 12:36 PM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by safechner:
Mind you, she got it for Christmas two years ago due to autism.
Ipads are wonderful for special needs children. While working on my early childhood degree I was able to observe special needs students and the ipad was awesome at meeting multiple learning challenges.
Happily_wed 12:38 PM 01-13-2014
My kids each have an Ipod but they are also almost 18 and 21 LOL. They got their first Ipods as teenagers as Christmas gifts from the grandparents. They have both upgraded but paid for the new ones themselves.

My two daycare girls each have an Ipod and a Kindle. They are 4 and 6 and got them when they were 3 and 5. I do NOT allow them to use them here. First off the Ipods have music that is just not appropriate on them and I don't want to be responsible if they break them here.
nannyde 01:04 PM 01-13-2014

Get used to it. I just have to be gobsmacked by the irony of New York State forbidding ANY kind of screen in child care including any screen for the provider yet this child who is two has a screen from the moment she leaves until she comes back.

What are providers supposed to do with kids who have their happiness in their fingertips?
Josiegirl 02:01 PM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I don't even own a smart phone let alone an ipad or anything like that....lol
My dd saved up her Christmas money to buy hers otherwise she prob wouldn't have one.
We're probably the only 2 adults that don't own any of those gadgets.
I have my trusty desk-top, and my old flip phone. But I can text!
childcaremom 02:06 PM 01-13-2014
My kids don't have anything, and they range in age from 6-16. That's not for lack of wanting one....
melilley 02:11 PM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I think so! I did get rid of my flip phone almose 2 yrs ago, but I have the slider keyboard phone now and I just started texting when I got that phone...lol
Christina72684 02:12 PM 01-13-2014
I don't even have an iPad!!!!! I'd love one but can't afford it. I do have a Kindle but primarily use it for reading. IF I let my 2yr old look at it it's to watch Baby Einstein or something. These kids are gonna have major eye problems when they get older!
Michelle 02:26 PM 01-13-2014
My 10 year old DD has an ipad but it's for school, she goes to private school and they are required.
She has an iphone because she has a lot of activities after school and I need to get ahold of her.
Has anyone ever noticed how impossible it is now to find pay phones?
Also, did you know that you can use an ipad like a phone through facetime?
( something I wish I knew before buying the phone first)

melskids 03:15 PM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Get used to it. I just have to be gobsmacked by the irony of New York State forbidding ANY kind of screen in child care including any screen for the provider yet this child who is two has a screen from the moment she leaves until she comes back.

What are providers supposed to do with kids who have their happiness in their fingertips?
They didnt take screen time completely away, we just have to prove its educational.

417.7 (u) (u) If television or other electronic visual media is used, it must be part of a planned developmentally appropriate program with an educational, social, physical or other learning objective that includes identified goals and objectives. Television and other electronic visual media must not be used solely to occupy time.

I've been screen free for a while. Kids learn, they catch on. I have ones who walk in with tablets and hand them right over to mom before she goes. They know they aren't getting them here.
daycarediva 03:46 PM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by melskids:
They didnt take screen time completely away, we just have to prove its educational.

417.7 (u) (u) If television or other electronic visual media is used, it must be part of a planned developmentally appropriate program with an educational, social, physical or other learning objective that includes identified goals and objectives. Television and other electronic visual media must not be used solely to occupy time.

I've been screen free for a while. Kids learn, they catch on. I have ones who walk in with tablets and hand them right over to mom before she goes. They know they aren't getting them here.
I am not screen free (we do kids exercise/dance dvds when we cant go outside). I have no idea how I am going to prove it's educational, it's a good way to get them all engaged in a physical activity though.

I talked to DCM at p/u. She looked a bit embarrassed, said dcg has been getting way too much time on there and even said she screamed bloody murder in the store when it died and they had to leave their cart and go. I was dumbfounded and just suggested that they start setting limits. 2, like JUST TURNED 2.
sammie 03:58 PM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Make it 3!!! I also have my desk-top and flip phone. But, I DONT text!
AcornMama 04:04 PM 01-13-2014
Well, my dcb (4) said he and his 7yo brother each got iPads for Christmas.

Dcg (3) said she got a tv for her room for Christmas.

I'm going on their word.

My own kids, however, apparently have the world's meanest parents. My oldest two just got their own iPods for Christmas. They are 16 and 18. They have never had a personal electronic device before. Well, 18yo has a laptop for school work. I already dislike seeing my 16yo walking around with headphones in his ears all the time. But they've proved themselves to be responsible, hard working, polite, and friendly teens, and we were happy to get them for them. But I'm glad we didn't start them on electronics when they were young.

Oh, and we gave our 13yo a Nook for Christmas. She'd rather read than listen to music.

I'm sure our kids thought we were mean and slow about electronics. We just wanted to give them lots of time to explore everything else interesting around them before encouraging the plug-in and tune-out mindset.

We also have younger children. None of them have free access to the computer (mine/family) or tablet (mine). But they sometimes get to play on my tablet or dh's phone. And we have a Wii. And digital movie streaming. And I think that's enough.

We also have a house FILLED with books and go together, as a family, to the library almost every week. I think it's less the actual electronic gadget and more the family mindset that makes the difference.

We are, however, woefully inept at sports, and are rather on the geeky side. Oh well.
nannyde 05:09 PM 01-13-2014

I know they made the provision for learning screen time but that includes IDENTIFIED goals and objectives. That puts the provider in a position where the use of screens have to be defensible and documented with outcomes the state gets to decide are or are not acceptable. That will result in more work than the time the provider gets down time due to having the kids do screen. It also opens up the high probability that ANY use of screens can be used as a complaint after the fact when parents have money disputes.

What I'm referring to is using screens for pure entertainment and to keep the kids doing something when the provider wants easy. The parents are using the screen as an entertaining activity.
Evansmom 05:36 PM 01-13-2014
I don't think you can make an assumption about everyone just based on whether they have an iPad for their kid or not. Maybe a better way to phrase it would be "how much screen time does your child use per day?" Because my son and the other kids I know all have iPads however not a single one is allowed to just freely use it. And every one of them can play, invent, imagine and occupy themselves without a device.

We use ours for homeschooling and only allow apps that pertain to that. We have logic games too. But that's all. I think there is a way to allow kids to use technology without over doing it. Unfortunately from what the OP and others here describe, the parents you know aren't keeping that balance.
AngiesCareXYZ 07:17 PM 01-13-2014
I have an almost 3 yr old and an almost 5 yr old. They both got nooks for Christmas. They get to use it after the DC closes for the day. All of the DCK either have their own or get to use iphones or kindles. One of my DCK is super smart. I asked her mom about the apps that the DCK uses. I know have those same apps on my children's nooks. I have another DCK that gets to use the iphone to watch Mickey Mouse club house. She throws horrible tantrums and has a very hard time socializing with the other children. ...She is also an only child. Does that really make that much of a difference? I have never cared for a child that has such an introverted personality, that was not diagnosed with a mental illness of some sort. ....Anyways, My husband and I thought that our kids would be so excited to have the tablets.....They rarely play them.!? They would rather play together.
Meyou 12:55 AM 01-14-2014
My kids all have kobos for reading and access to a desktop computer (mine) and a tablet (mine). My teens have android phones with no data but they can use wifi at home with them. We don't have tv's (other than one hooked to a PS3) and any tv they watch we download for them. They have DS's and we have a wii but they don't use the wii very much at all.

We turned down ipads/tablets for all the kids for Christmas from family this year. There are many things they can be doing other than poking a ipad for hours IMO.

We are planning on getting a new laptop soon. Our old one is dying and can't be moved (or she gets very angry!!!) and it would make homeschooling easier since we use some web based lessons.
Play Care 02:48 AM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
I don't think you can make an assumption about everyone just based on whether they have an iPad for their kid or not. Maybe a better way to phrase it would be "how much screen time does your child use per day?" Because my son and the other kids I know all have iPads however not a single one is allowed to just freely use it. And every one of them can play, invent, imagine and occupy themselves without a device.

My dd's each have an ipod. They listen to music on them and have a mix of educational and fun apps. We do limit the time they get to use them, and they spend hours playing, reading, etc.
melskids 03:04 AM 01-14-2014
I know they made the provision for learning screen time but that includes IDENTIFIED goals and objectives. That puts the provider in a position where the use of screens have to be defensible and documented with outcomes the state gets to decide are or are not acceptable. That will result in more work than the time the provider gets down time due to having the kids do screen. It also opens up the high probability that ANY use of screens can be used as a complaint after the fact when parents have money disputes.

What I'm referring to is using screens for pure entertainment and to keep the kids doing something when the provider wants easy. The parents are using the screen as an entertaining activity.
Exactly. I'm hearing ya! That's why I'm going screen free....I'm not going to be bothered with all of the documentation. And we all know they get enough screen time at home anyway. They don't need it here.

I have a mom that said recently "junior was up until midnight catching up on his shows since you don't allow them here...he may be tired."

Um, junior is 2. What "shows" is he catching up on until midnight?! More like mom needs a babysitter and the TV is convenient. Way to go placing the blame on me. SMH
daycarediva 03:38 AM 01-14-2014

We use ours for homeschooling and only allow apps that pertain to that. We have logic games too. But that's all. I think there is a way to allow kids to use technology without over doing it. Unfortunately from what the OP and others here describe, the parents you know aren't keeping that balance.
It was a JOKE, relax.

I also don't think a 2yo needs unlimited access to ANY electronic device. I do have a 'screen time/views' question I go over with on interview, but parents DO NOT see ipad/ipod/tablet as a screen. They think screen=TV. Some think I want them to write down their childs favorite tv shows, and most lie about it.
MsLaura529 04:20 AM 01-14-2014
Exactly. I'm hearing ya! That's why I'm going screen free....I'm not going to be bothered with all of the documentation. And we all know they get enough screen time at home anyway. They don't need it here.

I have a mom that said recently "junior was up until midnight catching up on his shows since you don't allow them here...he may be tired."

Um, junior is 2. What "shows" is he catching up on until midnight?! More like mom needs a babysitter and the TV is convenient. Way to go placing the blame on me. SMH
THAT is ridiculous!

My DD just got an android tablet for Christmas. She will be 5 in June. DS got an vetch innotab, he's 3. They are not allowed to play them until daycare is closed, and then they only get a half an hour on them. DD's favorite thing to "play" on there is an app that I downloaded that reads her stories from the Bible in kids versions. She LOVES it. DS will normally watch an episode of Paw Patrol or play his letter tracing game on his. (Although he only plays it about half the times that his sister does). Things will come up where DD doesn't get to play it at all (like if she needs to clean her room first, or if she's had a bad attitude).
momofboys 09:25 AM 01-14-2014
We don't have an iPad or tablet of any kind in our home. I do have my own android smartphone & an ollllllllldddddd desktop pc but we don't plan to make any changes to that. Our boys are 12, 10 & 6 & are so deprived b/c they don't have cell phones or tablets or ipods. We do have an Xbox w/Kinect & they have DSs but they are only allowed to use them on a limited basis. Last night they lost that privilege as everyone got to bed late.
nannyde 12:01 PM 01-14-2014
I'm curious as to how young the screens are actually keeping the kids happy and occupied without needing an adult to manage the electronic. (By manage I mean not having to set up anything other than to start something and not have a risk of the kid doing something to instantly break it.)

I've only seen an IPAD once in my life and didn't lay my hands on it. I've seen parents hand infants their phones a lot.

I just wonder how young is the youngest child who can manage it WITHOUT an adult involved.

Also... did the age of independently using it go down in the last year or two?

Anybody know?

If a new two year old is able to stay occupied for hours with it and flips out if she doesn't have it... I'm guessing she can operate it with little adult. I wonder how much is just tv watching on it or if a kid that young can do something other than just watch shows. Having the attention span to use it for hours means that it has to be very stimulating. I can't imagine it being like TV where the kid runs house while the TV is on. They would have to be ON it to be entertained for long periods of time.

I really wonder if it won't be long before screens are built into cribs. The bottom of cribs.
Annalee 12:10 PM 01-14-2014
I'm curious as to how young the screens are actually keeping the kids happy and occupied without needing an adult to manage the electronic. (By manage I mean not having to set up anything other than to start something and not have a risk of the kid doing something to instantly break it.)

I've only seen an IPAD once in my life and didn't lay my hands on it. I've seen parents hand infants their phones a lot.

I just wonder how young is the youngest child who can manage it WITHOUT an adult involved.

Anybody know?

If a new two year old is able to stay occupied for hours with it and flips out if she doesn't have it... I'm guessing she can operate it with little adult. I wonder how much is just tv watching on it or if a kid that young can do something other than just watch shows. Having the attention span to use it for hours means that it has to be very stimulating. I can't imagine it being like TV where the kid runs house while the TV is on. They would have to be ON it to be entertained for long periods of time.

I really wonder if it won't be long before screens are built into cribs. The bottom of cribs.
Personally, I do not care for an ipad. Have had my laptop for 7 years and got it to do online class work while obtaining my ECE degree, plus I now keep all my daycare business in it as well. To me, ipads are only good for games, and searching the web....but ipads are beneficial for my sons with school programs that are now on there...extra work placed on there by their teachers....the ipad makes it enticing and fun for my boys! I do like that part!
Meyou 12:38 PM 01-14-2014

Anybody know?

My 2.5 year old niece can unlock a smart phone, find her game apps and play them. She can also access the picture gallery and take pictures and reverse the camera so she can see herself on the screen. She's been doing it for months. She can easily chose and play games on a ipad too.
Blackcat31 12:56 PM 01-14-2014

Anybody know?

I have a DCG just shy of 2 years old. She can manage her mom's i-phone by herself. 100%.

Other than mom handing to her, she is capable of turning it on (even says "Ooh wait" while start up screen is on), taps the app she wants to play and then sits down and proceeds to do so.

I have also seen little ones....like 12-18 months know how to flick their finger across the screen to find what they want. One sibling (not in my care) of a child I have in care is 18 months old and he comes in with his mom for pick up a couple times a week. He always says "Say cheese!" and will take a picture of me with his mom's phone.

So I'm thinking that yes, the age of being able to use....has decreased in the last few years.
daycare 01:06 PM 01-14-2014
I can't recall the name of the comedian that was telling a joke about kids and ipads.

He is African american and he said you know why I can have 20 kids, he responds no not because I am black, but because these days all you have to do is just give them an I-whatever. Instant babysitter everywhere you go.

Of course it was much funnier when you he said it.

Another thing that happened recently. I have an asst who is 19. She is great. One day she asks me why so many of the kids have horrible cognitive skills. Why are they socially delayed.

I told her the next time she went out into public, grocery store, restaurant, doc office and etc. I want you to count the number of children you seen with some kind of electronic device in front of their faces. She started this on a Tuesday and came back exactly one week later and said it was so many I lost count.

As much as I love tecnology, too much of anything is bad. It is sad that parents don't see the damage that is getting done by these devices.

None of my own kids have one, I do, but they can only use it when everything they need to do is done and between 3 of them, they don't get much use out of it.
KDC 01:07 PM 01-14-2014
My son is 8 and has an ipad. He reads books, plays math games and uses it to study for his spelling tests. He also plays minecraft and other games -- I'm not going to lie and say its all educational But, it does have some really good educational benefits.

I have three children (8, 6, & 4) and I do allow my children to have a certain amount of screen time. I do not strictly enforce it (as there really hasn't been a need). They play with a lot during a summer or spring break, then get sick of it and find other things. They are not really TV kids at all, but they do like the ipad/computer time (raz kids for reading). They all have ipods (Thanks Grandma!), and my 4 yr. old has it all loaded up with kidz bop songs and veggie tales. My kids have grown up with balance (it's not allowed during daycare hours, for them either) I think it makes them well rounded. It's not one extreme or another. Just my 2 cents
Crazy8 01:12 PM 01-14-2014
my own kids all have them - actually my 7 year old is reading on his ipad mini right now as part of his homework. There is a site/app that the teacher can see what story he read and what level it was and how well he answered the comprehension questions at the end.

Like it or not technology is here to stay and will forever be changing. I feel I'd be doing my kids more harm than good if I didn't allow them (and teach them) how to use these things. And yes, with my younger one it started younger than his siblings.

Now the 2 yo crying for it before nap is a big fat NO!!
spud912 01:25 PM 01-14-2014
My children (ages 4 3/4 and 3) do not have one and to be honest I don't think they would be all that interested. My brother in law got my older daughter (now almost 5) a cheaper computer "thing" when she was 2 1/2 and to this day she maybe pulls it out once every 3 weeks or so for about 15 minutes (now not at all because the batteries finally died).

Neither of them know how to use my computer or smart phone, possibly because I've never given them that option. I guess if I actually had apps to "play" and let them have it I'm sure they would figure out how to use my phone. To be honest, though, they are 3 and 4 and there is no way I would trust them to be careful with something that costs a fortune to replace.

They do get "screen" time via television at about 30 minutes to an hour a night and probably a couple of hours on the weekend. That is MORE than enough so I discourage additional time.

Edited to add: I am not too worried about their lack of technology at this point in their life. They have all the school years (where it is OVER-emphasized, at least here) to figure out all that stuff.
daycarediva 01:27 PM 01-14-2014

Anybody know?

Seeing as how the same girl can unlock my iphone, open it, open facetime, find her moms contact and select it without doing anything else, I'm sure she is a pro and has been using it for a while.

I really just think in this young of an age group, it has become CRAZY obsessive.
jenboo 02:14 PM 01-14-2014
DCG 5 yrs old told me that when she is in time out at home she only gets to use her ipad, nothing else
I would be in time out all day at that house
Evansmom 02:24 PM 01-14-2014
It was a JOKE, relax.

I also don't think a 2yo needs unlimited access to ANY electronic device. I do have a 'screen time/views' question I go over with on interview, but parents DO NOT see ipad/ipod/tablet as a screen. They think screen=TV. Some think I want them to write down their childs favorite tv shows, and most lie about it.
Possibly I miscommunicated my tone in my comment. I'm not disparaging your suggestion to ask about iPad use. On the contrary I agree that it could be a legitimate question to ask at interviews. I realize it was a tongue in cheek joke, but all jokes have a seed of truth to them.

I've been in the biz for 20 years and I've seen a lot of changes. One being that the increase of screen time has coincided directly in my experience to the decline in children to imaginatively and independently play for any reasonable length of time.
daycarediva 03:23 PM 01-14-2014
Possibly I miscommunicated my tone in my comment. I'm not disparaging your suggestion to ask about iPad use. On the contrary I agree that it could be a legitimate question to ask at interviews. I realize it was a tongue in cheek joke, but all jokes have a seed of truth to them.

I've been in the biz for 20 years and I've seen a lot of changes. One being that the increase of screen time has coincided directly in my experience to the decline in children to imaginatively and independently play for any reasonable length of time.
Awesome! Did NOT want to offend anyone. I try not to step on toes.

I DO have a ? about screen time on my interview question sheet. I do want to ask about PERSONAL electronic devices though, as parents never say these things. I have had a SUPER challenging group lately, no impulse control (not even developmentally appropriate lack of impulse control)temper tantrums, whining, lack of social skills, NO imagination, no eye contact in a developmentally normal child, etc. I am terming more THIS year than in the last 7 combined. It makes me sad for this entire generation of children.
Evansmom 03:35 PM 01-14-2014
Awesome! Did NOT want to offend anyone. I try not to step on toes.

I DO have a ? about screen time on my interview question sheet. I do want to ask about PERSONAL electronic devices though, as parents never say these things. I have had a SUPER challenging group lately, no impulse control (not even developmentally appropriate lack of impulse control)temper tantrums, whining, lack of social skills, NO imagination, no eye contact in a developmentally normal child, etc. I am terming more THIS year than in the last 7 combined. It makes me sad for this entire generation of children.
I'm going to add a question about screen time to my interview question list now. It's a good way to get a feel for how parents handle media. Isn't it crazy that we should have to ask a parent how they handle a 1 or 2 year old's media consumption?!

Wow. I had no idea your experience with this was so extreme. I feel for you. I once had a DBC about 2 years ago who was really aggressive. His parents were going through a divorce and I chalked it up to that. But over time it came out that his dad let him watch way too mature programming. Like The Walking Dead and violent super hero movies. I ended up terming them. The child was 3 and was exposed to so much violence through media that I think it had warped him. They weren't a good fit for my program.
daycarediva 04:09 PM 01-14-2014
I'm going to add a question about screen time to my interview question list now. It's a good way to get a feel for how parents handle media. Isn't it crazy that we should have to ask a parent how they handle a 1 or 2 year old's media consumption?!

Wow. I had no idea your experience with this was so extreme. I feel for you. I once had a DBC about 2 years ago who was really aggressive. His parents were going through a divorce and I chalked it up to that. But over time it came out that his dad let him watch way too mature programming. Like The Walking Dead and violent super hero movies. I ended up terming them. The child was 3 and was exposed to so much violence through media that I think it had warped him. They weren't a good fit for my program.
*nodding in agreement* I have TWO 3 year olds who currently watch the walking dead. Not only are they watching it, but they are staying up that late on a Sunday evening. One is not at all aggressive, and the other is. One is allowed to play grand theft auto (the Dad justifies this with 'he likes the car chases.') He is 3. Get him a nascar game, or better yet, play matchbox cars together.

this thread was definitely my way of letting off steam after listening to dcg/just turned 2 cry for her ipad for 40ish minutes. I wanted to cry over the ipad, too! Just for different reasons!
Evansmom 06:17 PM 01-14-2014
*nodding in agreement* I have TWO 3 year olds who currently watch the walking dead. Not only are they watching it, but they are staying up that late on a Sunday evening. One is not at all aggressive, and the other is. One is allowed to play grand theft auto (the Dad justifies this with 'he likes the car chases.') He is 3. Get him a nascar game, or better yet, play matchbox cars together.

this thread was definitely my way of letting off steam after listening to dcg/just turned 2 cry for her ipad for 40ish minutes. I wanted to cry over the ipad, too! Just for different reasons!
I realize what I'm about to say is judgemental but what is wrong with some parents who actually believe letting their child watch adult programs/video games/unrestricted access to media is ok?!?! It blows my mind!

We were watching The Hobbit over Xmas break. We did not take our 6 year old to the movie on purpose. He loves The Hobbit book and has been hearing about hobbits for many years in little stories I've told him. But the movie has Orcs. And honestly they scare me and I'm almost 40. But of course there is a family at the theatre who brought a child who looked to be no older than 4.

Ok sorry. Rant over
Cradle2crayons 07:33 PM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by dapb45:
Wow, my kids are 10 and 12 which I thought was young.

I think the tech-toys are much easier on the parents to keep things quiet. It starts with iphones....ipods.....ipads....what will come next?????

I can see schools using ipads for school work before my kids graduate...no paper, less teachers?????? I don't agree, but I can see it coming!

Several FCC providers in my home state were awarded AWE Computer Learning stations last year. It is a computer/touchscreen, no internet, all learning games are installed already. I set time-limits for each individual use. Bottom line is, technology is here....
My daughters school has iPads. Each child is assigned one the beginning of the school year. They do activities on it that goes along with their power board learning.
daycarediva 03:33 AM 01-15-2014
I realize what I'm about to say is judgemental but what is wrong with some parents who actually believe letting their child watch adult programs/video games/unrestricted access to media is ok?!?! It blows my mind!

We were watching The Hobbit over Xmas break. We did not take our 6 year old to the movie on purpose. He loves The Hobbit book and has been hearing about hobbits for many years in little stories I've told him. But the movie has Orcs. And honestly they scare me and I'm almost 40. But of course there is a family at the theatre who brought a child who looked to be no older than 4.

Ok sorry. Rant over
It's hard for me to NOT get judgy when I see things like that. We saw We are the Millers in theater on date night (eh, I didn't find it all that great) BUT there was a couple there with a probably 2-3 year old. It was soooooo not appropriate for his age. He was on his parents phone though, so I don't think he saw too much.

For older kids ok, for LIMITED recreational use, for educational purposes, I am NOT anti technology. But when your child cannot be separated from it, there is a problem. (I use educational lightly with these 'apps for infants' marketing).
Meyou 05:22 AM 01-15-2014
It's hard for me to NOT get judgy when I see things like that. We saw We are the Millers in theater on date night (eh, I didn't find it all that great) BUT there was a couple there with a probably 2-3 year old. It was soooooo not appropriate for his age. He was on his parents phone though, so I don't think he saw too much.

For older kids ok, for LIMITED recreational use, for educational purposes, I am NOT anti technology. But when your child cannot be separated from it, there is a problem. (I use educational lightly with these 'apps for infants' marketing).
I freaked when I found out my 15 year old went to We Are The Millers. They movie they were suppose to see was sold out so they went to that one instead since it was PG-13 and they could get in. The humor is dirty and it's not the type of comedy I think kids should be watching. She didn't like it BTW. She thought it was gross in parts. Woo hoo!
countrymom 08:30 AM 01-15-2014
we are a gadget family. My kids have tv's in their rooms, I have 3 computers, and Ipad, some Ipods and phones. Our phones dont have data, and they are pretty basic (I wish for an iphone) do my kids (who are 9 to 15) sit and play the gadgets all day, No way. they watch their tv's for a half hour at bed time, but are usually downstairs with us (we do watch alot of cooking shows)

my kids didn't start getting anything till they were about 5 yrs old. Then they got nintendo ds's. I just can't get over the fact that kids are getting younger and younger.

and I'm finding that kids are bringing their gadgets everywhere. Restaurants, church, stores, every where. What ever happened to sitting and listening and behaving.

figures some kids have behavioral issues, live in fantasy worlds and do poorly at school because all they do is sit and stare at the screen.

I will say that my ds (he's 11) is amazing at the computer. He constantly makes videos for me to watch, adds music, makes things appear on the screen and last week made a jeporady game for my 15 yr to present for her english class (it was a big assignment) no one could believe he's 11. Oh, rainbow loom has taken over my ipad lol and facetiming friends, I guess its better than tying up my phone line lol!!
Annalee 08:48 AM 01-15-2014
Originally Posted by countrymom:
we are a gadget family. My kids have tv's in their rooms, I have 3 computers, and Ipad, some Ipods and phones. Our phones dont have data, and they are pretty basic (I wish for an iphone) do my kids (who are 9 to 15) sit and play the gadgets all day, No way. they watch their tv's for a half hour at bed time, but are usually downstairs with us (we do watch alot of cooking shows)

my kids didn't start getting anything till they were about 5 yrs old. Then they got nintendo ds's. I just can't get over the fact that kids are getting younger and younger.

and I'm finding that kids are bringing their gadgets everywhere. Restaurants, church, stores, every where. What ever happened to sitting and listening and behaving.

figures some kids have behavioral issues, live in fantasy worlds and do poorly at school because all they do is sit and stare at the screen.

I will say that my ds (he's 11) is amazing at the computer. He constantly makes videos for me to watch, adds music, makes things appear on the screen and last week made a jeporady game for my 15 yr to present for her english class (it was a big assignment) no one could believe he's 11. Oh, rainbow loom has taken over my ipad lol and facetiming friends, I guess its better than tying up my phone line lol!!
I don't feel tech-gadgets are all bad. My sons still love to fish, hunt, swim, play sports. As long the gadgets do not consume them, I feel they are OK. It is when they lock themselves in a room and don't come out that I would get worried. Let's face it, without computer knowledge, our kids probably won't find a job!
mpb12 07:06 AM 01-16-2014

I have one parent who`s stubborn and just don`t follow rules...It`s not children who`s at fault when it comes to unusual behavior, it`s the parents lack of considerations to others. I have rules and my number ONE rule is that TOYS are not allowed to be brought from home to my daycare, I take it very seriously after many lost toys, broken toys and then the parents asking for replacement. I take it and give it back to the parent and if the child cries I reassure the parent that he will be fine as soon as she`s out of site. Now this same parent hide toys inside her child`s backpack, I get fumed every time the child reach out for it. I now have a NO TOY ALLOWED box outside the door. So, here is my words stamped on my board...Iphone, Ipad, Ipod, or any of its kind are included on my rules of NO TOY ALLOWED...Ican and Ido revocate our contract without notice if you don`t follow my daycare rules. What`s going on with parents? I`m in the business for so many years and I can see how arrogant parents are turning to be lately, there is MEMEME and MYMYMY! If you want your students to succeed and have good grades after your stop having them at your care then just do your job as a good provider..And let the parents know what is your view about it. Most of my students skip grades, my old students are doctors, some are high profile business people, some own their own business, but all of them has gone through college education which makes me very proud of them and my work as childcare provider.. If you love your job...set your rules and explain to the parents what`s your goals while teaching the little angels.
mpb12 08:01 AM 01-16-2014

Anybody know?

I start teaching them how to navigate, paste and copy, as early as 18 months . Nothing wrong about it as long as you set rules and time for it. I do own my own laptops and computer with large screens so it will not hurt their eyes, and no kids are not allowed to bring their electronic items to my daycare. Insurance purpose excuse work perfect too.
nannyde 03:11 AM 01-17-2014
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/tod...ry?id=19332916

Nine month old on ipad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ45r05mvSc

Another interesting one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhGDb_3r8WI
daycarediva 03:34 AM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by mpb12:
I start teaching them how to navigate, paste and copy, as early as 18 months . Nothing wrong about it as long as you set rules and time for it. I do own my own laptops and computer with large screens so it will not hurt their eyes, and no kids are not allowed to bring their electronic items to my daycare. Insurance purpose excuse work perfect too.
So you know better than the AAP who recommends NO screen time under 2 years of age? That it has ZERO benefit.

daycarediva 03:40 AM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by :
The American Academy of Pediatrics is silent on the issue of tablets. But for children 2 and under, their official recommendation is no "passive screen time." Not even for Sesame Street. Instead, they encourage families to have unstructured play and talk time because they believe those approaches help children learn while supporting development.

"That's a time when these young kids need to be developing language skills and learning to recognize a facial expression, not scanning the Internet on an iPad," said Gary Small, author of iBrain and professor of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences and Parlow-Solomon Professor on Aging at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA.
Which is why I have a child who CANNOT make eye contact. The minute his mother walks in, he grabs her iphone.

Which is why I have children who CANNOT sit still for a meal, they are used to having an ipad at the table.

Which is why I have children with ZERO social skills, since people are hard to push buttons on and make them do what they want.

Which is why these children are BEHIND peers (even the one who can count by 2's, 5's and 10's at 2.) and will REALLY struggle in early elementary school. This is lazy parenting and unacceptable.
nannyde 04:02 AM 01-17-2014
Which is why I have a child who CANNOT make eye contact. The minute his mother walks in, he grabs her iphone.

Which is why I have children who CANNOT sit still for a meal, they are used to having an ipad at the table.

Which is why I have children with ZERO social skills, since people are hard to push buttons on and make them do what they want.

Which is why these children are BEHIND peers (even the one who can count by 2's, 5's and 10's at 2.) and will REALLY struggle in early elementary school. This is lazy parenting and unacceptable.
Look at this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0T_ouEWbbo

I want to figure out the youngest age that it can be used with little to no adult. When I say "used" I mean that the baby will play with it without the adult involved or supervising for at least ten ... fifteen minute spurts.
nannyde 04:14 AM 01-17-2014
The end of this one is interesting. The Mom calls out the kids name repeatedly and the kid finally looks up at the Mom and gives her three seconds of eye contact then back to the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW-8uNeqN_0

16 months old.
originalkat 05:52 AM 01-17-2014

So so sad to read some of the stories you all are sharing regarding dc kids and their excessive screen time!! But I do agree with Evansmom in that I have dc kids with ipads and they do not seem to be used in excess.

As for my own kids (almost 7 and 9), we share an ipad for the household. My oldest likes to record videos of herself doing American Girl product reviews and also watch other girls talking about their American Girls on Youtube. My younger likes to watch Netflix. We are not overly strict with it, but I feel my girls have a good balance of school time (we homeschool), time outside, playtime, and screen time. I do take away electronic privileges if their behavior warrants it.
mpb12 09:19 PM 01-17-2014
Everyone has opinions about it...so does AAP. Since I have good friends who are pediatricians I can tell you for sure that 10 to 15 minutes per day will not cause harms to 18 month old. Social issues are caused by parent`s lack of discipline. My own children learned computer before age 2, no issues whatsoever with them. Actually, they love to be outside, snowboarding, skating and swimming. Not that I know better than doctors, but after almost 3 decades of child care professionalism I can tell you what`s fact and what`s not.
Hunni Bee 04:25 PM 01-18-2014

There's a potty-chair that has a tray built onto it with a waterproof (ahem) cover for a tablet. So that the kid will sit on the potty for long periods of time, and the parent can say they're potty-trained because they sat there for two hours and something eventually went in there.

So to answer your question, not very long at all.
nannyde 04:51 PM 01-18-2014
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
There's a potty-chair that has a tray built onto it with a waterproof (ahem) cover for a tablet. So that the kid will sit on the potty for long periods of time, and the parent can say they're potty-trained because they sat there for two hours and something eventually went in there.

So to answer your question, not very long at all.
They already have the ipad holding bouncy seat. Fisher Price aptivity seat.
Blackcat31 08:42 AM 01-19-2014
They already have the ipad holding bouncy seat. Fisher Price aptivity seat.
this baby is 4 months old

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jV-PmSi...%3DjV-PmSiT-3E

I also saw this i-pad holder while searching...
nannyde 10:49 AM 01-19-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
this baby is 4 months old

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jV-PmSi...%3DjV-PmSiT-3E

I also saw this i-pad holder while searching...
I don't know Black. I'm beginning to think if ya can't beat em... join em.

These babies going from swing to screen will never adjust to go play toys. They aren't in our care long enough in the day. I'm seeing babies and toddlers that don't recognize toys as toys.

I'm beginning to think there may be some value in the idea that all we need is space enough for a crib and a stack of ipads. For what I paid for my Lincoln log collection alone I could have five ipads.

What's the point of paying for all this real estate to give them a ton of space? An ipad and a crib would be way cheaper to house than two 300 square foot playrooms and dedicated sleep rooms.

When they are handed a chocolate milk sippy cup and a tablet before they even pull out of my driveway and each morning the first activity on my property is the back seat battle to extricate the tablet out of their hands... it makes me wonder if the baby... toddler.... preschooler CAN accept a go play world for nine hours.

They spend their whole day in withdrawal from the stimulation of lights, sounds, and motion. At some point providers are going to give them what keeps them from crying.
Leanna 02:24 PM 01-19-2014
Look at this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0T_ouEWbbo

I want to figure out the youngest age that it can be used with little to no adult. When I say "used" I mean that the baby will play with it without the adult involved or supervising for at least ten ... fifteen minute spurts.
I find the ap that baby is "using" annoying... "Star. Star. Star. Star." "A." "A." "A." How annoying...and condescending even for babies!

The end of this one is interesting. The Mom calls out the kids name repeatedly and the kid finally looks up at the Mom and gives her three seconds of eye contact then back to the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW-8uNeqN_0

16 months old.
Oh this mom's comments make me sad. "Naomi, do you know how to use the Ipad? For your aps?" She says it all proud like her baby is a GENIUS because she can tap a screen. Sad.
nannyde 02:56 PM 01-19-2014
Originally Posted by Leanna:
I find the ap that baby is "using" annoying... "Star. Star. Star. Star." "A." "A." "A." How annoying...and condescending even for babies!

Oh this mom's comments make me sad. "Naomi, do you know how to use the Ipad? For your aps?" She says it all proud like her baby is a GENIUS because she can tap a screen. Sad.
Do a YouTube search of baby genius ipad. There's tons of them.
Tags:ipad, screen time
Reply Up