Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mom of DCB With Molluscum Asking For Spot Back With Dr. Note
Unregistered 07:58 AM 09-13-2017
I got a text from the DCB's mom asking if she provided a Dr's note if it would be possible to bring him back. They really want to send him to school but will not be able to without me taking him.

She states that the Dr is not concerned about it spreading. Doctor's concern or not, I am not comfortable with this! I can still say no with a doctor's note, correct?
Ariana 08:01 AM 09-13-2017
Yes of course! It's your business not the Drs and furthermore where does the Dr get off saying he is ok to come back when this is highly contagious???
Blackcat31 08:41 AM 09-13-2017
You are the business owner so you get to decide if you will or won't take a child. It doesn't matter what the Dr says.

The Dr isn't assuming liability nor is the Dr allowing this child to come into HIS/HER home. Because it is YOUR home and YOUR business you get the ultimate say.

I understand this is a difficult situation but honestly it's a difficult situation for the family not you.

They need to figure out how to manage their child's illness, disease and/or condition and not expect others to figure it out for them.

It is NOT discrimination to exclude him or refuse to enroll in your program. You can not get in trouble for saying no.

As for managing in the classrooms..... again it's the family's issue to figure out. Each place more than likely has a rule to protect the health and well being of ALL kids enrolled so more than likely the preschool would have a rule of all spots being covered with long sleeves and/or Band-aides. If child has trouble following those guidelines or keeping Band-aides on, he may very well be excluded from the preschool classroom as well.

Here is the info sheet my state provides for this condition. It explains how it's spread, what you can do to prevent and/or treat. I am not providing this so you re-think taking this child...I am only posting the link as informational. Whatever choice you make (enroll or exclude) is 100% YOUR choice and neither choice is wrong.

http://www.hennepin.us/-/media/henne...ider.pdf?la=en
daycarediva 09:36 AM 09-13-2017
It is at my discretion, and due to his refusal to keep them covered, I cannot expose my children to a highly contagious illness.

I wouldn't be a fan of her negotiating.
Unregistered 09:37 AM 09-13-2017
Thank you for the info. I am so sorry to keep going on about this.

The more I think the more mad I get.....Monday he was brought to me with no bandages and short sleeves. I had him keep his coat on until I was able to get a long sleeved shirt for him. It was not until I called mom around lunch time that I was informed of the lesion on his neck behind the ear. After I was informed, I put a bandage on it. This was after he was in school with other kids in the morning and in my home with my children before and after school. On this particular day I did not have any other families in my care. How dare she bring this to me exposed! I have no idea if this was disclosed to the school (as far as him having it in the first place) and I am not sure if that is my business to concern myself with however, they have some nerve sending him uncovered like that. Is this something schools have to inform parents of as far as if their child was exposed?

Yesterday he hugged my child's bare legs as I was holding/hugging her when picking up from school. I had everything covered as best as I could as far as bandaids and long sleeves and hands were washed if I ever saw him touch skin, bandaids, etc. though I think his face may have touched her legs. I am not sure if any lesions made contact with my child. I am not trying to be paranoid about this, but with its high contagiousness, is my daughter automatically next in line for this?

I have half a mind to answer her text about him coming back with a doctors note stating my anger over the exposure on Monday.

They seem to think that because his little brother still hasn't gotten it nor have the parents and that their doctor thinks it is OK to come back that my concerns about passing it here and terminating care are unwarranted. Ugh!
Unregistered 10:00 AM 09-13-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
It is at my discretion, and due to his refusal to keep them covered, I cannot expose my children to a highly contagious illness.

I wouldn't be a fan of her negotiating.
Thank you. That was worded well and I just might use that. I should have said no from the get go. Ugh! Kicking myself.
CityGarden 10:10 AM 09-13-2017
You also have to think of the impact this will have on your business.

The doctor can be okay with it, the parents of that child could be okay with it but I am sure some parents in your program or touring your program would not - which could/would hurt your enrollment. My sick policy is so strict I will send children home for an excessive runny nose - and I don't care to hear "oh it's allergies excuses", etc. I cannot be the best provider when I am sick and I don't want to risk other children being sick so I am strict on my policies.

Also you are not okay with it! Do you really want someone who is pushing you to do something you have already expressed you are uncomfortable with?

I do understand it sucks because you were counting on that income so your own ds could go to preschool but you could also just up the enrichment in your program which will benefit your program and your ds.
laundrymom 10:23 AM 09-13-2017
I think I'd just delete the text. I wouldn't even respond. There is no reason you have to discuss it. Care has been terminated. Period.
daycarediva 10:28 AM 09-13-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thank you. That was worded well and I just might use that. I should have said no from the get go. Ugh! Kicking myself.
Yes, they did initially disclose it, but not to this extent. You enrolled the child based on the information you had at the time. That he only had a few bumps in an easily covered location. That is no longer the case. You worked with the parent on covering the spots all of the time. The child is not allowing you to maintain that agreement. There is no negotiation.
Unregistered 11:24 AM 09-13-2017
You are all the best!!! Thank you all for walking me through this. I told mom that he was brought to me with exposed Molluscum and that he will not comply with hand washing. It is not a risk I am willing to take.

She responded with "can we come back once it is cleared up" type of text. That one will be ignored.

Now I just cross my fingers for the next 2-7 weeks (or 6 months, depending on the website) for the incubation period to be over and hope that all that comes out of this is a lesson learned.

Thank you for helping me think like a strong business owner and not from a place of emotion for this.
Unregistered 11:35 AM 09-13-2017
You are all the best!!! Thank you all for walking me through this. I told mom that he was brought to me with exposed Molluscum and that he will not comply with hand washing. It is not a risk I am willing to take.

She responded with "can we come back once it is cleared up" type of text. That one will be ignored.

Now I just cross my fingers for the next 2-7 weeks (or 6 months, depending on the website) for the incubation period to be over and hope that all that comes out of this is a lesson learned.

Thank you for helping me think like a strong business owner and not from a place of emotion for this.
^^ not that business owners are emotionless, but I was trying to say thank you for helping me get past feeling bad about school and do what needed to be done.
Blackcat31 11:42 AM 09-13-2017
^^ not that business owners are emotionless, but I was trying to say thank you for helping me get past feeling bad about school and do what needed to be done.
This is where most people (owners and clients) misunderstand.

I too have emotions in regards to my business and the situations of others but emotions are feelings they are not actions.

It's when people (owners and clients) think you have to act on your emotions that trouble starts.
Unregistered 03:20 PM 09-13-2017
Hahaha I am loving the "parents-do crazy things" tag
Tags:contagious diseases, molluscum, molluscum contagiosum, parents - do crazy things, sick policy, termination - sickness
Reply Up