Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Extra Clothing?
missmisty 12:32 PM 03-15-2019
Quick question - do you require that parents send a change of clothing? How do you enforce this/get them to comply?

Its in my policy that they send a change of clothing in case of accidents, illness, or spills. However I have a parent who sends diapers and wipes and that's it. I've repeatedly asked them to send a change of clothing. DCG has tummy issues and often has explosive diarrhea that soaks through everything as soon as she goes, and she also has a very sensitive tummy and will sometimes vomit at just strong smells (foods, another childs diaper being changed, etc).

The last time this happened I washed and dried her pants so she had something to wear because it was so cold out. It happened again today (she walked into the room where I was changing a poopy diaper and immediately sat down, gagged, and threw up all over her lap/legs. and honestly, I'm not washing them. I don't have time to do laundry every day for those who have accidents. So today they'll pick her up in only a diaper and shirt/shoes. with another reminder that there was no change of clothing in her bag. I'm hoping that by showing them that I WILL send her out the door like this will get them to comply?

I did keep some extra clothes on hand in various sizes but then parents never bring them back if I send a child home wearing them. I cant keep buying "spare" clothes and then have parents keep them.
Blackcat31 12:36 PM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by missmisty:
Quick question - do you require that parents send a change of clothing?
Yes, I require a complete change of clothing.

How do you enforce this/get them to comply?
Not providing the REQUIRED items = NO services.
Cat Herder 12:37 PM 03-15-2019
Quick question - do you require that parents send a change of clothing? How do you enforce this/get them to comply?
I require a complete change of clothing to include shoes and socks to be kept in their cubby.

I don't allow attendance without it. I send them back home to get it if they "forget" with their children in tow.

It only takes once.

When their kid is close to outgrowing the spare outfit, I send them home in it and keep what they wore that day. They can exchange it back by bringing me a new set if the outfit was a favorite.
missmisty 12:45 PM 03-15-2019
Thank you. This is the same dad I vented about on the venting thread - they don't comply with several policies & it's just getting old. The little girl is sweet and I hate to lose her because she fits so well with my group - but Dad is a real issue lately.

I'll remind again tonight that a change of clothing is required and that if he comes tomorrow without one, he will need to take her back home to get one.
Blackcat31 12:59 PM 03-15-2019
Thank you. This is the same dad I vented about on the venting thread - they don't comply with several policies & it's just getting old. The little girl is sweet and I hate to lose her because she fits so well with my group - but Dad is a real issue lately.

I'll remind again tonight that a change of clothing is required and that if he comes tomorrow without one, he will need to take her back home to get one.
Parents like that are issues because reminders and complaints don't "motivate" him to change his behavior.

You can do that (motivate him) by giving the issues back to him.

No extra clothes = no stay
Food/drink brought from home = go back outside and return with nothing as policies state
No payment or late payment = No services AND a BIG late fee
Not following a schedule/late pick up/early drop off = BIG fees or loss of services
Not arriving in time for meal served = go home and return fed
Arriving in pajamas and bringing clothing = stay in pj's all day or send away at door until prepared for the day

^^^ You can fix any issue you have with a parent if you simply remove yourself from the situation.

People don't change their behavior until their behavior becomes and issue for them. Make the issues the parent's problem not yours.
flying_babyb 05:50 PM 03-15-2019
No clothes no stay!
On the getting clothes back, either send them home in somthing horrid (think ruffly pants on boys ect) or take the route I used. I got cheap tee shirts and wrote with a laundry marker "Borrowed from ____________" Usually worked. I had one parent who was a total turd. I sent her kid in a tee said "STOLEN FROM _______" she stared bringing extra clothes after that (and brought back my shirt).
hwichlaz 11:00 AM 03-18-2019
Getting people to comply is easy. Don't accept children into care without the items they need. It'll only happen once.
MomBoss 11:06 AM 03-18-2019
I have a pair of obnoxious printed pattern pants ment for a 7yr old boy that they have to wear if they dont have extra clothes here. Looks pretty funny on a 2 yr old girl. Once the parents see that and i tell them they have to wash and bring back the next day,they bring extra clothes.
AmyKidsCo 01:30 PM 03-18-2019
My policies state that I will charge $5/item replacement fee for clothes that aren't returned. So far I haven't had to charge the fee.
LostMyMarbles 09:01 AM 03-22-2019
Would it be easier to provide an extra outfit, then to have to leave work due to having a Nakkid child? Some time I want to look at parents and say duh!

I send a gallon zip lock bag with child’s name on it home for them to provide extra clothes. If they forget, they get a call that little Jonny spilled milk down himself and is waiting cold and nakkid for pick up..... tee he he...maybe not cold and nakkid, but you get the point.
springv 09:16 AM 08-24-2020
My step mom's great neice is the exact same way with sensitive smells but she's gotten a lot better since she's gotten older
Mariposa 09:47 AM 08-25-2020
I am required to have spares in addition to theirs. My policy is all preschoolers and school-agers who have accidents. I have pics of them, wrote all over them, and would send reminder pics to parents. I would pause care until returned.
Can't work that way in centers that are not privately owned. They have to have loads and not expect them returned.
Unregistered 01:28 PM 08-25-2020
With diarrhea & vomitting being covid symptoms, I would be calling for pick up.
Mariposa 01:46 PM 08-25-2020
I want to add that I hope it is not done in cold weather-the safety of the child is more important than sticking it to parents.
Tags:clothing - issues
Reply Up