Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WWYD? Dismissing Family?
MNmamaOf4 08:54 PM 01-19-2011
I've been licensed since July but didn't intend on starting daycare until November because I had my 4th baby in September. November came and went and I didn't have any daycare inquiries. December came, I had one phone call, mom only wanted 3 days a week for 3 hours a week for her infant. I preferred to fill the spot with someone who wanted more hours. Also I wasn't real sure I wanted to take on another infant along with my DD. And with only having 1 infant spot available I pushed her off until after the first of the year saying I wasn't going to be starting until January, which was true, because by time she called in December I had already had a lot of things to do with my own kids while my kindergartner was home on Christmas break. I did let her know that if I had someone inquire about a full-time infant position that I could terminate our contract at anytime to take on a full-time baby. So when she called me back on 12/31, she said it'd actually be more hours now, 36 hours 1 week and 24.5 the 2nd week on a rotating schedule. Okay, great, it was more hours than she originally wanted, it may work out okay.

Last week was DCB's first week, by the weeks end she changed her hours again and it would be for 24 hours week 1 and 14 week 2. So I was kind of bummed about that, right now he's my only DC child in addition to my 4 kids. But DH and I talked and it was a little extra income and every little bit helps. Fast forward to tonight, I got a call from another potential DCM and she wants 36-40 hours/week for her 4 month old. She was referred to me by a good friend which helps too, and DH knows her husband from dealing with him at work.

I would really like to have a full-time infant if possible, because with four kids to feed, every little bit helps. We've gone 5 months without my income from my former full-time job and it's been working out okay, but it would be nice to have some sort of income again, plus without it it would defeat the purpose of me getting licensed to do daycare in order to stay home with my kids.

So long story short, WWYD? Do I dismiss the family who only has their infant in my care for limited hours? And it sounds like their hours could change again because she is possibly cutting some of her hours at work. She's young, goes to college and works. I feel bad dismissing them since they've only been coming here since last week, but I'd also like to fill it with a full-time position.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Michael 10:40 PM 01-19-2011
Welcome to the forum Tia!
melskids 01:46 AM 01-20-2011
if you told her from the beginning that her spot could be taken by a full time child, then she knew that it could happen. i say either give her the option to pay the full time rate to hold the spot, or let her go and take the full time baby. she is doing whats best for her by changing her hours around all the time. you have to remember, in this business, you have to do what's best for you. more then likely, she is not going to want to pay the full time rate. but interview the new family first, to make sure they are going to be a good fit. good luck!!!
Cat Herder 03:43 AM 01-20-2011
I recommend you go to the slot system. It is simpler = less stress.

Full-time only, *** number of slots available, come as you need during opening hours. One drop-off, one pick-up, per family, per day.

I swear food tastes better once you do this....
misol 04:00 AM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
if you told her from the beginning that her spot could be taken by a full time child, then she knew that it could happen. i say either give her the option to pay the full time rate to hold the spot, or let her go and take the full time baby. she is doing whats best for her by changing her hours around all the time. you have to remember, in this business, you have to do what's best for you. more then likely, she is not going to want to pay the full time rate. but interview the new family first, to make sure they are going to be a good fit. good luck!!!
I would go with this option. It should be no surprise to her because she was already aware from the beginning that she could lose the spot to a full-timer.
jen 05:46 AM 01-20-2011
I agree with everyone else. Infant care is tough to find, tougher for part-timers. She may agree to pay the full time spot, but either way, you shouldn't short change yourself or your family.
MNmamaOf4 06:45 AM 01-20-2011
Thank you for all of your advice. I'm e-mailing the new mom my contract and such to look over today and then I'll set up an interview with her as well. She did tell me that she's been having a hard time finding daycare for her infant and I believe the baby is adopted, so she wants to make sure she finds the perfect fit as well. This is what my girlfriend told me who referred this mom to me.

I'm also going to mention to my current mom when she drops off today that I did have an inquiry for a full time infant spot. My DH said the same thing if she wants to continue to bring her DS here, that she should pay the full-time rate even if they aren't here. Otherwise ask them to leave so I can take the full-time baby.

I started the other baby because it was the only inquiry I had and with having 4 kids, every little bit helps. We live in a very small town, less than 200 people or so, so that makes it a little more difficult to find daycare children. I was content just being home with my kids, but things are tight and I need to contribute to our household income too.

Thanks for all of the advice, I appreciate it.
MarinaVanessa 06:57 AM 01-20-2011
I say that if you don't already you should charge a flat rate for the week regardless of how many days/hours they go then offer her the option of either paying the full-time rate or finding another DC and leaving it up to her. Personally I wouldn't feel akward explaining to her that I had an offer for full-time care and then see what she wanted to do.

When it comes down to it, it's a business and the reason for having a business is to make money. If you have an opportunity to make more money then it makes sense to go with that option. Don't short-change yourself because you feel bad for her, it's business not personal. You'll be offering her an option not just giving her the boot. Seems to me like she'll be changing her hours on you all of the time by the looks of it and this is only her first week. Think about it this way ... would you rather have a) an inconsistent client that changes their hours frequently with less pay or b) a client with solid hours annd higher pay which means financial security?

KUP whatever you choose. Good luck!
SandeeAR 07:04 AM 01-20-2011
Maybe I missed something, but is there a reason you can't keep both? I'm unlicensed and allowed 3 babies under 2. At the beginning with all three babies, they were 2 months, 6 months, and 9 months. There were a few rough days, but most of the time it has gone pretty well. They are now 5 & 9 Mo and 1 year.
MNmamaOf4 07:21 AM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Maybe I missed something, but is there a reason you can't keep both? I'm unlicensed and allowed 3 babies under 2. At the beginning with all three babies, they were 2 months, 6 months, and 9 months. There were a few rough days, but most of the time it has gone pretty well. They are now 5 & 9 Mo and 1 year.
I'm licensed in Minnesota and I can only have 3 total infant and toddlers, of the 3, no more than 2 can be infants. And my kids count towards my totals. My almost 2 year old fills my toddler spot and my infant fills one of my infant spots, so I have a part-time infant right now who fills my other spot.
SandeeAR 07:50 AM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by MNmamaOf4:
I'm licensed in Minnesota and I can only have 3 total infant and toddlers, of the 3, no more than 2 can be infants. And my kids count towards my totals. My almost 2 year old fills my toddler spot and my infant fills one of my infant spots, so I have a part-time infant right now who fills my other spot.
Ahh, missed that part, sorry. Well, I would give them the option of paying the full time spot, or knowing at some point they will be replaced. If they don't understand, put it in a way they can understand. If your boss offered you $1000 a week for your job or $250, and you could only take the one job,.....which pay rate would you take?
MNmamaOf4 01:22 PM 01-20-2011
So I told my current DCM today at pick up that I had a potential mom call wanting a full-time infant position. And she was taken back by it, she said "What does that mean? Can you still take DS?" I said I couldn't if I took on a full-time baby since she is only part-time. I also gave her a new contract and I took everyone's advice and went with a daily rate instead of an hourly like I had originally did. I gave the mom my new contract and we'll see where it goes from there.
MNmamaOf4 01:23 PM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Ahh, missed that part, sorry. Well, I would give them the option of paying the full time spot, or knowing at some point they will be replaced. If they don't understand, put it in a way they can understand. If your boss offered you $1000 a week for your job or $250, and you could only take the one job,.....which pay rate would you take?
No problem! I told the current mom about the potential full-time baby and I gave her a new contract and told her I need to do what's best for my family.
Tags:infant, new daycare, termination
Reply Up