Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cookies for Breakfast
SSWonders 04:30 AM 11-08-2013
A 3 year old walks in the door at 7:20 am with a bag of creme filled cookies and thinks I'm going to let him eat them for breakfast. "But my mama gave them to me." I don't think so.
lovemykidstoo 04:49 AM 11-08-2013
I don't let kids bring food from home unless it's for a party and they bring enough for everyone. That solves the problem right there. Unless parents take the time to make something like eggs or oatmeal or a healthy cereal, breakfast is a hard one for famiilies that are on the go. If you think about it, breakfast foods stink. You have poptarts that are really just cookies, toaster strudels (same), kids cereal (same). My own kids were hooked on poptarts for awhile. Now they're more of an egg, peanut butter toast, whole wheat bagel type of kids. Do you have a no food from home rule? Is it the fact that it was cookies or that they brought food from home? I have kids that get up an hour and a half before coming to my house and have eaten nothing. That really gets under my skin. then they come to my house crabby and the parent can't figure it out. I say, have they eaten? No. Oh, that's why they're crabby, come on in honey I'll give you breakfast and give the parent the stupid stare haha
daycarediva 05:48 AM 11-08-2013
When I worked full time, I did the (real) oatmeal to go cups, banana and yogurt for breakfast almost everyday, cliff bars, that sort of thing.
caregiver 08:40 AM 11-09-2013
This is a little off subject, but sorta is in the same category,
I have a 2 yr old dcg whose parents do not want her to have cookies or chocolate at all. My other dck's are allowed a cookie from here if they want, so if they ask for one, I will give them just one. Well my 2 yr old dcg also wants one and I tell her, NO, Mommy & Daddy don't want you to have any, so I will give her a piece of fruit or something like that instead so she at least has something to eat like the others.
Well the other day when Mom came for pick up, the 2 yr old asked me for a cookie, and I said no ,Mommy & Daddy don't want you to have one and then I told her Mom she had asked for one earlier that day and I did not give her one because of what they have said about it. Mom was ok with that, but then she said to my dcg, when we get home you can have a chocolate graham cracker cookie. What! is what I was thinking! Now you tell me that I can not give your child cookies here, but then she gets one at home... and chocolate too! Does not make sense to me!
Angelsj 09:25 AM 11-09-2013
So you get to be the bad guy, and they get to be the fun parent...um no.
I would tell them that isn't going to work. If she is not allergic and they are giving her sweets, she should not have to go without if you allow the other kids one.
Personally, I would feed everyone without the cookies, because I know how they eat at home, but that is just me.

OP, I had two show up the other day with baggies of chocolate cereal and mini marshmallows.
Sigh..they hit the trash can. These kids LOVE cheese sticks, and ate them easily as well as an orange. How hard would that be?
Reply Up