Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nut Allergy Question
childcaremom 04:58 AM 02-18-2014
I have a dcg (14 mos) who has been in my care for 4 months. Dcm told me this morning that she is getting tested for a peanut allergy soon as she had a reaction to peanuts a while ago. She didn't tell me about her having had a reaction previously . She also mentioned that she would be getting an epi pen for her if her results come back as being allergic.

I am a nut friendly house. My kids eat peanut butter at breakfast (during which time this dcg is here) but I don't serve it to dcks. I eat a lot of different nuts and use nut flours.

How safe is this for dcg? Imho, I don't think it's safe at all. I can't guarantee a safe, nut free environment for this child. I can't guarantee that the other dcks will come in without traces of peanut butter, etc and I'm not prepared to put that limit on the dcfs either. I certainly don't want the liability that comes with this type of allergy, either.

So, wwyd? Would you explain to mom that I can't guarantee a safe environment, epi pen or not?
LadyPearl 06:07 AM 02-18-2014
I have already had this discussion with dh. I would NOT accept a child with a nut allergy because I wouldn't be able to ensure their safety. Honestly, I would term for safety reasons if this child does in fact test positive for an allergy. I would not want to risk it.
llpa 06:12 AM 02-18-2014
I have one in my dc who has a peanut allergy. I went nut free. I have the epi pen but don't EVER want to use it My dc is not in my home so that makes it easier for me. But I love peanut butter and now avoid handling it for breakfast etc at home if I know he will be at dc that day. It freaks me out completely! If I was in home it would be much harder to protect that child from exposure. I do still have the worry that others will have traces of peanut butter on hands etc when they come in, so every child washes hands before they even start their day. If your children eat it for breakfast can they be at a separate table/area? That may work. If they eat at the counter for example, then it gets disinfected.
If dcg never sits there they shld be fine. But you will need to wash your hands well, too. AND a child w a severe peanut allergy sometimes will have issues if he/she even smells it. My dcb is not that severe. Good luck w this!
Tdhmom 06:39 AM 02-18-2014
My son is severely allergic if he ingests it. We've never been to Texas Roadhouse or anything to test that theory but family members have had a pb sandwich right before we've seen them, given him a kiss on the cheek and he got hives where she kissed him (I didn't know she had just had pb).
Our school went nut free, my home is nut free. It's a lifestyle change. If you don't feel comfortable then I would let mom know. Kindly let mom know. Don't hand over a term letter and not explain yourself. She'll be left feeling hopeless. It's scary to have to worry. I still get sick to my stomach if the school calls me. So if you don't feel that you can provide the safe environment that dcf needs then you should let dcm know that.
My sons last daycare provider (when he was 2 1/2, he's now almost 8) thought she could provide a safe envrionment, and she did for a long time and then one day her daughter got home from school and gave him a little bit of a pb cookie, I had to give him his epi pen in the car on the way to ER. He's never been back to a daycare since then. I've been home with him until he started school. So please if you don't feel like you can provide what she needs then you need to tell her.
Leanna 06:44 AM 02-18-2014
I have a child with a peanut allergy and when he was "diagnosed" we took the following precautions:

We do not serve peanut butter, peanut products, or products manufactured in a facility that also produces/processes peanuts/peanut products.

We do not allow any outside food or drinks. (Daily rule, but also no outside treats for parties, etc.)

DCK have their own color coded plates, bowls, cups, and silverware. This is to prevent any potential cross-contamination. (We also have separate serving dishes, etc.)

My own kids (teenagers) sometimes do eat PB but they must use a disposable knife to use it and the knife goes immediately into the trash. They must disinfect the area used when handing the PB and must eat it in the kitchen where DCKs are not allowed. They must immediately wash their hands and brush their teeth. The jar of PB is stored in a ziploc bag in a cupboard away from all other foods.

We use a separate, labeled jelly jar for daycare so no peanutbuttery knives contaminate it.

I don't eat anything containing nuts during the daycare week.

DCB does have an EpiPen (that I never want to use!) but isn't so severe that smelling peanuts causes a reaction. He could still go into anaphylaxis, however, and that is VERY scary and serious. If you don't feel like you can keep DCG safe you probably should term. I think your DCG's mom will appreciate that your priority is to keep her daughter safe! Good luck!
childcaremom 07:51 AM 02-18-2014
I def. won't continue watching her if she is allergic. But I am also really nervous about continuing care right now. She doesn't have an epi yet.... and I don't think EMS would get here quickly enough if she ended up in contact with it.... Yikes! She had hives and a swollen ear so I don't know how severe that is but it is scary to me.

Going to have to chat with mom tonight.

Thanks!
SunnyDay 08:05 AM 02-18-2014
If she has been in your home for awhile with no problem, I guess I wouldn't panic. My son has been diagnosed with a peanut allergy through allergy testing, but he has never eaten peanuts and has never had a reaction that I know of. He eats next to others who are eating peanut butter with no problem. I can see being more worried with someone elses child, though, that is a big responsibility. I would definitely talk it over with the parents and see what their comfort level is, but I wouldn't necessarily stop caring for the child.
KDC 08:06 AM 02-18-2014
My son is barely a 1 on the 'scale' (1-5) for peanut allergy. He is NOT allergic to any tree nuts, only peanuts. He has Honey Nut Cheerio's for breakfast every morning and is totally fine. He's had 1 reaction (which is how we found out about the peanut allergy in the first place, hives). We had a blood test done. We do have an epi pen and I haven't had to use it. My older DS LOVES peanut butter, he eats it all the time. He know's to clear his plate, grabs a clorox wipe and wipes down the surface he's just eaten on, then washes his hands and face. He gets that it will make his little brother sick, so he's super careful.

I do NOT serve it for daycare, it's a little more risky, as little ones mouth things and it's not safe.

I do not worry about things that were made on the same equipment (after research shows they do clean their equipment between peanut/vs non-peanut products and after 3 years of no further reaction I am fairly comfortable with where he's at. If it doesn't CONTAIN peanuts, I feel it's safe for him.

I guess it depends on the severity on what I'd be comfortable with. I have a nephew who has an anaphylactic allergy to dairy. This would make me uncomfortable (and I freak out when I host holiday's!) I do not feel I could keep him safe. He's been hospitalized many times and has had to have the epi pen used multiple times... eek! So it's all in what makes YOU comfortable.
nanglgrl 08:18 AM 02-18-2014
When I first started out one of my dck had a peanut allergy. I labeled the inside of every cupboard "peanut allergy!" and had a sign in the kitchen and never served peanut items to the kids. Then one day a child came in eating a baggie of dry cereal (I don't allow that now) and he took some and ate it. He said he didn't feel well and it all clicked for me, it was peanut butter cereal. I had been so cautious but still had to use that darn epipen. Thankfully his parents understood and he was fine. I haven't taken on another peanut allergy since because I thought I was being careful with the signs and not having and peanut items in our home but apparently I wasn't careful enough.
childcaremom 08:24 AM 02-18-2014
Originally Posted by SunnyDay:
If she has been in your home for awhile with no problem, I guess I wouldn't panic. My son has been diagnosed with a peanut allergy through allergy testing, but he has never eaten peanuts and has never had a reaction that I know of. He eats next to others who are eating peanut butter with no problem. I can see being more worried with someone elses child, though, that is a big responsibility. I would definitely talk it over with the parents and see what their comfort level is, but I wouldn't necessarily stop caring for the child.
Yes, I will be talking to mom tonight. She seemed pretty casual about it so maybe I am overreacting.
childcaremom 08:29 AM 02-18-2014
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
When I first started out one of my dck had a peanut allergy. I labeled the inside of every cupboard "peanut allergy!" and had a sign in the kitchen and never served peanut items to the kids. Then one day a child came in eating a baggie of dry cereal (I don't allow that now) and he took some and ate it. He said he didn't feel well and it all clicked for me, it was peanut butter cereal. I had been so cautious but still had to use that darn epipen. Thankfully his parents understood and he was fine. I haven't taken on another peanut allergy since because I thought I was being careful with the signs and not having and peanut items in our home but apparently I wasn't careful enough.
And this is my big fear. I can be careful but it just takes one little thing, kwim? My kids love peanut butter and all of our schools are nut free so home is the one place they are allowed to eat it. I'm already careful b/c most of my dcks are under 2 and haven't had peanuts yet but it still makes me nervous about cross contamination.

I've lined up another provider who can provide a safe environment so I will chat with mom and see what she thinks.
Starburst 12:14 PM 02-18-2014
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I have a dcg (14 mos) who has been in my care for 4 months. Dcm told me this morning that she is getting tested for a peanut allergy soon as she had a reaction to peanuts a while ago. She didn't tell me about her having had a reaction previously . She also mentioned that she would be getting an epi pen for her if her results come back as being allergic.

I am a nut friendly house. My kids eat peanut butter at breakfast (during which time this dcg is here) but I don't serve it to dcks. I eat a lot of different nuts and use nut flours.

How safe is this for dcg? Imho, I don't think it's safe at all. I can't guarantee a safe, nut free environment for this child. I can't guarantee that the other dcks will come in without traces of peanut butter, etc and I'm not prepared to put that limit on the dcfs either. I certainly don't want the liability that comes with this type of allergy, either.
The severity of allergies and intolerances varies from person to person. My brother is completely allergic to milk, he gets sick if he even has a cheese burger, he needed special formula as a baby (couldn't nurse either). I, on the other hand, have a slight intolerance for milk and I can drink a few glasses of milk without any problem as long as I have something to eat with it; we both also have asthma- which many people with asthma are prone to food allergies and intolerances.

The little boy (3) I babysit is allergic to milk and nuts, his mom is trying to help lessen his milk allergy by having him a little bit of milk regularly (with a doctor's guidance) but she is more cautious with his nut allergy because he gets a reaction if someone has eaten nuts and touches/gets near him (they found out about it when they went out with their family and everyone was eating an appetizer with a peanut glaze and everyone holding and kissing him after). I also heard of an incident where they visited his old babysitter who was with her friend; and apparently the friend thought it would be a good idea to give him (a 2 year old child {at the time} she had just met) a snickers bar without asking the parents and he had a reaction to go to the ER. I was with them at a drs appointment the mom wanted to get an epipen but the dr said that because of his size {small}, he would be better of with just Benadryl for now. But the mom told me from the beginning to make sure when I watch him to avoid eating peanuts before watching him and said that if people eat peanuts before being around him they need to take a shower, brush their teeth and change their clothes completely to make sure he doesn't have a reaction. I have known someone who said they started feeling sick when someone near them was eating corn nuts, not even touching them just the smell alone.

I would be careful about what you tell the mom because it could be seen as discriminating for a special need, which can cause a whole ADA debate- I would check with licensing (if you are licensed/registered).
melilley 12:28 PM 02-18-2014
I always tell parents at interview that I am not a peanut free household/dc. I am not comfortable with nut allergies at all.
Blackcat31 12:28 PM 02-18-2014
Originally Posted by Starburst:

I would be careful about what you tell the mom because it could be seen as discriminating for a special need, which can cause a whole ADA debate- I would check with licensing (if you are licensed/registered).
OP is in Canada, ADA would not apply to her.

Also, if I remember correctly (and unless the law has recently changed) peanut allergies, no matter how severe are not counted as a disability and are not covered under the ADA.

For Canadian providers, there are several government plans that could apply but the broadest one is the Accessibility for Ontarians Disability Act. (AODA)

See the Ontario government site for more information: http://www.aoda.ca/

It does not, as far as I know cover any food allergies.
childcaremom 12:57 PM 02-18-2014
I am legally unlicensed. I don't take any children on with serious allergies so this is really nerve-wracking for me.

I just talked to mom and told her my concerns and that I would accept her back into care when she knows with 100% certainty that she isn't allergic.

Mom figures it is a topographical thing but I reiterated that I cannot provide a safe environment and that it puts her at huge risk (and me!). She was understanding of that.

She is going home to talk to dad and let me know what they decide.
Starburst 12:59 PM 02-18-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Also, if I remember correctly (and unless the law has recently changed) peanut allergies, no matter how severe are not counted as a disability and are not covered under the ADA.

For Canadian providers, there are several government plans that could apply but the broadest one is the Accessibility for Ontarians Disability Act. (AODA)

I wasn't sure if it would be considered 'special needs' because some other health issues that require food monitoring and emergency medication administrating such as diabetes or asthma can be considered special needs. And in some areas discriminating base on a medical condition could be illegal. That's why I suggested they consult their local licensing agency.
Liliyachka 04:52 PM 02-18-2014
Where I used to work there were 2 children with severe peanut allergies so we did not serve peanut products when they were in our care and used separate knives.
Evansmom 05:11 PM 02-18-2014

Not sure about Canada but I thought food allergies were covered by ADA here in US
http://www.foodallergy.org/advocacy/disability

All kids with food allergies in TX qualify for an IEP and 504 as far as I know. But maybe it's by state? I'm not sure.
Sunchimes 05:20 PM 02-18-2014
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
Not sure about Canada but I thought food allergies were covered by ADA here in US

All kids with food allergies in TX qualify for an IEP and 504 as far as I know. But maybe it's by state? I'm not sure.
I didn't know that Evansmom. I don't currently have any dck with allergies, but I'm filing this bit of info for next time. Thanks.
spud912 06:50 PM 02-18-2014

I quickly browsed through your link and saw this:
"student with a disability . . . to use, and fully participate in, a free and appropriate public education (FAPE)." Public education is defined as a school or schools that receive public funding and they are required to make reasonable accommodations.

I don't think child care necessarily qualifies as a public "education." I think if you can prove that you cannot make reasonable accommodations, then there should be no problem.

I personally would not take on the risk of a child with a major allergy that would be too difficult to accommodate (like a food or outdoor allergy).
Evansmom 07:15 PM 02-18-2014
Originally Posted by spud912:
I quickly browsed through your link and saw this:
"student with a disability . . . to use, and fully participate in, a free and appropriate public education (FAPE)." Public education is defined as a school or schools that receive public funding and they are required to make reasonable accommodations.

I don't think child care necessarily qualifies as a public "education." I think if you can prove that you cannot make reasonable accommodations, then there should be no problem.

I personally would not take on the risk of a child with a major allergy that would be too difficult to accommodate (like a food or outdoor allergy).
True. I was just adding my understanding of the ADA's position in response to BC's comment. You are right that this doesn't not apply to a private school nor to a home daycare.

I do provide care to children with food allergies and it's very easy, I've never had a problem in fact I have advertised as food allergy friendly. Then again my family has food allergies so I'm quite familiar with how to prevent cross contamination, how to use an epi-pen, signs of anaphylaxis etc.
I personally do not think it's a reason to exclude.

If the OP's DCK is just getting diagnosed sometimes the process can take a while so it may be a few weeks before they have an epi and it will be several more weeks I'm sure for the family to adjust to living with a food allergy and learning all it's implications. It's quite a process when you're first dealing with food allergies. I know it took a while for me to gather all the info and implement it into our lives.
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 02-19-2014
True. I was just adding my understanding of the ADA's position in response to BC's comment. You are right that this doesn't not apply to a private school nor to a home daycare.
I do provide care to children with food allergies and it's very easy, I've never had a problem in fact I have advertised as food allergy friendly. Then again my family has food allergies so I'm quite familiar with how to prevent cross contamination, how to use an epi-pen, signs of anaphylaxis etc.
I personally do not think it's a reason to exclude.

If the OP's DCK is just getting diagnosed sometimes the process can take a while so it may be a few weeks before they have an epi and it will be several more weeks I'm sure for the family to adjust to living with a food allergy and learning all it's implications. It's quite a process when you're first dealing with food allergies. I know it took a while for me to gather all the info and implement it into our lives.
I think You may be completely right and the laws may have changed since I last learned about this...

The info I am finding now says that

Americans with Disabilities Act

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) extends the protections provided by 504 to private schools and private child care centers.

Children with food allergies have received protection under ADA. For example, in a public settlement agreement under the ADA, a private child care facility was ordered to enroll children with food allergies, and to take appropriate steps to assure that the facility was prepared to recognize an allergic reaction, and respond appropriately.

I am also reading though that the allergy MUST be one that severely limits the persons ability to basically live in order for the allergy to be considered a disability.
If the allergy is a disability then it would fall under 504 and ADA protection.

A class I took not too long ago talked about categorizing food issues into groups such as sensitivities, intolerances and allergies.
Allergies being those that compromise a person's ability to live.

So I am assuming the reason they are now wanting to classify things, is because not all intolerances and sensitivities to foods would require protection under the ADA
Evansmom 10:38 AM 02-19-2014
I think You may be completely right and the laws may have changed since I last learned about this...

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) extends the protections provided by 504 to private schools and private child care centers.

Children with food allergies have received protection under ADA. For example, in a public settlement agreement under the ADA, a private child care facility was ordered to enroll children with food allergies, and to take appropriate steps to assure that the facility was prepared to recognize an allergic reaction, and respond appropriately.

I am also reading though that the allergy MUST be one that severely limits the persons ability to basically live in order for the allergy to be considered a disability.

A class I took not too long ago talked about categorizing food issues into groups such as sensitivities, intolerances and allergies.

So I am assuming the reason they are now wanting to classify things, is because not all intolerances and sensitivities to foods would require protection under the ADA
Oh good find BC! Thank you for that clarification. So there then needs to be an actual doctor diagnosis of anaphylaxis or other food reaction for the ADA to apply not just a food sensitivity or a "I don't want my child to eat that" parent's preference.

And it does apply to private schools and private daycares.

This is really good information, thanks!
spud912 01:50 PM 02-19-2014

Wow good to know! Also thanks to Evansmom for pointing it out originally.

So my question is: how do I reasonably show (in the future) that I can't make accommodations? I just know me personally we use way too much peanut butter and I would hate to eliminate it at my house where my own children love it so much (they are of the age where they are still at home). If it weren't for daycare hours, my children would really not get any at all. Obviously I would be willing to make that sacrifice if one of my children became allergic but I would prefer not to for another family. Gosh I hope that doesn't come across as crass or rude .
CraftyMom 02:18 PM 02-19-2014
Originally Posted by spud912:
Wow good to know! Also thanks to Evansmom for pointing it out originally.

So my question is: how do I reasonably show (in the future) that I can't make accommodations? I just know me personally we use way too much peanut butter and I would hate to eliminate it at my house where my own children love it so much (they are of the age where they are still at home). If it weren't for daycare hours, my children would really not get any at all. Obviously I would be willing to make that sacrifice if one of my children became allergic but I would prefer not to for another family. Gosh I hope that doesn't come across as crass or rude .
I would feel the same way, My kids love peanut butter, peanuts, trail mix, mixed nuts...I would have to eliminate that from my house to be safe. Not sure I could take that away from my family for someone else, since I would want to eliminate it completely to avoid any risk.

I would think the parents would want to go with a completely peanut free daycare for their child's safety and if you can't promise that they would understand so their child isn't at risk.

I'd suggest having liquid Benadryl on hand if you don't already. Just in case. For any child, not just this one. Allergies can appear any time, even if there wasn't one before.
CraftyMom 02:21 PM 02-19-2014

So what exactly does this mean? That you HAVE to take a child with a nut allergy and make your home nut free even if you aren't comfortable with it?
Evansmom 03:02 PM 02-19-2014
Ok, this is what I have to say re: accommodating kids with nut/peanut allergies and this is coming from me who is a mom to a peanut allergic child and has been a child care provider and teacher for 20 years.

First off, it really depends on the comfort level of the parents of the allergy child that you're working with. Some allergy parents are perfectly fine with peanuts and peanut products (trail mix, baked foods, fruit dips etc.) being around their child as long as their child doesn't put them in their mouth. Some parents are not ok with this and in this case probably wouldn't seek out a daycare that uses peanut products. There isn't a right or wrong way to raise an allergy child and some parents are very relaxed, some not so much (me). So if you are interviewing a family who's child is allergic I'd ask tons of questions about how they handle the allergy. That will give you an idea of how strict they are with their child's allergy and give you a good idea of whether you feel comfortable accommodating the child. I don't think you can just exclude on that basis alone. Apparently as BC has shown that would be against the ADA and the parents could sue you for discrimination if they wanted to.

Second, it's quite simple to offer alternatives to peanut butter or peanut products. One substitute is Sunbutter which is made from roasted sunflower seeds and is very very like peanut butter and is readily available in super markets now. It's also made in a nut-free facility so it's safe for everyone. It's what we used at my daycare and no kids noticed the difference. Or if the allergy parents you work with are not strict about their child's allergy then you could have them supply a jar of Sunbutter for when you make PBJs for kids and give the allergy kid the Sunbutter sandwich. For snacks and baked goods there are tons of alternatives that are safe for peanut allergies ranging from packaged fruit snacks, yogurts, crackers etc. to any home baked goods you can make that don't contain peanuts or peanut butter and that were prepared on a clean surface and dish.

Third, for many allergy friendly daycares, color coding the eating and drinking utensils makes serving allergy kids easy and lessens the risk of cross contamination. So if Billy has only blue plates and cups and Sally has only red etc. they can safely eat/drink only from their set without having to read. Although if you have readers labeling is another way to do this.

Fourth, good hand washing is the last step in making sure allergy kids are safe and you should already have that in place in your program for hygienic purposes anyway. Washing hands after eating is important in not spreading peanut oils around.

Personally this is what has worked for us for years. I have had zero incidences of cross contamination and zero instances of kids eating another's food and zero instances of needing to administer meds or an epi. Is it scary? You bet your booty it is. Especially for the parents of the allergic child. There is an adjustment period when dealing with allergies. But you do adjust I promise. And it's quite second nature after that.
Blackcat31 03:20 PM 02-19-2014
Besides what Evansmom said above, from what I gather the easiest way to NOT have to accommodate a child with allergies is to advertise that you are NOT peanut free. Include menus samples etc showing you included nuts and peanuts in your program.

This will serve as proof that a family with known allergies should not have chosen you as a provider as it goes against what they "need" as far as services go.

Also the ADA only requires "reasonable" accommodations. There is NO law saying you have to revamp your entire program, home or menus to accommodate a child who has allergies.

Now if the child is already enrolled and then develops allergies, I have no idea but just from what I've read, that is the info I have gotten.

HTH
CraftyMom 04:05 PM 02-19-2014
This is all great info! I have never had a child with a nut allergy. Good to know!
Reply Up