Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gifts For Kids Going To Preschool?
Unregistered 11:12 AM 08-24-2017
Do you give gifts to your kids who are leaving your program for preschool? If you do what types of things do you give or do for your daycare child's last day?

The child that is leaving is 4 and I've had them in my program since they were 6 months old.
Blackcat31 11:31 AM 08-24-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Do you give gifts to your kids who are leaving your program for preschool? If you do what types of things do you give or do for your daycare child's last day?

The child that is leaving is 4 and I've had them in my program since they were 6 months old.
Kids I've had since infancy that age out of my program are given a backpack with all their school supplies in it and a Dr Suess book.
finsup 11:35 AM 08-24-2017
I've got one leaving that I've had since he was 2 months old. I printed off all the photos I have of him here from the start and tomorrow we'll work as a group to cut them smaller and make a scrap book for him. Then a special treat snack in the afternoon. I almost went with a photo book but this way really gets everyone involved and it will be fun for them to look back at the last 4 years. And fun for the younger ones to see what we did before they were even born lol.
rosieteddy 11:36 AM 08-24-2017
When I had kids leave after that long they got a daycare book with pictures through the years.I also crochet each a blanket with colors they picked.I would start crocheting while they had free play each day.We called it a warm hug from Nana(that's what they called me).In the later years the book was easy to download the pictures to walgreens and print it out.They really seemed to like it.
Cat Herder 11:53 AM 08-24-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Kids I've had since infancy that age out of my program are given a backpack with all their school supplies in it and a Dr Suess book.
Same here for about 10 years, now. I also do the little cap and gown thing because I like to.
e.j. 12:05 PM 08-24-2017
Originally Posted by finsup:
I've got one leaving that I've had since he was 2 months old. I printed off all the photos I have of him here from the start and tomorrow we'll work as a group to cut them smaller and make a scrap book for him. Then a special treat snack in the afternoon. I almost went with a photo book but this way really gets everyone involved and it will be fun for them to look back at the last 4 years. And fun for the younger ones to see what we did before they were even born lol.
I take pictures of the kids throughout their time here. When they leave for good, I download their pictures to Shutterfly and make a photo album for them. I put the album in a tote bag along with a copy of the book, "The Night Before Preschool". I also include crayons or markers and a drawing pad. If there's something special from the day care they've formed an attachment to, I will sometimes put that in their bag, too, if it won't be missed by anyone else.

I love the idea of making a scrap book with the kids! I used to hand make photo albums for my kids but Shutterfly makes it so easy to do. The scrap book feels much more personal, though, and the kids love looking at pictures and talking about their memories. I may have to give some thought to using that idea if you don't mind.
LK5kids 04:40 PM 08-24-2017
Photo album!
finsup 05:57 PM 08-24-2017
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I take pictures of the kids throughout their time here. When they leave for good, I download their pictures to Shutterfly and make a photo album for them. I put the album in a tote bag along with a copy of the book, "The Night Before Preschool". I also include crayons or markers and a drawing pad. If there's something special from the day care they've formed an attachment to, I will sometimes put that in their bag, too, if it won't be missed by anyone else.

I love the idea of making a scrap book with the kids! I used to hand make photo albums for my kids but Shutterfly makes it so easy to do. The scrap book feels much more personal, though, and the kids love looking at pictures and talking about their memories. I may have to give some thought to using that idea if you don't mind.
Sure! I'd like to say it's because of my thoughtfulness that we do it like this...but...it's not it's my hated of technology and photo books have taken me forever. So many upload attempts, so much crashes before work was saved (never tried Shutterfly though, just CVS, Walgreens etc) I have the worst luck with it so I do this instead. It is fun though! I like your bag and book idea too though, if I had more time I would add that as well!
bklsmum 06:52 PM 08-24-2017
I just went easy this year and bought them all scented backpack clips from Scentsy. They LOVED them.
flying_babyb 07:19 PM 08-24-2017
BONGO!! we have a travling class monkey(the beanie baby version) so on their last day they get to take home bongos brother or sister to keep. I have about 40 bongos in a box in my storage unit lol
midaycare 05:46 AM 08-25-2017
A swift kick in the rear? Kidding...well, maybe not for one this year. I'm throwing a party on his last day. My hubby and ds even have a countdown going. 3 weeks

I have no clue. I'm too lazy to scrapbook a zillion pics. I want easy. I have so much other work to do. Probably a book.
midaycare 05:47 AM 08-25-2017
I do like the backpack idea...but my kids have had their backpacks for a solid month now. They take joy in picking those out with their parents.
Cat Herder 06:54 AM 08-25-2017
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I'm too lazy to scrapbook a zillion pics. I want easy. I have so much other work to do.

I do like the backpack idea...but my kids have had their backpacks for a solid month now. They take joy in picking those out with their parents.
That is why I do the art backpacks. They have them at Sam's Club a few times a year cheap, so I grab 6-12 at a time. I re-stock every 5 years, or so. Toss in some pencils, erasers, glue sticks and a couple composition books and you are done.
Attached: art backpack.jpg (60.8 KB) 
daycare 07:02 AM 08-25-2017
party, cap-gown and a photo book
midaycare 07:17 AM 08-25-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
That is why I do the art backpacks. They have them at Sam's Club a few times a year cheap, so I grab 6-12 at a time. I re-stock every 5 years, or so. Toss in some pencils, erasers, glue sticks and a couple composition books and you are done.
Oh wow, cool!
Cat Herder 07:45 AM 08-25-2017
Walmart has these for $20 right now. I grabbed 6 for Christmas gifts next year.
Attached: 829db371-a135-45ee-a357-75a006c14ee7_1.52e2b3aac0f386a8941e029b20cbb2a9.jpeg (37.5 KB) 
Baby Beluga 08:40 AM 08-25-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Walmart has these for $20 right now. I grabbed 6 for Christmas gifts next year.
Are they online?

May I please have the link if so?
Blackcat31 09:31 AM 08-25-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Are they online?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Crayola-C...-More/45825256
Blackcat31 09:32 AM 08-25-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Are they online?

The Art Buddy Back Packs are online too

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Crayola-A...-Pack/23081077
Cat Herder 09:34 AM 08-25-2017
The backpacks go down to $10 at Sam's periodically, though.

Just saw the link. They are down right now from $30 this morning.
e.j. 12:06 PM 08-25-2017
Sure! I'd like to say it's because of my thoughtfulness that we do it like this...but...it's not
Well, it's thoughtful just the same.

it's my hated of technology and photo books have taken me forever. So many upload attempts, so much crashes before work was saved (never tried Shutterfly though, just CVS, Walgreens etc) I have the worst luck with it so I do this instead. It is fun though!
I'm technology challenged, too and it is time consuming because I do a lot of editing and use the custom design feature but if "I" can make a photo album using Shutterfly...anyone can! When I'm crunched for time because a parent gives a 2 week notice at the latest date possible, I just use their Simple Path method and with a few adjustments, it's quick and easy and still looks great. They send me a lot of 50% off deals, too, so it's not all that expensive. I think it cost me more in ink and paper when I was printing out my own photos to make an album.

I like your bag and book idea too though, if I had more time I would add that as well!
Thanks! I buy a 3-pack of canvas tote bags at Walmart so those are inexpensive. I usually decorate the bags using
fabric markers to trace the hand prints of all of the kids who are here at the time. I think it looks pretty cute when it's done.
Baby Beluga 12:34 PM 08-25-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The Art Buddy Back Packs are online too

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Crayola-A...-Pack/23081077
Thank you! These both are super cute.
flying_babyb 07:16 PM 08-25-2017
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I buy a 3-pack of canvas tote bags at Walmart so those are inexpensive. I usually decorate the bags using
fabric markers to trace the hand prints of all of the kids who are here at the time. I think it looks pretty cute when it's done.
We did regular acrylic paint with fabric medium mixed in. machine safe and easy to stamp hands! I had a bag with my littles hands on it for years (I taught preschool). When it finally broke I cried.
Tags:gifts, preschool, preschool graduation gifts
Reply Up