Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Exactly is Preschool?
athomemommy 12:39 PM 07-12-2012
I have also thought of it as the time before a child goes to kindergarten, like the whole time. I want to advertise for preschool learning but all ages. What do you do. Its not like sit down and learn preschool its get up and explore from the moment they can. Trying to work my way away from a babysitter to an educator,
Buxterboo 12:45 PM 07-12-2012
I always think of the phrase: "child development center" when i think of what you are describing, not really "daycare". Im sure there might not really be a difference, but for somereason in my head there is... lol

ETA: I guess that wasnt very helpful, Im sorry...
Unregistered 12:59 PM 07-12-2012
Preschool here is 2-3 hours/d 2-3/w and purely to build social skills. There is free arts table, games, puzzles, basic circle with songs, books, daily chatter, snack break, outside play, monthly community trips, seasonal activities, very basic science experiments, basic cooking (adding ingredients and mixing) rotating nature table, sand table, and mixed media table, monthly themed area, "house" area, large muscle movement area...all closely supervised (but not helicoptered) by amazing, caring, lovely staff.
The program only takes 80 kids over 4 sessions total (20/class) and is extremely sought after to the point that people line up at 4am on reg day. It would be successful as a chain as they have a proven 35+ year track record. Most of the clientele are stay at home parents who do not think that despite the "school" name it is really a school.
It is not a sit down and trace your ABC kind of "preschool" at all.
nothingwithoutjoy 07:28 PM 07-12-2012
Originally Posted by athomemommy:
I have also thought of it as the time before a child goes to kindergarten, like the whole time. I want to advertise for preschool learning but all ages. What do you do. Its not like sit down and learn preschool its get up and explore from the moment they can. Trying to work my way away from a babysitter to an educator,
There's no official definitions; different areas have different expectations of what each word means (preschool, nursery school, child care, day care...), and even in one area, there's little consensus. I think you should call it whatever you want, and just think it through very thoroughly so you're prepared to back up why you call it what you do. I never use the word "day care." To me, it puts the emphasis on filling the day while the parent is busy. I'll say "family child care" because people know what it is, and because at least it puts an emphasis on the child, but I don't love it. I don't use the term "preschool" often, because to me it says "we're preparing kids for the important stuff that comes later; this, now, is not the important stuff." I chose the wordy and cumbersome phrase "early childhood program," and spell out in my handbook exactly why I call it that.

You do not have to defend not sitting down to learn. Learning happens through exploring, as you said! :-)
Reply Up