Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Costs Are Too High...?? Feeling Unappreciated
Unregistered 05:13 PM 11-06-2013
I need help with coming up with a rebuttal to Daycare costs are too high. ( I understand that they are high , but when it comes to how much a home Caregiver actually makes for the amount o f work and love they give each day... UGH I guess I am just frustrated...)I think that if you find a passionate amazing caregiver with plenty experience and plenty of other happy long term DCF's you should appreciate him or her. I should give more background, but I am steaming mad, so I am going to wait and save that for another post. I need help pointing out how childcare givers are underpaid and under appreciated. Articles, Opinions, and any other useful info is appreciated. Thank you so much!
Sunchimes 05:17 PM 11-06-2013
Someone, I'm thinking Blackcat but apologize if I'm wrong, had a great post about what a provider had to do for that pay. I'll try the search and see if I can find it. I don't have much luck with search, so keep your fingers crossed that someone comes and posts a link.
Unregistered 05:20 PM 11-06-2013
I attempted the search engine... but I didn't have much luck. I hope you do, Thank you!
Lucy 05:30 PM 11-06-2013
I wouldn't explain or justify. I'd give a nice sympathy face and say, "I know. So here are my references (or something to get them off the subject) I'll be in touch after all my interviews have been completed". If they persist, I'd say, "yes, you're right. So is gas and (insert long list here)".

Bottom line is, we don't have to justify the cost. The industry has created its own prices, not you. It's not like a garage sale where you've had to set an arbitrary value on your possessions. We quote prices for DC that the industry has established as standard and customary. Dont take it personally or let them get you steamed up. They're griping at DAYCARE as a whole... not at YOU.
Unregistered 05:32 PM 11-06-2013
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-services-...AdIdZ539762631
Leigh 06:13 PM 11-06-2013
I tell parents that it's only a lot of money when you are PAYING it, when you're making it, it's not much at all. I let them know that I spend over $1000 a month on groceries (I COULD spend less, but I feed these kids fresh fruits and veggies, and try to feed as healthy as possible, so I make more expensive choices). Add in higher utility bills, insurance, training, supplies, toys, etc., and I don't make much at all. I know for a fact that I make less money than ANY of my daycare parents, and I don't hesitate to tell them that if anyone complains (and they rarely do). No one has a response for that.
Unregistered 06:25 PM 11-06-2013
I would love to find a poem, short essay, or article written from a providers point of view.
Laurel 06:38 PM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I need help with coming up with a rebuttal to Daycare costs are too high. ( I understand that they are high , but when it comes to how much a home Caregiver actually makes for the amount o f work and love they give each day... UGH I guess I am just frustrated...)I think that if you find a passionate amazing caregiver with plenty experience and plenty of other happy long term DCF's you should appreciate him or her. I should give more background, but I am steaming mad, so I am going to wait and save that for another post. I need help pointing out how childcare givers are underpaid and under appreciated. Articles, Opinions, and any other useful info is appreciated. Thank you so much!
I think it was someone here who had a good answer. Just say something like "I know, children are expensive aren't they? If people would research how much things for children cost ahead of time they might not have one or at least more than one."

Laurel
cheerfuldom 06:39 PM 11-06-2013
I agree with the parents. It's expensive to be a parent no matter what way you slice it. I work from home providing childcare and make just above minimum wage when enrollment is full and am more than happy to share that number with parents. Daycare is expensive and so is putting a career on hold in order to stay home with your kids. Either way, taking care of kids appropriately means that the parents are going to have to sacrifice. Normally, dirt cheap rates mean a very low quality of care with an inexperienced provider and a high ratio of kids. If that is something a parent is looking for, feel free to go find it. You aren't going to find it at my house.
Laurel 06:50 PM 11-06-2013
Print this page out and hand it to them telling them on average we make $9.28 per hour or $19,300 per year (in 2010). This is from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Personal-Care...re-workers.htm

What parents don't take into consideration is we aren't always running at 100% capacity.

Really I don't care what they think anymore. They either pay it or go elsewhere.

Laurel
Laurel 06:53 PM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I agree with the parents. It's expensive to be a parent no matter what way you slice it. I work from home providing childcare and make just above minimum wage when enrollment is full and am more than happy to share that number with parents. Daycare is expensive and so is putting a career on hold in order to stay home with your kids. Either way, taking care of kids appropriately means that the parents are going to have to sacrifice. Normally, dirt cheap rates mean a very low quality of care with an inexperienced provider and a high ratio of kids. If that is something a parent is looking for, feel free to go find it. You aren't going to find it at my house.

coolconfidentme 07:39 PM 11-06-2013
Tell them, "YES.., but your child is worth it, don't you agree?"

(& wait quietly for an answer)
daycare 07:41 PM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:
Print this page out and hand it to them telling them on average we make $9.28 per hour or $19,300 per year (in 2010). This is from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Personal-Care...re-workers.htm

What parents don't take into consideration is we aren't always running at 100% capacity.

Really I don't care what they think anymore. They either pay it or go elsewhere.

Laurel
$9.28 an hour?? is that before tax and expenses?????
Laurel 08:11 PM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
I don't know. You'd have to research it on that site I guess.

Laurel
Laurel 08:14 PM 11-06-2013
Oh and also that couldn't mean $9.28 per child. It has to mean $9.28 for 'all' the children as a group.

Laurel
GoodKarma 04:39 AM 11-07-2013
Here is a page that shows where our money goes

http://pwoodw6715.com/HomeAwayFromHome/priceless.html
momofboys 04:55 AM 11-07-2013
My total for daycare (& I never chose to be full) was never making more than $6/hr.
Great Beginnings 05:30 AM 11-07-2013
I didn't read the article but I would have to assume that means after taxes and deductions. I do my taxes so that I deduct everything so by time I'm done I look pretty darn poor lol but at least I get a refund
hope 05:40 AM 11-07-2013
Child care is not as expensive as it should be. Children are these people's most precious responsibility and they are putting that responsibility into the hands and trust of another. People have no problem paying big money for their pet, cars, homes and boats to be cared for but can not fathom the thought paying someone an adequate amount to care for their child. I keep my daycare prices a little higher than others by of the quality of care I give. If a parent is looking for cheap care they need to look elsewhere. You don't need to explain why your costs are "high". They should see the value themselves.it is THEIR children YOU are caring for.
christine19720 06:07 AM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by hope:
Child care is not as expensive as it should be. Children are these people's most precious responsibility and they are putting that responsibility into the hands and trust of another. People have no problem paying big money for their pet, cars, homes and boats to be cared for but can not fathom the thought paying someone an adequate amount to care for their child. I keep my daycare prices a little higher than others by of the quality of care I give. If a parent is looking for cheap care they need to look elsewhere. You don't need to explain why your costs are "high". They should see the value themselves.it is THEIR children YOU are caring for.
This!
It's all about priorities
Leigh 07:07 AM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by hope:
SO true. I spent the equivalent of 2 months of daycare fees on my dog without batting an eye. The problem is that the parents often don't realize the benefit of having someone they trust care for their child in their absence. The parents who complain about daycare expenses often are the ones who are living beyond their means.
Cat Herder 07:12 AM 11-07-2013
DCM: "Daycare is so expensive!!"
Me: "Yeah, having kids is expensive, lol. I have 3!!! Maybe I should get a job where you work for the raise, shorter hours and benefits, lol"
blessed mom 08:47 AM 11-07-2013
I had a parent tell me it was expensive...not looking down on me but lamenting her financial challenges. I just said..."Ya, that is why I ended up staying home with my two, living in a mobile home instead of buying my own home, no cell phone, old thrashed cars, hand me down clothes for my kids and only one pair of shoes"

I mean if it's too much stay home. You can find "cheap" care but is it a loving quality atmosphere for your kids? I also teach so the kids are ready for kindergarten when they leave here. How much is that worth to you? My kids are preteens now and being tutored. I pay a lot for that...it's worth it! Kids are expensive and this is just the beginning. Wait til they hit college. Making the provider feel bad instead of appreciated is not cool, but I wouldn't justify it. I'd agree!
JoseyJo 09:16 AM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Me: "Yeah, having kids is expensive, lol. I have 3!!! Maybe I should get a job where you work for the raise, shorter hours and benefits, lol"
This is great! Mentally storing it for the next time someone makes that comment
MarinaVanessa 09:28 AM 11-07-2013
Here's my conversation with whoever mentions that DC is expensive:

DCP: Daycare is so expensive!
ME: Lol Having children is expensive. You have to pay for daycare, health insurance and medical bills, dentist bills, food, clothing, toys, school supplies! And then they get older and there's college. When my husband and I decided we were ready to have kids we sat down and budgeted. That's when we figured out that we could afford three kids and that's only because I do daycare here at home and don't have to pay for daycare for our own three kids. I don't know how other families that have two or more kids do it. They must have big incomes!!!"

When I get to the part about how my husband and I went through the actual math of how much each child was going to cost us to see if we could afford kids they get real quiet and pensive. Usually after I say that we planned and budgeted then decided whether we could afford another child or not they don't say much about it anymore.

The cost of things is what it is. Daycare prices don't suddenly go up just because they decided to have a kid. Generally daycare prices don't take huge hikes in short periods of time, they rise gradually over time with inflation. If they would've asked about how much daycare prices cost just before getting pregnant they'd know what to expect once they were ready to go back to work and therefore would've been prepared KWIM.

Sheesh, I pay minimum $150 JUST for two boxes of diapers and one box of wipes (Costco) every 3 weeks for my baby and DS ... but that was a cost that was factored in when we decided to have the baby KWIM. I'm super glad that I don't have to pay daycare fees for three kids. Another perk of being a family child care provider.
Josiegirl 10:23 AM 11-07-2013
It's all about priorities. I wanted children instead of big fancy cars, long exotic vacations, 3 closets filled with clothes, all the latest technology. And as soon as I had them I knew I wanted to be home with them.

That's what I'd love to say to them but would never dare. It seems like the ones that complain the most have the most. Maybe we should work for free?
kindertouch 09:15 PM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Lol! That'll be a great answer if you happen to talk to a mother or parent who says daycare is expensive.
Unregistered 04:32 AM 11-08-2013
I found a lovely quote the other day:

"Modern cynics and skeptics... see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing."

-John F. Kennedy

Just some brain food, something to stew over in your mind. Something to tell parents when they say it's too expensive. Ask them how much they pay their plumber.
Unregistered 06:53 PM 11-09-2013
I love that last quote! Thanks every one for the input and advice.
LaLa1923 06:56 PM 11-09-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Here's my conversation with whoever mentions that DC is expensive:

DCP: Daycare is so expensive!
ME: Lol Having children is expensive. You have to pay for daycare, health insurance and medical bills, dentist bills, food, clothing, toys, school supplies! And then they get older and there's college. When my husband and I decided we were ready to have kids we sat down and budgeted. That's when we figured out that we could afford three kids and that's only because I do daycare here at home and don't have to pay for daycare for our own three kids. I don't know how other families that have two or more kids do it. They must have big incomes!!!"

When I get to the part about how my husband and I went through the actual math of how much each child was going to cost us to see if we could afford kids they get real quiet and pensive. Usually after I say that we planned and budgeted then decided whether we could afford another child or not they don't say much about it anymore.

The cost of things is what it is. Daycare prices don't suddenly go up just because they decided to have a kid. Generally daycare prices don't take huge hikes in short periods of time, they rise gradually over time with inflation. If they would've asked about how much daycare prices cost just before getting pregnant they'd know what to expect once they were ready to go back to work and therefore would've been prepared KWIM.

Sheesh, I pay minimum $150 JUST for two boxes of diapers and one box of wipes (Costco) every 3 weeks for my baby and DS ... but that was a cost that was factored in when we decided to have the baby KWIM. I'm super glad that I don't have to pay daycare fees for three kids. Another perk of being a family child care provider.
OT but Amazon is cheaper for diapers and wipes
Tags:daycare costs
Reply Up