Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infants! We Have Crossed The Rubicon!
Sugar Magnolia 10:24 AM 02-27-2014
We used to only take 2 year olds and up, then lowered it to one year. Last month we started taking infants.....we have two infants enrolled now....both ten months old. We are a husband/wife small center. I haven't been around babies much recently, my boys are now 10 and.19. I knew it would be rough on us and the older dck's , and it was. The first baby started and the first 3 days were a challenge. This baby has a single mom and hadn't been around adult men much. She didn't even like my husband looking at her! Oy! She got settled in nicely after a week or so. Second baby started and does have a dad at home. Same thing! She did NOT LIKE my husband either! Huh? Would cry if he picked her up, look at her, walk by her, breathe her air. Oy Oy! So new baby and her anxiety set the first baby back a bit.....so basically me and only me caring for the two baby girls. We were both going home frazzled. This week is Baby #1 fourth week and Baby #2 second week.

Finally FINALLY both babies have settled in nicely! Today, baby #2 let hubs hold and play with her for a long time! Phew! It's not like he is a big scary looking guy! He is the quietest, gentle, calm, sweetest guy in the world. I just can't figure out why both these girl babies wanted nothing to do with him!?! I wonder if boy babies would have a similar reaction?

So, we have crossed the Rubicon and entered the realm of infant care, and the first two were ROUGH at first. I just hope it works out and all babies don't freak out on my husband!
llpa 10:50 AM 02-27-2014
How many infants can you take? I admit, anything under twelve months scares the bejesus outta me looks like you are on your way tho!! Congrats!
melilley 10:52 AM 02-27-2014
Awwww, glad it's going good now.

I personally LOVE infants. I would have a house full of them if that was an option....lol
Sugar Magnolia 11:17 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by llpa:
How many infants can you take? I admit, anything under twelve months scares the bejesus outta me looks like you are on your way tho!! Congrats!
Up to 4, but 2 is plenty!!
Sugar Magnolia 11:20 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:

I personally LOVE infants. I would have a house full of them if that was an option....lol
So do ALL infants not like men? At least for two weeks?
Blackcat31 11:23 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
It must depend on the child because every infant I've ever had LOVES my DH and if he and I are in the same room my current DCBaby (age 10 months) won't even make eye contact with me.

I suppose it depends on how often the baby was exposed to other make adults...kwim?

Does your DH like babies? If so, maybe you could have him do the feedings. Fastest and easiest way to bond with a baby is let them.
melilley 11:24 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I just started a 4 mo. old infant and she is in her 4th week here. She LOVES my dh! She stares and smiles at him all the time!

My dh has baby fever though, maybe my infant can sense that....
MCC 11:31 AM 02-27-2014
I have had two babies here who have not liked my husband, it is strange. The older kids like him more than me, because he is a big kid himslef

I have been seriously considering going to infant only care, I much prefer them to the older kids.
Sugar Magnolia 11:32 AM 02-27-2014

Patches 11:42 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:438271:

Maybe you're Dh was a little nervous and the babies were sensing it. Maybe now that he is in baby mode again, he is more relaxed. Just a thought.
Sugar Magnolia 11:52 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by Patches:
Maybe you're Dh was a little nervous and the babies were sensing it. Maybe now that he is in baby mode again, he is more relaxed. Just a thought.
He loves babies, and although he won't admit it, I think his feelings were a little hurt from the rejection those first couple of weeks. Maybe he was nervous, but didn't act any different. He just gave then their space and let them warm up to him at their own pace.
You gals who have dh's who are just kinda around, and not full time care givers in your daycare.....maybe the babies are more accepting of them because they aren't there as much? I dunno.....I'm really stumped.
BBDC 12:45 PM 02-27-2014

I am same way! I prefer babies over older kids! Im glad I can have four under 24 months but would prefer more babies and less older kids lol!
TwinKristi 12:55 PM 02-27-2014
My dh is self-employed so he definitely is around more than most guys. One DCB cried everytime anyone came over he didn't know. Scared, curled up crying! He was 18mos. The other 3-4 infants I've had over the years have all liked dh from the get go. Allllllllll the DCKs love him. If we had a bigger house (and savings for slow times) we could definitely do a large daycare together.
Reply Up