Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Would You Handle This Potential Family?
aDCProvider 06:06 PM 06-09-2014
I interviewed a family a couple weeks ago and told them to let me know if they would like the spot within 48 hours and in turn I would let them know if I will be offering the spot or going with another family. They email to say they want to sign up, I tell them the spot is theirs and to get me their 2 week deposit and signed deposit agreement immediately. I hold spots for 30 days with a 2 week deposit and then charge tuition after 30 days. They did not want to start for 5.5 weeks so they would have to pay a week of tuitition without using the spot.

2 days later they email that they will be out of town for the weekend and will drop off the down payment as soon as they're back. They come back and email me that they are reconsidering their start date for 10 weeks from now and asking if I can hold the spot, I responding that yes, I can, but that would mean paying the holding fee for 4 extra weeks. They weren't sure when they wanted to start but said they were reading and willing to drop off the deposit in a couple days. I told them to just go ahead and put down the deposit ASAP and we could revisit the start date issue and extend the holding fee when and if they decided to push out their start date. Then I don't hear anything for 4 days, finally they email that they are holding off on any daycare decisions right now but will be in touch again when they know their start date. I replied thanking them for letting me know.

I know I will hear back from them, I am the only daycare in town with an infant opening right now and I know they don't have family to help out and they both have to work. I have a feeling they held off thinking they could wait a few weeks, come back and I would reset the 30 day hold and then they wouldn't have to pay holding fees. How would you handle this situation when they come back trying to enroll? Would you reset the 30 day hold? I don't feel like I should, I said I would hold the spot for 30 days from the time they told me they wanted to enroll, not to have them walk away and restart the 30 days 4 weeks later....

WWYD?
CraftyMom 06:29 PM 06-09-2014
Try to get the spot filled so when they come back trying to reset their 30 day hold the spot has been filled and they lost out on a great opportunity
TickleMonster 06:35 PM 06-09-2014
They don't sound very reliable I would try and find someone else to fill the spot and if they come back and still available then give it to them, As for holding it I wouldn't hold it for free, if they truly want to hold the spot I would immediately email them and reinstate the holding fee that should be paid in full ASAP. Good luck either way it goes.
Mister Sir Husband 06:38 PM 06-09-2014
If the spot is still open when they come back, I'd let them have it as if they were never in contact with you before.. but however it's a risk they are willing to take that you will even still have it to offer. By all means if someone else wants it tomorrow, original family is out of luck.
e.j. 06:51 PM 06-09-2014
Originally Posted by Mister Sir Husband:
If the spot is still open when they come back, I'd let them have it as if they were never in contact with you before.. but however it's a risk they are willing to take that you will even still have it to offer. By all means if someone else wants it tomorrow, original family is out of luck.
I would do the same.
Lucy 07:32 PM 06-09-2014
Did you interview other parents? Honestly, I'd call your 2nd choice family and give them the spot.

If not, and this other family comes back in 10 weeks or whatever, I'd say that I've had a slight rate increase. If you have the only infant spot available in town, you're in the power seat. Use that power to get a little bit more money.
rosieteddy 04:33 AM 06-10-2014
I would try like heck to fill the spot.They are taking advantage of you by not committing.I can understand them not wanting to pay for what they are not using but this is your job. I would not turn away if I couldnt fill the spot but defineatly would not save it against policy.Good luck.
aDCProvider 05:10 AM 06-10-2014
I fully intend to fill the space if someone else comes along. The other family I interviewed does not need the spot until March, so that's a no-go.

We'll see what happens...I'm sure I'll have someone come along. I am the only one with an available infant spot and one of the only daycare that takes part timers (I'm only open T-F) so I don't offer full time, where most of the daycare is town will only take full time kids.
Crazy8 07:35 AM 06-10-2014
I would try like heck to fill that spot ASAP and probably wouldn't even take this family if they came back.

I understand their side completely but I don't like them trying to string you along for a few extra weeks while they've been playing games.

If you do need/want them when they come back looking for care I would tell them the space is available immediately and would require full payment in order for you to hold it for any length of time. No more 4 more weeks, 4 more weeks stuff!!!
Blackcat31 07:42 AM 06-10-2014
Originally Posted by Asmithdaycare:
I fully intend to fill the space if someone else comes along. The other family I interviewed does not need the spot until March, so that's a no-go.

We'll see what happens...I'm sure I'll have someone come along. I am the only one with an available infant spot and one of the only daycare that takes part timers (I'm only open T-F) so I don't offer full time, where most of the daycare is town will only take full time kids.
I would pass. Even if you don't have the space filled. I would still pass.

They are too wishy-washy and at YOUR expense.

If they contact you again, just tell them you are no longer offering the spot to them.

Continue advertising and fill the space when the right family comes along.
Shell 07:59 AM 06-10-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would pass. Even if you don't have the space filled. I would still pass.

They are too wishy-washy and at YOUR expense.

If they contact you again, just tell them you are no longer offering the spot to them.

Continue advertising and fill the space when the right family comes along.

Reply Up