Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>It's been real, it's been fun...
Tdhmom 07:12 AM 08-15-2014
BUT it hasn't been real fun!

Chalk me up as another statistic....I only lasted 2 years

I am done with daycare!!!!!!!

I accepted a position within our school district for the parents as teachers program, and have been fighting with myself over whether to tough it out for 2 more years with both jobs or just try my hand at PAT...the other daycare in town that I knew would be the only option for the one family I had, posted that they had 2 full time openings, I took it as a sign and told them that the stress is becoming too much and they should consider talking with the other daycare, I'm not sure how much longer I can do both.

They are surprised, shocked, upset. You name it. The dcm is the one who submits my hours in for the school, and I'm worried I burnt a bridge. My mother in law is her bff (go figure) and she let me know all the wonderful things that have upset them.

There are a number of reasons for this decision...This summer has been horrible! They have never been so disrespectful to me. They were my only family, so when they were off for a day I had the whole day off. I never knew what days they were taking until the day before. This happened at least every other week, they would take Friday off and I wouldn't know until Thursday night. 4th of July even! I asked and asked and asked finally on Wednesday they say they are taking Thursday and Friday off. I asked about Monday after specifically because last year they took it off as well. Oh no they'll be here, I was told. Sunday night I get a text at 6pm saying they are staying another day. I didn't make any plans this summer because I spent it waiting around on them! I don't charge for days they aren't here so I didn't even make $2,000 in 3 1/2 months! And they couldn't even tell me when they would be taking an extra day on the weekends. They were picking up late multiple times a week. Again, my fault, I never charged late fees.

This summer was completely my fault, but they weren't like this at all last summer so I didn't think I needed to spell everything out in black and white.

Needless to say after all that, I feel like a HUGE boulder has been lifted off my chest. I absolutely hated everything about having an in home daycare. I hated the isolation. I hated feeling like I had to put the dck's needs before my own kids. I hated the hey Heidi watch this, hey Heidi, Heidi all. day. long. I hated the never ending texts at night to let me know all the special things they do...I have 3 kids of my own, if it isn't during working hours...I don't give a sh!t! Sorry so blunt, I have a lot of pent up anger because of this job. Ugh I am sooooooo glad to be done!!!!!! Don't brag to me about your never ending camping trips while I'm spending the pennies I make to buy groceries to feed your wonderful little angels. I'm ready to take my house back, my yard is being cleaned up. I am getting rid of all the TOYS! Every toy my children do not touch but I've kept because of the dck's liked it...GONE! I'm so done done done!!!!

I will definitely be checking in from time to time, I have quite a few conversations about books and couponing going on that I look forward to reading about but other than that, thank you ladies and gentlemen for all of your support and advice and encouragement! I couldn't have lasted the 2 years I did without it. Good luck to all of you! It takes a special person to do this job and enjoy it you all are saints!
Blackcat31 07:20 AM 08-15-2014
Well, geez Heidi why don't you tell us how you really feel?

I hear you! I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. Funny how one single family can do that to you huh?

Hopefully they "learn" to be a better daycare family for their next provider.

It sounds like you are more than ready to begin this new stage in life so I wish you all the happiness, joy and satisfaction you didn't get from being a provider.

It's definitely not something everyone can do long term. If it weren't for certain specifics of my situation I don't think I'd have done this as long as I have either.

Kudos to you though for doing it as long as you did! I am sure you made a difference in the lives of the kids you had.

I guess it takes the chaos before the calm to help us truly appreciate the calm. Again....wishing you happiness and fulfillment in your new adventure!!!

Check in once in a while so we know you are still doing okay!! I love hearing stories about life on the other side of daycare!

Congratulations and lots of happy thoughts sent your way!!
Tdhmom 07:27 AM 08-15-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Well, geez Heidi why don't you tell us how you really feel?

I hear you! I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. Funny how one single family can do that to you huh?

Hopefully they "learn" to be a better daycare family for their next provider.

It sounds like you are more than ready to begin this new stage in life so I wish you all the happiness, joy and satisfaction you didn't get from being a provider.

It's definitely not something everyone can do long term. If it weren't for certain specifics of my situation I don't think I'd have done this as long as I have either.

Kudos to you though for doing it as long as you did! I am sure you made a difference in the lives of the kids you had.

I guess it takes the chaos before the calm to help us truly appreciate the calm. Again....wishing you happiness and fulfillment in your new adventure!!!

Check in once in a while so we know you are still doing okay!! I love hearing stories about life on the other side of daycare!

Congratulations and lots of happy thoughts sent your way!!
sorry it was quite a lot that I've been holding onto! Thank you Blackcat! You're the first person I reached out to on this forum and you helped me tremendously!!!! I will definitely keep in touch
CedarCreek 07:40 AM 08-15-2014
Welcome to the other side! Insert devil horns here

I'm glad you got out of what sounded like a bad situation! DC can be fun but yes, one family can ruin it for you.

I was offered another job or I would have tried it again at our new house. Turns out I probably would have done well too, the home daycare providers around here have a TON of worrisome deficiencies.
nannyde 07:44 AM 08-15-2014
You did your time sistah. No harm no foul. It's not for everyone and just like any other job you try and you don't like.
Cat Herder 08:14 AM 08-15-2014
Congrats on the new adventure

If you have time will you tell us about that program? I have never heard of that. It sounds fun.

Is the pay pretty close to what you were bringing in with a full roster? What are the benefits (insurance, retirements, etc)?

(Sounds like a nice plan B for when my kids are off to college.)
MyAngels 08:27 AM 08-15-2014
Congratulations! It sounds like you are off to bigger and better things

Good luck in your new venture!
Josiegirl 09:50 AM 08-15-2014
I'm GREEN with envy! Enjoy your new job and reclaiming your home!
cheerfuldom 10:01 AM 08-15-2014
I cant wait till I can quit Is that bad?

but yeah, I am glad you are able to move on with your life and be happier in your choice. I am hoping this is my last year and while I dont allow families to act like yours was, it still is a really hard job and definitely not for everyone, especially long term.
KidGrind 10:52 AM 08-15-2014
Originally Posted by Tdhmom:

I accepted a position within our school district for the parents as teachers program, and have been fighting with myself over whether to tough it out for 2 more years with both jobs or just try my hand at PAT...the other daycare in town that I knew would be the only option for the one family I had, posted that they had 2 full time openings, I took it as a sign and told them that the stress is becoming too much and they should consider talking with the other daycare, I'm not sure how much longer I can do both.

They are surprised, shocked, upset. You name it. The dcm is the one who submits my hours in for the school, and I'm worried I burnt a bridge. My mother in law is her bff (go figure) and she let me know all the wonderful things that have upset them.

There are a number of reasons for this decision...This summer has been horrible! They have never been so disrespectful to me. They were my only family, so when they were off for a day I had the whole day off. I never knew what days they were taking until the day before. This happened at least every other week, they would take Friday off and I wouldn't know until Thursday night. 4th of July even! I asked and asked and asked finally on Wednesday they say they are taking Thursday and Friday off. I asked about Monday after specifically because last year they took it off as well. Oh no they'll be here, I was told. Sunday night I get a text at 6pm saying they are staying another day. I didn't make any plans this summer because I spent it waiting around on them! I don't charge for days they aren't here so I didn't even make $2,000 in 3 1/2 months! And they couldn't even tell me when they would be taking an extra day on the weekends. They were picking up late multiple times a week. Again, my fault, I never charged late fees.

This summer was completely my fault, but they weren't like this at all last summer so I didn't think I needed to spell everything out in black and white.

Needless to say after all that, I feel like a HUGE boulder has been lifted off my chest. I absolutely hated everything about having an in home daycare. I hated the isolation. I hated feeling like I had to put the dck's needs before my own kids. I hated the hey Heidi watch this, hey Heidi, Heidi all. day. long. I hated the never ending texts at night to let me know all the special things they do...I have 3 kids of my own, if it isn't during working hours...I don't give a sh!t! Sorry so blunt, I have a lot of pent up anger because of this job. Ugh I am sooooooo glad to be done!!!!!! Don't brag to me about your never ending camping trips while I'm spending the pennies I make to buy groceries to feed your wonderful little angels. I'm ready to take my house back, my yard is being cleaned up. I am getting rid of all the TOYS! Every toy my children do not touch but I've kept because of the dck's liked it...GONE! I'm so done done done!!!!

I will definitely be checking in from time to time, I have quite a few conversations about books and couponing going on that I look forward to reading about but other than that, thank you ladies and gentlemen for all of your support and advice and encouragement! I couldn't have lasted the 2 years I did without it. Good luck to all of you! It takes a special person to do this job and enjoy it you all are saints!

GOOD FOR YOU!

By the way, thank you for turning me on to Cosmic Kid Yoga. My kids love it and so do I.
melilley 11:37 AM 08-15-2014
Let It Go, Let It Go!! Sorry, that came into my head after reading your post..lol

I feel like you at times, especially getting you house back! I'm glad that you found something else that you want to do, congratulations!
MOM OF 4 11:45 AM 08-15-2014
OMG I can relate!

I dont' care for what I do now, but it's still better than putting up with them parents! lol
mema 11:50 AM 08-15-2014

Congratulations! Today is my last day and I am thrilled! I will miss certain things, but am so looking forward to my house being toyless. Enjoy your peace and house!

My3cents 12:09 PM 08-15-2014

best wishes to you!
My3cents 12:11 PM 08-15-2014
Originally Posted by mema:

Congratulations! Today is my last day and I am thrilled! I will miss certain things, but am so looking forward to my house being toyless. Enjoy your peace and house!
Best wishes Mema!
Tdhmom 12:53 PM 08-15-2014
Thank you all for the kind words I am so glad I found this place a year ago!

The Parents as Teachers program is awesome! I will actually be doubling my income and working half the hours. So my 3 year old daughter is going to the same daycare I referred that family to one day a week...the rest of the time is just me and her while my 2 sons are in school!!! Ekkkkk I am so incredibly excited about that!!!

So about the program...I service newborn-3 years this year and will be branching out to newborn-5 next year. I bring handouts that explain that age and I bring an activity for that age as well, it's usually an activity we can use with just stuff lying around your house. The home visits last roughly an hour and if the parents are having any issues they can ask and if I don't have an answer I have an entire website that has every print out for anything a parent could ever need.

It was actually put in place to help parents understand what developmental milestones their kids should be reaching at what ages and when you should start to worry if those aren't being reached. So we're basically the stepping stones before school. If there is a speech or hearing problem, we can intervene and have a therapist work with the child before school starts so they aren't back peddling and trying to keep up with their peers, basically. If there are any learning disabilities, same thing as well. We can be there to suggest getting help before the first day of kindergarten starts. Like any parent, you put blinders on. Your children are always perfect and you don't want to find the flaws. Sometimes parents need that one person to suggest maybe we need to start steering this way so we have a head start before school.

Since all the visits are in their home we can also keep an eye on how they live, to an extent. Most of the children in our program are low income. Their way of living isn't necessarily how we would keep house so with that comes a fine line.

I also hold monthly group meetings. So I invite all children and parents within my age group to a monthly meeting at the school, I have an early literacy night with our local library set up for next month and we usually get free books to give to parents, I plan on doing a messy night the month after that. Just fun stuff that gets parents involved in their child's play. It's also like a connection for parents not just for kids.

The pay is actually a lot more than you would think. For every visit I make I can get reimbursed through the state of Missouri for $50-55 depending on if they are high needs or not. I don't work in the summer!!!! One of the many selling points I'm just super excited!!
Tdhmom 12:53 PM 08-15-2014
Originally Posted by mema:

You too!!!! Congratulations!!!
CraftyMom 01:22 PM 08-15-2014
I'm happy that you are so happy!
Cat Herder 02:15 PM 08-15-2014
Thank you all for the kind words I am so glad I found this place a year ago!

The Parents as Teachers program is awesome! I will actually be doubling my income and working half the hours. So my 3 year old daughter is going to the same daycare I referred that family to one day a week...the rest of the time is just me and her while my 2 sons are in school!!! Ekkkkk I am so incredibly excited about that!!!

So about the program...I service newborn-3 years this year and will be branching out to newborn-5 next year. I bring handouts that explain that age and I bring an activity for that age as well, it's usually an activity we can use with just stuff lying around your house. The home visits last roughly an hour and if the parents are having any issues they can ask and if I don't have an answer I have an entire website that has every print out for anything a parent could ever need.

It was actually put in place to help parents understand what developmental milestones their kids should be reaching at what ages and when you should start to worry if those aren't being reached. So we're basically the stepping stones before school. If there is a speech or hearing problem, we can intervene and have a therapist work with the child before school starts so they aren't back peddling and trying to keep up with their peers, basically. If there are any learning disabilities, same thing as well. We can be there to suggest getting help before the first day of kindergarten starts. Like any parent, you put blinders on. Your children are always perfect and you don't want to find the flaws. Sometimes parents need that one person to suggest maybe we need to start steering this way so we have a head start before school.

Since all the visits are in their home we can also keep an eye on how they live, to an extent. Most of the children in our program are low income. Their way of living isn't necessarily how we would keep house so with that comes a fine line.

I also hold monthly group meetings. So I invite all children and parents within my age group to a monthly meeting at the school, I have an early literacy night with our local library set up for next month and we usually get free books to give to parents, I plan on doing a messy night the month after that. Just fun stuff that gets parents involved in their child's play. It's also like a connection for parents not just for kids.

The pay is actually a lot more than you would think. For every visit I make I can get reimbursed through the state of Missouri for $50-55 depending on if they are high needs or not. I don't work in the summer!!!! One of the many selling points I'm just super excited!!
Wow, that sounds awesome. What qualifications do you have to have for that?
Tdhmom 02:24 PM 08-15-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Wow, that sounds awesome. What qualifications do you have to have for that?
2 years of childcare experience...I think you would be covered
Cat Herder 02:50 PM 08-15-2014
2 years of childcare experience...I think you would be covered
Yeah, maybe once or twice... Thanks.
Luna 04:48 PM 08-15-2014
I think there are a few of us who would jump at an opportunity like that! Best wishes to you in your new adventure and congratulations
My group and I would also like to thank you for turning us on to Cosmic Kids Yoga.
Cheers!
jenboo 05:17 PM 08-15-2014
Yay!!!!!
That sounds like what I originally wanted to do with my degree.. I can never seem to find a position like that though.
Tdhmom 06:41 PM 08-15-2014
Originally Posted by Luna:
I think there are a few of us who would jump at an opportunity like that! Best wishes to you in your new adventure and congratulations
My group and I would also like to thank you for turning us on to Cosmic Kids Yoga.
Cheers!
I'm so glad everyone enjoys that as much as we did!

Originally Posted by jenboo:
Yay!!!!!
That sounds like what I originally wanted to do with my degree.. I can never seem to find a position like that though.
I believe the website posts jobs available too! Maybe try that route...its Parents as Teachers. I kind of fell into it to be honest. It was my son's kindergarten teacher that was resigning from the position and she mentioned it to me and I went after it! I asked and bugged everyone I could it worked!
Tags:goodbye, support
Reply Up