Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pneumonia
CraftyMom 01:24 PM 11-17-2014
How long would you exclude a child with pneumonia?

A dcb 2.5 has it for the 2nd time in 2 months. Friday he was here, miserable cough, runny nose, as the day progressed he looked very tired and just not well. Saturday they went to the dr, who said it's just a bad cold. Over night he started vomiting so they brought him back in today. Double ear infection and pneumonia. He is on antibiotics now. His next day here is Wednesday. Online I'm reading that pneumonia is contagious as long as symptoms are present, since coughing and sneezing spread the bacteria. So even if he is on antibiotics, do I exclude if he is still coughing on Wednesday? My gut says yes. Also pneumonia can be bacterial or viral, so antibiotics may not even do the trick.

He also had a high fever, not sure the temp, and was shivering and lethargic this morning (at home, he did not come today). So definitely he will be home until 24 hours free of fever or vomiting, but the cough is what I'm concerned with
Cradle2crayons 01:51 PM 11-17-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
How long would you exclude a child with pneumonia?

A dcb 2.5 has it for the 2nd time in 2 months. Friday he was here, miserable cough, runny nose, as the day progressed he looked very tired and just not well. Saturday they went to the dr, who said it's just a bad cold. Over night he started vomiting so they brought him back in today. Double ear infection and pneumonia. He is on antibiotics now. His next day here is Wednesday. Online I'm reading that pneumonia is contagious as long as symptoms are present, since coughing and sneezing spread the bacteria. So even if he is on antibiotics, do I exclude if he is still coughing on Wednesday? My gut says yes. Also pneumonia can be bacterial or viral, so antibiotics may not even do the trick.

He also had a high fever, not sure the temp, and was shivering and lethargic this morning (at home, he did not come today). So definitely he will be home until 24 hours free of fever or vomiting, but the cough is what I'm concerned with
I don't exclude based on a diagnosis, but for symptoms instead.. Which in this case I would exclude for a fever, uncontrollable cough, and fatigue that interferes with his ability to participate in daycare activities, vomiting, etc.

Chances are the cough will linger for quite some time but it may or may not be bothersome to him.

I would certainly monitor him for wheezing, shortness of breath, and off color lips if coughing or laughing etc.

The fact is, the organism that causes pneumonia is no more or less contagious than anything else. Personally I think the viral is more annoying and lingers longer. With this child's history the last few months, I'd thi the doc would have enough common sense to do a culture on this child to see what organism is causing his issue so it can be treated accordingly.
Thriftylady 02:18 PM 11-17-2014
I would say the antibiotics for at least 48 hours, and then base it on symptoms. That being said, it can take a long time to completely get over pneumonia. The breathing part especially can take a long time to completely clear up and activity may cause the coughing. DH had it a few years ago, it is was a couple of months before the lungs were completely cleared up. I am guessing DCB won't take nearly that long kids get over these things faster, and I wouldn't exclude for that long, but be aware that his physical activities may need to slow a little as he improves.
CraftyMom 02:28 PM 11-17-2014
Thanks! I will have mom update me tomorrow night or Wed morning (or both) and see how he is feeling and acting.

Poor kid! The ear infections alone must have been enough for him
CraftyMom 05:44 PM 11-17-2014
Poor boy is at the er waiting for a chest x-ray! The coughing is getting worse, albuterol treatments aren't helping. I hope they get some answers and some sleep!
Tags:pneumonia
Reply Up