Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What To Do With *My* SA Child In Summer?
CityGarden 11:52 AM 03-20-2018
I am torn on what to do with my own dd (11) in the summer... what do you all do with your SA kids in summer? Is it a pain to have them at home? Do they feel resentment at home without peers their own age? I would love to hear your experiences both positive and negative.

Here is what I am considering

Option A: Summer Theater Camp which would mean dd would only overlap/interact with the dcks about an hour a day.... and then one week would be no camp where either we would take vacation that week or dd would work with me for the week.

Option B: She would go to sleep away camp for two weeks and would spend 4 weeks of summer with the dcks full time.... one week in June then three consecutive weeks in July. I could take dd to swim lessons, tutoring, play dates, etc. after work but during work hours she would be here either helping or upstairs in her room....

Dd really wants to go back to her favorite sleep away camp and I do see the value in a sleep away camp experience but it's so expensive I could not do that plus the theater camp. Thoughts? Having dd here with the dcks could be a huge help to me as sometimes she is engaged and a joy when seeing the dcks other times she resents them in her space and taking her mom (typical tween mood swings, etc.)

Thoughts? Ideas? Advice?

TIA
Play Care 12:33 PM 03-20-2018
Personally I'd vote for the one that has her away with peers most of the summer. I find no matter how we plan and come up with lists, my kids essentially sit around all day when I'm working
The other thing that we do with our kids now that they are older is have them come up with the $ for special camps. They get allowances and can put some towards the cost, or when grandparents ask for birthday gift ideas both dd's will ask for $ for camp, etc. I love that rather than a gift that winds up in the basement

This year both DD's will go away for one week of sleep away camp (two different camps on two different weeks) as well as one week of day camp. I am off for two weeks at the beginning of the summer, and then plan to be off Fridays so they can have friends over.
Mom2Two 01:37 PM 03-20-2018
Following.

This Summer will likely be the last one where DD has peers in my dc group, unless some of them come back the following Summer, which is a possibility.

I like to do field trips in the Summer...but my business umbrella policy that I have through American Family just more than doubled. If I didn't care about transportation insurance, I could just go through Assure and get their insurance for half what I'm paying right now.
Snowmom 06:24 AM 03-21-2018
It is a pain.

My own SA kids take random day camp days throughout the summer through our city parks and rec. They are relatively inexpensive camps and they're fun.

My kids actually like hanging around the daycare kids. But, they are SUPER bad about following daycare rules.

I also plan some random summer parties with bounce houses and slip and slides that they *earn* with good behaviors. This way they all have something to work for and look forward to.
hwichlaz 08:38 AM 03-21-2018
Day camps...and putting them to work when they are home.
Tags:summer
Reply Up