Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Allow Staff Children To Attend For Free?
Unregistered 03:47 PM 03-21-2018
We have a staff member who will no longer be subsidized for her care and is asking for free care for her child in order for continue her employment. I'm thinking several staff members with this arrangement can sink our daycare financially. I'm wondering how other centers handle this.

Thanks for your input!
Mike 04:16 PM 03-21-2018
I know some of the others here offer discounts, but not too many providers will offer free because it does count towards the limit, plus it takes time and resources away from the other kids.
racemom 06:47 PM 03-21-2018
The daycare I work at has 1/2 price tuition for staff. The kids do count in ratio, so they are taking available spots, but I also realize that most staff wouldn't be able to enroll their children at full price.
jenboo 07:40 PM 03-21-2018
I worked at one where employees got free childcare.
lblanke 01:37 AM 03-22-2018
As a parent, I would not stay if a staff member had a child in care. I'm not sure it helps you gain business.
amberrose3dg 04:25 AM 03-22-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
We have a staff member who will no longer be subsidized for her care and is asking for free care for her child in order for continue her employment. I'm thinking several staff members with this arrangement can sink our daycare financially. I'm wondering how other centers handle this.

Thanks for your input!
Nope and in fact I prefer their child not be present and goes to another daycare or is older( at 6 they no longer count in ratios). I have had issues with assistants being too involved with their kids and it causing problems. A larger center I could see if they weren't caring for their child. For example at nap time my old assistant's 3 and 4 year old girls not wanting to nap and it caused issues with my other kids who were trying to sleep.That is one of the biggest headaches I have with trying to hire assistants. They expect to bring their infant or young toddler to work when they apply for the job and also expect it to be free as well.
Blackcat31 06:04 AM 03-22-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Nope and in fact I prefer their child not be present and goes to another daycare or is older( at 6 they no longer count in ratios). I have had issues with assistants being too involved with their kids and it causing problems. A larger center I could see if they weren't caring for their child. For example at nap time my old assistant's 3 and 4 year old girls not wanting to nap and it caused issues with my other kids who were trying to sleep.That is one of the biggest headaches I have with trying to hire assistants. They expect to bring their infant or young toddler to work when they apply for the job and also expect it to be free as well.
My state has made a similar rule for parents working in the child care field. If the parent gets state subsidy for child care their child cannot attend the facility in which they work.

As a business owner I would never give my staff free child care.
amberrose3dg 06:23 AM 03-22-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My state has made a similar rule for parents working in the child care field. If the parent gets state subsidy for child care their child cannot attend the facility in which they work.

As a business owner I would never give my staff free child care.
It is the same here. They have to take them to a different daycare. I could imagine all the issues if they allowed it.
CityGarden 08:52 AM 03-22-2018
If I ran a center I would aim to give 50% childcare reduction if the business could afford it, but in a small home program I would not want my staff to have their children present so I would offer no such discount or do anything to encourage them having their child present.
daycarediva 09:31 AM 03-22-2018
Originally Posted by lblanke:
As a parent, I would not stay if a staff member had a child in care. I'm not sure it helps you gain business.
So as a parent, you would never chose a home daycare for the same reason?

My assistant has her child attend, for free, on days we have the room. It's created no additional issues. Maybe because I am upfront in the 'no special treatment' rule. I understand it because I had my own children 'enrolled' with me when they were younger.
boy_mom 09:39 AM 03-22-2018
If she was a great employee I might offer her child care "at cost", so not free but enough to cover what would be spent to care for her child.

To me a good employee who is happy would be worth the discount!
Blackcat31 10:05 AM 03-22-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
So as a parent, you would never chose a home daycare for the same reason?
I wouldn't.

I always tried hard not to enroll kids the same age as my own and as a parent avoided care situations where the provider had her own young children in care.

I know having your own young child is common for many providers and is a lot of times why the provider is in the field in the first place but to be completely honest I would never even consider a program that had children in care belonging to the owner or staff (center and FCC equally).
Play Care 10:11 AM 03-22-2018
I see both sides of this.

And at the risk of being flamed, even with my own kids not in care, I still have my favorites.
ColorfulSunburst 10:28 AM 03-22-2018
I allow to my assistant bring her 3rd grade kid here during time when his school is closed (even during summer recess). For free. He is a great boy. He can help if we need. When he is here his mom is still working as well as without him here.
daycarediva 11:07 AM 03-22-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I wouldn't.

I always tried hard not to enroll kids the same age as my own and as a parent avoided care situations where the provider had her own young children in care.

I know having your own young child is common for many providers and is a lot of times why the provider is in the field in the first place but to be completely honest I would never even consider a program that had children in care belonging to the owner or staff (center and FCC equally).
I hear you. I never allowed the kids to see my favorites, and my kids were treated the same, which is why I enrolled them elsewhere for Prek, and did summer camps, etc for SA and enrolled no kids close in age.

Originally Posted by Play Care:
I see both sides of this.

And at the risk of being flamed, even with my own kids not in care, I still have my favorites.
DUDE, same.

The kids don't know it, but I have now and always will have favorites. Their parents know sometimes, though.
hwichlaz 12:44 PM 03-22-2018
Hmmmm. I don’t know one single child care provider in my county that doens’t have her own children at home. Why else would they even start? We’re not paid very much, the only REAL financial benefits are the tax deductions and not having to pay for childcare for our own kids.
Blackcat31 01:44 PM 03-22-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Hmmmm. I don’t know one single child care provider in my county that doens’t have her own children at home. Why else would they even start? We’re not paid very much, the only REAL financial benefits are the tax deductions and not having to pay for childcare for our own kids.

Why even start?

Well I do make a fairly decent wage. I set my own policies and decide what I will/won't do with my day. I don't work holidays or weekends or evenings and can look ahead to June and know exactly what days I will or won't work. I don't have to wait for anyone to approve my vacation or time off requests.

Those ^^ are a few good reasons in my honest opinion.

It's a pretty equal mix here in my area.

Some providers have their own young children at home and some do not.
storybookending 06:58 PM 03-22-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I don’t have children of my own or a spouse even and I started a family child care. A lot of the ladies in my town running child care out of their homes do not have young children and they do it because they love it. Not having to answer to a boss or leave my house in bad weather is enough to seal the deal for me. The center I worked at is expanding and my old boss half jokingly asked if I was “sick of this yet” and wanted a job running the childcare in the new building. I laughed so loud at her it’s probably still ringing in her ears. Going back to having people to answer to is the exact opposite of what I want and the reason I left them for this in the first place.
amberrose3dg 04:17 AM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I don’t have children of my own or a spouse even and I started a family child care. A lot of the ladies in my town running child care out of their homes do not have young children and they do it because they love it. Not having to answer to a boss or leave my house in bad weather is enough to seal the deal for me. The center I worked at is expanding and my old boss half jokingly asked if I was “sick of this yet” and wanted a job running the childcare in the new building. I laughed so loud at her it’s probably still ringing in her ears. Going back to having people to answer to is the exact opposite of what I want and the reason I left them for this in the first place.
That is also a huge perk for me as well. I worked in the technology field for 15 years. I got sick of answering to my bosses especially on things I did not agree with. Now I make my own decisions and it feels great. I also saw it as an opportunity to provide quality care in my area where it is lacking. I have a 3 year old but she is not even in the daycare area most of the day. She spends most of her time with my husband anyway and naps in her room also.
BumbleBee 04:52 AM 03-23-2018
Did it once. Never again. No discounts, no free. They pay just like everybody else.
ColorfulSunburst 05:07 AM 03-23-2018
I think it depends on what kind of persons are your assistant and her child. For some one you allow it and never regret. For some one you will never allow to do it even for a highest rate
Febby 06:56 AM 03-23-2018
All the centers I have worked at offered staff discounts (20-50%), but I've never been anywhere where it was free. Policies on staff children varied; some allowed the parent to work in the same room as the child, others did not. The only state regulation about is that parents who receive child care assistance may not work in the same room as their child. A lot of the people I've worked with have had issues with being distracted by issues going on with their child, which is always frustrating.
amberrose3dg 09:08 AM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by Febby:
All the centers I have worked at offered staff discounts (20-50%), but I've never been anywhere where it was free. Policies on staff children varied; some allowed the parent to work in the same room as the child, others did not. The only state regulation about is that parents who receive child care assistance may not work in the same room as their child. A lot of the people I've worked with have had issues with being distracted by issues going on with their child, which is always frustrating.

Exactly! . I always do a basic phone interview and then do a follow up longer phone interview before I waste my time on an in-person one. I had a young lady apply. During the first phone call she informs she has an infant and a 2 year old. Not only did she expect me to have room for them but she wanted to bring them for FREE. I was supposed to kick two of my kids out and PAY you a good wage on top of it. I simply told her I would not have room for her children, sorry. She has harassed and threatened me each time I run an ad for an assistant. I'm not sure why so many people think their daycare SHOULD be free.
Tags:free childcare, staff children
Reply Up