Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Who should cover the cost of field trips?
Provider should pay 17 32.69%
Parent should pay 31 59.62%
The fee should be split 4 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Field Trip....Who Pays??
LaLa1923 08:42 AM 10-03-2013
I am planning a field trip to the pumpkin patch. My question is...who pays?

I got a group rate of $9.25 which includes admission, hayride, and a pumpkin!

What do you think?
Blackcat31 08:46 AM 10-03-2013
I do a field trip to the Pumpkin Patch too.

I always pay. I figure it's part of the services I offer.

If parents are required to pay, they should also have the option of NOT going/participating and yet still use child care so I would think you would have to have a back up provider available so that anyone NOT wanting to go/pay will still have child care to use....kwim?

Also if you pay for it all, it's tax deductible.
itlw8 09:23 AM 10-03-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

If parents are required to pay, they should also have the option of NOT going/participating and yet still use child care so I would think you would have to have a back up provider available so that anyone NOT wanting to go/pay will still have child care to use....kwim?

I said they should pay because schools charge... but they have something for those who do not go to do.... so I agree you would need to pay for back up if any chose not to go .
Leigh 09:33 AM 10-03-2013
I can purchase a pass for the entire daycare at our local zoo for $100, so I pay for those trips. I'd probably pay for the pumpkin patch, too. A trip to the Children's Museum, the parents pay for admission, I provide food. It depends on the situation for me.
Blackcat31 09:36 AM 10-03-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
I said they should pay because schools charge... but they have something for those who do not go to do.... so I agree you would need to pay for back up if any chose not to go .
plus the school teacher doesn't get to write off the expense as a deduction on her taxes...
Blackcat31 09:37 AM 10-03-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
I am planning a field trip to the pumpkin patch. My question is...who pays?

I got a group rate of $9.25 which includes admission, hayride, and a pumpkin!

What do you think?
What is the plan if a family doesn't want to go/pay? Will there still be child care services available to them that day or would they need to go elsewhere since you wouldn't be home?

Would the parents still pay you for that day?

I guess those things ^^^ would be the deciding factors for me anyways.....
originalkat 09:46 AM 10-03-2013
First-- $9.25 PER KID!!!?? That is crazy high IMO, but I guess your COL must be higher. Our group rates are $4-5 per child including games, a snack, pumpkin, hayrack ride etc...

I never pay for field trips. We go on about 4 per year. I feel it is an extra that I offer to parents, but that doesn't mean I foot the bill. I have never had a parent think twice about paying for their own child to go on a field trip.

Also, I have in my parent handbook "If you do not wish for your child to participate in the field trip it is your responsibility to find alternate care." (and YES they still pay)
Leigh 09:49 AM 10-03-2013
What is the plan if a family doesn't want to go/pay? Will there still be child care services available to them that day or would they need to go elsewhere since you wouldn't be home?

I haven't had a parent decline yet, but my husband is available to watch kids in my absence, so I wouldn't have to leave someone without care. I tell parents when they enroll that I pay for MOST outings, but that they will be expected to contribute to some of the "special" ones. It's a $250+ trip to the museum (hiring a helper, transportation for the 100 mile round trip, admission for all and their expensive lunches)-having the parents pay part of it makes me more motivated to take them.
snbauser 09:55 AM 10-03-2013
I have always had the parents pay and no one has ever said a word.
Leanna 10:15 AM 10-03-2013
We only go on walking field trips but we are having a local farm set up a pumpkin patch in my backyard on the 22nd (they offer this service because so many daycares/schools lose transportation because of budget cuts). I am paying for it as part of the service I offer (which is what I do in all situations like this) BUT if the families want extra pumpkins, they can order them and will pay themselves.
Lucy 10:22 AM 10-03-2013
This is just me, but I'd probably talk about the trip and then casually throw in how proud you are of getting that group discount where it will only cost $9.25!! And then see if they say, "Oh, I'll send money with her that day", or something like that. Kind of leave it to their discretion. I feel like if I planned the trip, I should pay, but if they offer - I'm not turning it down!!!!
LaLa1923 10:50 AM 10-03-2013

Originally Posted by originalkat:
First-- $9.25 PER KID!!!?? That is crazy high IMO, but I guess your COL must be higher. Our group rates are $4-5 per child including games, a snack, pumpkin, hayrack ride etc...

I never pay for field trips. We go on about 4 per year. I feel it is an extra that I offer to parents, but that doesn't mean I foot the bill. I have never had a parent think twice about paying for their own child to go on a field trip.

Also, I have in my parent handbook "If you do not wish for your child to participate in the field trip it is your responsibility to find alternate care." (and YES they still pay)
They pay me no matter what, they are not required to attend trips. Also, in my contract.

plus the school teacher doesn't get to write off the expense as a deduction on her taxes...
I know, but, I thought Tom said a $1 does not equal a dollar?

My parents would have no issue with paying, I just want to do the right thing.

LaLa1923 10:51 AM 10-03-2013
Originally Posted by originalkat:

I don't think that's high at all. A pumpkin price here for a small starts at $4-$5.
sharlan 10:57 AM 10-03-2013
It really all depends on the cost. Generally anything that costs less than $10, I will pay for. Anything above that, the parents pay.

I pay for all low cost things, plus I buy memberships wherever I can and don't charge the parents for those. We have the LA Zoo, Santa Ana Z00, and the Aquarium of the Pacific right now.

I have the parents pay for expensive passes like the local water park or Knott's Berry Farm tickets. I always give them advance notice so they have time to save up.

The parents always have the option of keeping the child home if they don't want to pay. I've never had a child stay home, though.
mrsnj 10:58 AM 10-03-2013
If I paid for everything out of pocket I wouldn't take the kids places. Why would I lose money for a field trip? Now sometimes its my decision if I want to treat. But most times I will require a payment if a cost is required.

In the summer we do a field trip once a wk for my sa kids. I pay for the aide and gas myself. Then I alternate between the pàrk(free) with bowling the next wk etc. This way they aren't always paying. If I has to cover them all, I wouldn't go at all.
daycarediva 11:02 AM 10-03-2013
What's in your contract/handbook?

I don't do transportation, but if I did, it would cost around $15-20 each. We have a very nice place locally with hayrides, snack/food bar, pumpkins, petting zoo, a few rides and games.

If I ever decide that is something I want to offer, I would include 'parent is responsible for all fees' in my contract under the field trip section, and go over on interview that I will not cover the cost, that I do X amount of trips per year at an average cost of X and there is no backup care if they decide not to attend.

Field trips and extras are tax deductible, but I would be taking a loss on it, since I don't get 100% of the money back. Just one of many reasons why we only go on walking field trips (and there are several places locally we do go to, on occasion but all are free or VERY low cost ($1/2)
Jack Sprat 11:08 AM 10-03-2013

I feel the provider should pay. Although I have an awesome family who gives me money for our field trips. I refuse it and they have always added it on to my weekly pay. They are the only family that does this. I feel that if I am taking them on a trip somewhere then I should pay. Just my opinion.

I don't have a large daycare() so the cost for me isn't too bad.
melilley 11:17 AM 10-03-2013
I said that I think the provider should pay. I don't do field trips, but if I did I would probably just raise my rate so much per week to cover the cost of field trips. I actually kind of based my rate on the fact that I do not do field trips. There are a few fcc's around me who charge about $10 more a week than me, but they do have field trips.
MCC 11:40 AM 10-03-2013
I always pay, however, I am thinking about charging next year. I go on about 1 trip a week, as the weather is getting colder, I am having to pay to do more inside things, and at $10/kid/activity, that's swiping $50 out of my pocket really quickly.

We just went to the pumpkin patch on Tuesday, it was $9 each, I paid, but I only took my older ones, so I paid for me and 3 kids.
MamaBearCanada 11:56 AM 10-03-2013
I feel this is something that should be covered in the interview & handbook. I think it's fine either way but the parent should know beforehand if there are going to be additional costs to tuition. If trips haven't been discussed I don't think it's fair to say to a parent we are going on a trip and either you pay or you take a day off work to keep your child home. Some parents just don't want trips they want basic care with no variation in scheduling.

My current policy states that field trips are included. I budget them into tuition. I only go to places $10 & less a child and I can only have a max of 5. In the past when I charged less they were extra. I prefer including them in tuition because it's less hassle to get money and the parents I have like the extra service.
SunnyDay 11:59 AM 10-03-2013
I also don't do any transportation, therefore no field trips, but if I did I would expect the parents to pay. When my kids have school field trips I pay for them. I would also have it in my policy handbook that this is expected, though, so there would be no surprises.
Unregistered 12:03 PM 10-03-2013
if my provider decided to take the kids on a field trip and it was something I didn't want to pay for, I'd be okay with that but no way would I be okay with still having to pay the provider for that day. I don't think it's fair if I have to pay both providers.

Requiring payment for field trips from parents and then still requiring them to pay for care that day, if they don't go to the pumpkin patch, makes it seem like field trips aren't really optional but mandatory.
childcarebytori 12:04 PM 10-03-2013
Parents are required to pay for field trips here. We go on 2 - 5 a week, depending on the month, our theme, ect.

12 kids @ $6 for Pumpkin Patch = $72 ---- That's almost the amount of a week's worth of tuition for one of my part-timers This is just one field trip.

Add in another 5 or 6 paying field trips that month and I wouldn't be making anything.

I've yet to have any parent NOT want their child to participate on our outings, and I've yet to encounter any issue with anyone not willing to pay for all trips.

HTH!
craftymissbeth 12:06 PM 10-03-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
if my provider decided to take the kids on a field trip and it was something I didn't want to pay for, I'd be okay with that but no way would I be okay with still having to pay the provider for that day. I don't think it's fair if I have to pay both providers.

Requiring payment for field trips from parents and then still requiring them to pay for care that day, if they don't go to the pumpkin patch, makes it seem like field trips aren't really optional but mandatory.
I agree. I don't do field trips because I have a very young group, but if I did I would likely pay out of pocket myself. If I needed the parents to pay and they didn't want to then I would just credit the day and they can use their alternate (I don't provide a back-up ever).
Lianne 12:52 PM 10-03-2013
It depends on the cost and how much notice I can give parents. If it's less than $5/kid I usually pay for it but if it's more than that then I have the parents pay. I almost always give two weeks' notice when charging for field trips but sometimes have only managed a week's notice and no one has had an issue. Admittedly, I'm not great at preplanning so my field trips often have just a few days' notice which is why I end up paying. We rarely do a trip that costs more than $5/kid, maybe twice a year and often not that often.

Here's one thing I do. If I have some children that are young enough to get in for free and some that require admission, I add up all the costs of admission, including my own and divide it equally between all families, including myself. This way the older kids' parents pay a bit less and eventually the younger kids' will be old enough to require admission so then their parents get a break too.
Cradle2crayons 01:03 PM 10-03-2013
I put parent pays... But it really depends on where when and how many etc.
sally 01:05 PM 10-03-2013
I do a small home daycare and have had some day trips planned so if the days I plan these on and my dc parents choose to have their kids go they send extra money along for their kids
Michelle 01:22 PM 10-03-2013
I always pay but most of our field trips are free for the kids to get in because I either have an annual group pass or the kids under 3 get in free anyway.

The only time I have asked for money was when I took 12 kids to Disneyland.
They all got in free because I have a parent that works there but I did ask for lunch/dinner money because it is such a hassle coming and going from there that it's just easier to eat there.

All of the other field trips, I bring a picnic lunch or we eat at restaurants.
I like to buy them little inexpensive things from the souvenir shop when I have my dd with me because I don't want them to feel left out.
jenn 01:29 PM 10-03-2013
I don't do field trips anymore. When I did, I would give out a permission slip and include the cost of the trip.

If the parents did not want their child to attend, they were welcome to stay at my house with a sub. (That never happened, but the plan was in place.) A few times we went to plays at a local Children's Theatre and only those 2 and older were welcome.

Most of my families were happy to pay. If a family was willing to let their child go, but was either unwilling or unable to pay, I would cover the cost.

"Next Friday we will be going to the pumpkin patch. All children are welcome to attend. If you would prefer them to stay at my house with our sub, just let me know. The cost is ****per child. If you are able to pay for your child's admission, that would be great. If you are not able to pay at this time, but would still like your child to attend, I will cover their cost."
craftymissbeth 04:12 PM 10-03-2013
Originally Posted by jenn:
I don't do field trips anymore. When I did, I would give out a permission slip and include the cost of the trip.

If the parents did not want their child to attend, they were welcome to stay at my house with a sub. (That never happened, but the plan was in place.) A few times we went to plays at a local Children's Theatre and only those 2 and older were welcome.

Most of my families were happy to pay. If a family was willing to let their child go, but was either unwilling or unable to pay, I would cover the cost.

"Next Friday we will be going to the pumpkin patch. All children are welcome to attend. If you would prefer them to stay at my house with our sub, just let me know. The cost is ****per child. If you are able to pay for your child's admission, that would be great. If you are not able to pay at this time, but would still like your child to attend, I will cover their cost."
Just out of curiosity, do you have very many that take you up on the offer to cover the cost? That's great that you include all children regardless of their parents ability or desire to pay.
kelsey's kids 04:20 PM 10-03-2013
I have a group of 12 plus a fifteen passenger van if I paid for the field trip, gas, helpers ect I wouldn't be able to afford to take the kids anywhere
kitykids3 11:43 AM 10-04-2013
Most of the time I cover the cost because I can only take 5 at a time and I usually get yearly passes for the zoo or Betty Brinn. We are going to go to the pumpkin farm next week and will ask parents for a few dollars each to help cover gas (30 min drive), lunch and the hayride. When parents sign up with me, they are told that we go on outings and sometimes parents have to pay. I also don't have the money to pay an assistant to sit home with someone just because the parent doesn't want their kid to go.
jenn 12:20 PM 10-04-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
Just out of curiosity, do you have very many that take you up on the offer to cover the cost? That's great that you include all children regardless of their parents ability or desire to pay.
I have only had one family do this. They did take me up on my offer to pay, but about a month later added the admission fee to my regular check. They were just really having a hard time financially and appreciated their child getting the opportunity to go.
I used to teach kindergarten, and we would often have parents send back permission slips without money. I hated the kids missing the trips, as they often tied into the lesson plans. Some parents did take advantage of this policy, but it was worth it to me.
Brooksie 01:41 PM 10-04-2013
I'm taking the kids to the pumpkin patch on the 14th. I put it the notice that they needed to provide money for the entrance fee and for a pumpkin. No one had a problem with it. My tuition is for the care I provide, not extras.
Blackcat31 01:46 PM 10-04-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
I'm taking the kids to the pumpkin patch on the 14th. I put it the notice that they needed to provide money for the entrance fee and for a pumpkin. No one had a problem with it. My tuition is for the care I provide, not extras.
So then if a parent chooses not to go on the field trip do they still have to pay for daycare that day?
LaLa1923 03:08 PM 10-04-2013
My PHB says they have to pay for any trips we may take.

I did send out the slips and let everyone know I would be paying for any rides we take, but the $9.25 fee for admission, pumpkin, and hayride was their responsibility.

However, no one had an issue with it. They are all happy that we are going. My parents also said they'd be sending in extra money for rides and anything else.

Brooksie 03:43 PM 10-04-2013
So then if a parent chooses not to go on the field trip do they still have to pay for daycare that day?
Absolutely. The charge for our field trip right now is $5.00 for kids over 2. So really 2/3 of my dcks are free. I gave plenty of notice (1 mo) and its only a half day field trip. So yes, they are required to pay for the day. We will be gone for maybe 2.5 hours tops. Everyone was MORE than willing to pay the extra and they are all very excited for the kids and the fact that as a small FCC I take the initiative to do things like this with the kids while still being conscious of budgets and scheduling of naps and such.
Brooksie 03:44 PM 10-04-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
My PHB says they have to pay for any trips we may take.

I did send out the slips and let everyone know I would be paying for any rides we take, but the $9.25 fee for admission, pumpkin, and hayride was their responsibility.

However, no one had an issue with it. They are all happy that we are going. My parents also said they'd be sending in extra money for rides and anything else.

Yea one of my dcms said she was throwing in extra money for face painting We will see how long that lasts lol
Bookworm 07:52 PM 10-04-2013
The parents in my center pay for all field trips. I try to pick places that are inexpensive or free. They are happy to pay. However, I would never ask a parent to pay for a field trip they don't want their child to participate.
Kaddidle Care 04:55 AM 10-05-2013
I worked in a non-profit center and we had to hire a bus for transportation. That was probably half the cost. We had the parents pay and one Daycare worker was left behind to care for any that wouldn't be going. Seems to me the last trip was $15.00 per child. That paid for the bus, Hayride & Pumpkin from the patch. Around here that's cheaper than the parent taking their child themselves.
Lyss 08:08 AM 10-05-2013
I pay most of the time, but I also am big on memberships so I have one to nearly everywhere we go frequently (zoo, both children's museums, bouncy houses/gym...). When I first started buying memberships I staggered them, like Jan, May, August, Oct... So that I wasn't paying out $$$ for all of them in one month and now I just renew as they come up. I have a small group though and most of my parents send money even if I say I have it covered.

I try to keep field trips under $5 if don't have a membership and I usually pay, but I do have it in my PHB that parents may be responsible for any fees for field trips and they need to have back up care available for the time we will be gone if they don't want their child to participate. Never had a kid not come. I've only charged the parents one time, we went to a local theme park and its 10.50 per kid but I asked parents to pay $5.

Our pumpkin patch costs around $6 just to get in, includes some little activities, but pumpkins, hayrides, and other activities are extra so I usually pay entrance and hayride, if they want DCK to get a pumpkin of their own (I get 2 DC pumpkins) they can send money (pumpkins run $5+). It works well because some of my parents go to the other pumpkin patch with DCKs and get pumpkins on their own so they don't want DCK coming home with another one & I don't want to lug 6-8 pumpkins home
Play Care 05:38 AM 10-06-2013
I put that the DC provider pays because I will only do low or no cost field trips with the kids. When I first started out I had a couple of families who were struggling financially, and there is no way they could have afforded to pay admission fees *and* pay for day care (and at the end of the day, I want to make sure *I* get paid ). Now, if parents were pushing for these trips (or choosing your program over another because you offered them), that would be different.

As for the argument that public schools charge for trips - parents are also not paying tuition to the public school for their child to attend each week.
Blackcat31 07:35 AM 10-06-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:

As for the argument that public schools charge for trips - parents are also not paying tuition to the public school for their child to attend each week.
Schools also provide an option for those children that don't attend the field trip.

That is my issue with requiring parents to pay. I think it's fine if parents have to pay but I think it isn't right that they still have to pay for the day if they don't go on the field trip.

I would never have been ok with my provider transporting my child anywhere so I would not have enrolled in a child care that had field trips that I was not able to opt out of and still had to pay tuition for that day.

As a provider, it is just not something I would feel comfortable doing and as a parent, it wouldn't work for me.

If it works for OP and all her parents are fine with it, cool.
Former Teacher 09:06 AM 10-06-2013
At my former center the parents would pay for all field trips.

During the summer field trips there was an upcharge. For example if we went to the local pool the charge was $3.00 even though it cost $1.50.

I had several confrontations with parents because they didn't want to pay more than cost of admission. I just explained to them that the cost of a field trip was more than admission. It was also the cost of gas, wear and tear on the van, etc. Also we never charged a supply fee so we just added the cost into the summer trips.
Nebula 08:40 PM 10-06-2013
I try to do one free small field trip per month that goes along with our community helper that we introduce every month) For September we went to the police station , and for October we are going to see a fire department. We do our one "BIG" field trip in the fall to the Zoo (during "Z" week) and the parents pay $10. This covers admission and food. During the summer we try to do the free water splash park at least twice a month.... I try to find free field trips whenever possible! I have yet to have a parent complain about paying for their child's field trip.
Tags:poll
Reply Up