Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What's in your newsletter?
NightOwl 02:56 PM 07-08-2014
I'm thinking of starting one, but I'm not sure what to include? I have great communication with my parents already, so I'm wondering if I even need one. Honestly, it just sounds fun.
Blackcat31 03:12 PM 07-08-2014
I only do one with the season change.

Every season requires reminders for sun screen, bug spray or hats and mittens...etc so 4-6 times a year I do a newsletter letting everyone know the upcoming days off, upcoming activities and any other reminders that are fitting for that time period.

Nothing special though...
daycare 03:17 PM 07-08-2014
I do a weekly reminder email becuase we are a very very busy group going here and there and every where.

I only put down what we are doing and when.

I may open it with issues that we are having and then lead into reminders for the week
daycarediva 03:27 PM 07-08-2014
I pmed you.
jenboo 03:34 PM 07-08-2014
I do one the first of every month. I start with a few sentences of what's going on (apply sunscreen before drop off, empty cubbies on Fridays, special event etc)
Then I have dates with reminders (event, deadline, closed). Then I have a section for donations (free stuff like paper towel rolls, old magazines). Then I state our theme and learning goals for the month (right now my oldest is 2.5).
midaycare 04:33 PM 07-08-2014
I have a blog on my website that only parents can access. I write a short paragraph with a picture 3-4 times a week and say what we are doing. If the parents want the info, they can check. If not, that's okay too. I have some parents who live for those posts, and one parent who has never looked at it.
SignMeUp 06:01 PM 07-08-2014
Mine isn't exactly a newsletter. It's weekly calendar with info on what preschool activities we're doing. I publish 4-6 weeks at a time from September to June.
It includes:
Curriculum/Theme title
Letters/numbers/etc. that we're working on
Books we're reading, related to our curriculum
Activities related to curriculum
Lyrics to songs or fingerplays, related to curriculum
Any items parents need to supply
Any parties/events

Each time I publish it, I make each child a laminated name sign, with seasonal or curriculum decor, and clip it to the calendar.

Other than that, I publish notes with holidays & days off, more event notices, special requests.

I've considered going to all email for these items, but the calendars are so cute They are almost worth the work
Annalee 07:14 PM 07-08-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
I'm thinking of starting one, but I'm not sure what to include? I have great communication with my parents already, so I'm wondering if I even need one. Honestly, it just sounds fun.
Our QRIS report card requires newsletters as part of our "parent involvement" component.. we can take it as far up the star level as we want so I do a newsletter monthly....I have different sections in mine for each month entitled Birthdays, Holidays, Child Care Events & Closings, Themes for the month, and Thought for the Month.....That is basically it and I juice it up a little with different fonts and clip art..
NightOwl 04:24 AM 07-09-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I pmed you.
I LOVE your site!
daycarediva 05:25 AM 07-09-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
I LOVE your site!
Thank you!!!
Kimskiddos 06:10 AM 07-09-2014
I do a monthly newsletter (attached). I start with reminders like sunscreen, closings etc. Then usually a photo from the month before, a special days section and then our curriculum plan for the month.

Most of my dcf look forward to the newsletter and I know at least 2 hang them in their offices at work.
Attached: 120nljul14.pdf (579.3 KB) 
Annalee 06:21 AM 07-09-2014
Originally Posted by Kimskiddos:
I do a monthly newsletter (attached). I start with reminders like sunscreen, closings etc. Then usually a photo from the month before, a special days section and then our curriculum plan for the month.

Most of my dcf look forward to the newsletter and I know at least 2 hang them in their offices at work.
I agree with you! When I was taking Early Childhood Classes, the professor emphasized how important newsletters can be for advertisement and to always put the name/number/address on there! I am sure others in the offices have noticed your newsletters and how professional they look.
Kimskiddos 06:52 AM 07-09-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I agree with you! When I was taking Early Childhood Classes, the professor emphasized how important newsletters can be for advertisement and to always put the name/number/address on there! I am sure others in the offices have noticed your newsletters and how professional they look.
Yes they notice. An old dcm that always would hang my newsletter said that my special days section was quite popular in her office and co-workers would check what silly day it was so they could celebrate.
AmyKidsCo 07:31 AM 07-09-2014
I do monthly newsletters also.

I start with a summary of what we'll be learning that month, including a couple of learning concepts, learning activities, ways to continue the learning at home, and a "wish list" of any special items we need.

I follow Love & Logic so next is a Love & Logic article that pertains to young children - with appropriate credit/links to their website.

The middle section is divided into 2 columns: "Important Dates" - holidays, closings, birthdays, etc, and "School News" - anything I want parents to know, like licensing visits, classes I'm taking, etc.

The bottom section is divided into 3 columns: "Green Corner" - I'm certified Eco-Friendly so I put some "green tips" there, "Look at Us" - a photo of all the children with short description of what they're learning, and "Wish List" - a running list of items I'd love to have donated.
jenboo 09:05 AM 07-09-2014
I love all the ideas here!! I'm going to change mine up some!
My3cents 09:53 AM 07-09-2014
I am going to PM you
Reply Up