Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So frustrated... Help Please
Sereetta 04:40 PM 08-20-2014
Over the last two months I've had a new student start almost every week (thank God ) BUT it seems as if everyone has gotten sick in the order the've arrived. It started with Strep Throat and even I got sick... Now my newest infant has a fever and I feel so guilty.

We mop two or three times a day. I lysol religiously, as well as follow the state guidelines in regards to cleaning. What am I not doing? What could I do better.

Help please! I'm closing for a week and reopen Tuesday September 2, 2014. I want to get everything done prior to this date. Suggestions NEEDED!!!!!
daycare 04:46 PM 08-20-2014
Originally Posted by Sereetta:
Over the last two months I've had a new student start almost every week (thank God ) BUT it seems as if everyone has gotten sick in the order the've arrived. It started with Strep Throat and even I got sick... Now my newest infant has a fever and I feel so guilty.

We mop two or three times a day. I lysol religiously, as well as follow the state guidelines in regards to cleaning. What am I not doing? What could I do better.

Help please! I'm closing for a week and reopen Tuesday September 2, 2014. I want to get everything done prior to this date. Suggestions NEEDED!!!!!
IME you can clean until the cows come home.

new kids usually get sick because they are adjusting to new germs. I always tell parents of new enroll to expect it, it's going to happen.

very rare that I have a family that does not get sick when starting.

I would clean as normal, and just try to get as much fresh air was possible.
AmyKidsCo 04:54 PM 08-20-2014
Yup!

The immune system is built up by being used - i.e. getting sick. Children who are around other kids from infancy build up their immune systems young, but children who aren't around other kids until school build it up when they get to school.

Case in point: My 5 yr old granddaughter Libby has been part of my daycare since the day she came home from the hospital (she and her mom lived with us then). My 5 yr old granddaughter Becca has only been in my daycare for the past 2 years, before that she was home with her Mom & Dad. Becca has been sick much more than Libby all along - this last round of illness hit everyone in the daycare (and the older members of family also) but not Libby or me (or my 2 youngest sons who have also been in the daycare since birth).
Laurel 04:57 PM 08-20-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
IME you can clean until the cows come home.

new kids usually get sick because they are adjusting to new germs. I always tell parents of new enroll to expect it, it's going to happen.

very rare that I have a family that does not get sick when starting.

I would clean as normal, and just try to get as much fresh air was possible.

Also, if you provide food, I'd serve orange juice and other vitamin C foods a lot. I used to say that mine weren't as sick as often as other providers' I'd hear about because I'd give them a glass of orange juice each morning.

I know juice is supposedly the 'bad guy' nowadays but I swear by it and oranges and strawberries. Kids really like those little 'Cutie' brand mandarins also.

Laurel
butterfly 05:19 PM 08-20-2014
I would guess it's more due to the stress of starting in a new environment/routine rather than anything to do with your cleaning process.
GoodKarma 06:04 AM 08-21-2014
Also, lots of hand washing! Wash their hands as soon as they get there and then at all the recommended times ( before meals, after potty, etc). Some germs are transmitted through the air, but hand washing helps with the others
Play Care 06:13 AM 08-21-2014
Originally Posted by GoodKarma:
Also, lots of hand washing! Wash their hands as soon as they get there and then at all the recommended times ( before meals, after potty, etc). Some germs are transmitted through the air, but hand washing helps with the others
This! I have an older group and I find the ones who are the most sick always tend to be the ones who are spotty hand washers...
Blackcat31 06:52 AM 08-21-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:

I know juice is supposedly the 'bad guy' nowadays but I swear by it and oranges and strawberries. Kids really like those little 'Cutie' brand mandarins also.

Laurel
I serve a small 3 oz glass of orange juice every morning for snack all through the winter months (cold season here) along with their milk.

Sadly, none of my kids like those Cutie's (I think they are Halo's now).

I tried them several times and none of my kids want them.

My own kids always loved those Vita-C tablets (orange flavored) and would take them through the winter months too.

Not sure how much of it actually helps but I was raised with the idea that Vitamin C is the ultimate cold stopper.
Reply Up