Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Sick Does DCK Have To Be To Stay Home?
Brookenbrandt 12:45 PM 12-30-2014
How sick is too sick to come to daycare? Should they stay home only if they are throwing up or have fever? Coughing and snotting?

I care for twins who are constantly sick. Always have green snot, always coughing and sneezing. It is really getting old. Someone in my family is always sick because of these kids bringing it in.

Is this just a normal thing that us daycare providers will always have to deal with?
Cradle2crayons 12:53 PM 12-30-2014
Originally Posted by Brookenbrandt:
How sick is too sick to come to daycare? Should they stay home only if they are throwing up or have fever? Coughing and snotting?

I care for twins who are constantly sick. Always have green snot, always coughing and sneezing. It is really getting old. Someone in my family is always sick because of these kids bringing it in.

Is this just a normal thing that us daycare providers will always have to deal with?
I exclude for vomiting, diarrhea, fever, lethargy, snot that's off color or out of control, coughing that's uncontrolled etc.
daycare 12:54 PM 12-30-2014

are they well enough to participate as usual?
Brookenbrandt 01:00 PM 12-30-2014
I guess so if you can overlook the fact that they are constantly lethargic and lying around. But they are usually like that and have been since I took them on.
Brookenbrandt 01:01 PM 12-30-2014
I'm sorry, I don't mean to seem like I am dogging on them. It could be worse.
Cradle2crayons 01:02 PM 12-30-2014
I guess so if you can overlook the fact that they are constantly lethargic and lying around. But they are usually like that and have been since I took them on.
I would require a dr visit for any cough or cold that had been going on that long.
Blackcat31 01:04 PM 12-30-2014
I exclude for any symptom that makes it impossible to provide NORMAL care.

I also exclude if the child cannot participate as normal.

ANY time a child has green/yellow nasal discharge, cough or symptom for 5 consecutive days without improvement, I require a Dr visit AND a form filled out by the Dr BEFORE I allow the child to return to care.

If they are cleared of any illnesses, they can return to care.

After 5 more days of symptoms with no improvement, I require another Dr visit.

Rinse and repeat.
Reply Up