Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>5 Year Old In Nap Pull-Ups
MissAnn 11:56 AM 09-14-2017
How many of you have a 5 year old in a pull-up for nap? This girl's pull-up is loaded after nap!
Pestle 12:33 PM 09-14-2017
Is she holding her bladder while she's awake?
Does she take herself to the potty, or does she go at scheduled times--do you know how often and how effectively she's emptying her bladder?
What's her total fluid intake?
When is she taking it in?

At age five and with no known medical issues, if I were the parent I'd have her napping when home in regular underpants with a puppy pad under the sheet and a mattress cover under that, not in a pull-up. Then I'd be sympathetically helping her wash the sheets. . . I'd want her to learn that it's just as unpleasant to wet herself while sleeping as when up and walking around. (I wish my MIL had taught her kid to do laundry at age five. . . or fifteen. . . or any age at all, really.) But you can't control what the parents do at home. Frustrating if they've just let this continue from potty training all the way to today. Have they tried anything other than letting her wet herself in pull-ups?
rosieteddy 12:36 PM 09-14-2017
In all my years 25+ never had a 5 yr old in diaper-pullup.I feel it gives her the ok to wet.She doesn't have the uncomfortable wet clothes ect.Personly I would stop allowing it.I would work with her to control herself.She probably doesn't wet while sleeping but on awakening.The first week I would stop liquids at least 1 hour before nap.Make sure she empties her bladder then nap as usual.Remind that she shouldn't wet.Soon as she is awake into the bathroom.If she can stay dry outside ect this should work.
flying_babyb 12:37 PM 09-14-2017
Raises hand! I worked in a center setting but we had:
1 4 year old in diapers all day (with no training started, turns 5 next week)
3 5 year olds in nap only diapers
1 5 year old in diapers with no progress on training
1 5 year old fully potty trained in a diaper to poop at nap
1 5 year old who asks for a diaper to poop!

We had a mess
storybookending 12:49 PM 09-14-2017
My 5 yr old DCB that I just lost to Kindergarten was in a nap pull-up. He was rarely wet but when I brought the idea of not using it up to mom (In February) she was really not comfortable with it because she didn't want me to have to clean up a mess. He was full time and did end up wetting 3 times between February and the end of August. Two times were when I was gone for appointments and my sub (grandma) was here. The last time I think he was just being lazy and did it when awake after nap but I can't be positive. I guess he's consistently wet at night, his 9 year old brother is as well. 3 year old sister is out of them both as my house and over night.
daycare 12:58 PM 09-14-2017
My oldest son pee the bed until age 9. Doctor did nothing about it. I think it's more normal than most would believe.
Lovisa 12:59 PM 09-14-2017
My own daughter (who is much older now) had to use a pull up for naps and night time until she was almost 6. She was a super deep sleeper and would NOT wake up to pee. Leaving her to soil her bed did NOT help at all. All that did was make her and I get up once or twice a night and have to clean her bed (which sucked). I think all kids are different.
jenboo 12:59 PM 09-14-2017
My brother wore pull ups for sleeping until about 5th grade so I'm always sympathetic if its during sleep. He ended up needing some type of medication.
MissAnn 01:06 PM 09-14-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Is she holding her bladder while she's awake?
Does she take herself to the potty, or does she go at scheduled times--do you know how often and how effectively she's emptying her bladder?
What's her total fluid intake?
When is she taking it in?

At age five and with no known medical issues, if I were the parent I'd have her napping when home in regular underpants with a puppy pad under the sheet and a mattress cover under that, not in a pull-up. Then I'd be sympathetically helping her wash the sheets. . . I'd want her to learn that it's just as unpleasant to wet herself while sleeping as when up and walking around. (I wish my MIL had taught her kid to do laundry at age five. . . or fifteen. . . or any age at all, really.) But you can't control what the parents do at home. Frustrating if they've just let this continue from potty training all the way to today. Have they tried anything other than letting her wet herself in pull-ups?
1. She is perfectly potty and pooped trained while awake and takes care of all bathrooming needs. She can hold it quite awhile.
2. When she potties, she goes a lot......sure she's emptying her bladder.
3. She doesn't drink any more than anyone else.
4. No liquids for about 45 minutes before nap. Goes potty just before nap.

Parents are not worried. She has been through a lot in her life...mainly neglect. She was behind 2 years ago in language skills but totally caught up. She is behind with fine motor skills.
Jupadia 01:12 PM 09-14-2017
My brother wore diapers till age 7 for sleep. He just sleep to deep to wake. I know my mom even tried a medication (no clue what) but it effected his mood. She just ended up stopping the meds and waiting till he learnt to not sleep so deep.
CalCare 01:17 PM 09-14-2017
Yeah, my DS is going to be five in 2 months. He sleeps like a log and will pee in his sleep. He doesn't nap, but wears pull ups at night. He perfectly uses the toilet when awake. And has for a couple of years. I much prefer the situation of my heavy sleeper/ sometimes pee-er to my light sleeper son who wakes up crying for me basically every night and never wets the bed!
daycare 01:47 PM 09-14-2017
Originally Posted by CalCare:
Yeah, my DS is going to be five in 2 months. He sleeps like a log and will pee in his sleep. He doesn't nap, but wears pull ups at night. He perfectly uses the toilet when awake. And has for a couple of years. I much prefer the situation of my heavy sleeper/ sometimes pee-er to my light sleeper son who wakes up crying for me basically every night and never wets the bed!
This was my son until age 9.
daycarediva 01:50 PM 09-14-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
My oldest son pee the bed until age 9. Doctor did nothing about it. I think it's more normal than most would believe.
Yes, same with my DS. Almost ten. We tried the DDAVP and everything. Waking, alarms, etc.

If she is perfectly trained otherwise, she is a bedwetter and other than bringing her to the potty before rest there is nothing else you can do besides allow her time to outgrow it.
hwichlaz 03:08 PM 09-14-2017
My ex wet the bed frequently, not nightly, until he was 12 years old. It was because he was a REALLY heavy sleeper. You could NOT wake him up without shaking him.
Ariana 06:02 PM 09-14-2017
Holding urine during unconsciousness is not always achieved at the same time for every child so it is perfectly normal in my opinion.

I would make sure she uses the bathroom before she goes for nap though because she might just be urinating before she falls asleep. My own daughter was potty trained at 3 but we thought she needed a pullup at night because we thought she was waking uo wet. Turns out she was just too lazy to get up in the morning to pee and would just go in the diaper. We caught on and never put her in one after that, no accidents.

My nearly 5 year old still poops in her pullup. I give her a pullup only at night so that is the only opportunity she has to poop and she will hold it until then. If we take the pullups away she holds it and I do not want to deal with constipation and impacted feces (saw it at daycare and it was terrible). We have tried EVERY trick in the book to no avail. Some parents have said their kids just started pooping in the toilet at 5 so we are hoping, otherwise I have no clue what I am going to do!
MissAnn 04:08 AM 09-15-2017
Thanks all. Good to know it's not uncommon. I might try putting her down in panties with a vinyl tablecloth under her mat. If that doesn't work, I won't worry about it. I did suggest she ask her pediatrician. She didn't seem worried, so I don't think that will happen. The girl has been through a lot, so it could be emotional reasons.
Jupadia 06:54 AM 09-15-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:

My nearly 5 year old still poops in her pullup. I give her a pullup only at night so that is the only opportunity she has to poop and she will hold it until then. If we take the pullups away she holds it and I do not want to deal with constipation and impacted feces (saw it at daycare and it was terrible). We have tried EVERY trick in the book to no avail. Some parents have said their kids just started pooping in the toilet at 5 so we are hoping, otherwise I have no clue what I am going to do!
My 4.5 also has trouble with pooping in the potty. I would give almost anything to have him go in a pull up daily. Instead he has to be made to sit a least a couple times per day (which is harder now he started school) other wise he will hold it for week and then start having poop acidents. (Since his body can't hold it anymore at that point). Also have tried every trick.
Leigh 07:12 AM 09-15-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
It is. At age 5, 20% of kids (according to data I have read) are not completely "night trained". There are several, legitimate physical reasons for this, including a few sleep disorders and bladder issues. This data also said that up to 3% of 15 year olds are not capable of getting through the night without wetting!

Nighttime enuresis is a familial condition, too. If both parents had it, a child has a 75% chance of experiencing it. If one parent, a 50% chance. If neither parent, still a 15% chance.

If they need the pull up for nap, I just put it on them. I'd much rather put them in a pull up than have them wet their clothing or my cots/carpet!
Ariana 10:41 AM 09-15-2017
Originally Posted by Jupadia:
My 4.5 also has trouble with pooping in the potty. I would give almost anything to have him go in a pull up daily. Instead he has to be made to sit a least a couple times per day (which is harder now he started school) other wise he will hold it for week and then start having poop acidents. (Since his body can't hold it anymore at that point). Also have tried every trick.
It is so frustrating and no idea why she is doing it! I know how you feel, hopefully they will just get it one day
hwichlaz 12:00 PM 09-15-2017
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Thanks all. Good to know it's not uncommon. I might try putting her down in panties with a vinyl tablecloth under her mat. If that doesn't work, I won't worry about it. I did suggest she ask her pediatrician. She didn't seem worried, so I don't think that will happen. The girl has been through a lot, so it could be emotional reasons.
Pediatrician's won't bat an eye until they are about 7 and still doing it. I've tried with my own kids.
hwichlaz 12:03 PM 09-15-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Holding urine during unconsciousness is not always achieved at the same time for every child so it is perfectly normal in my opinion.

I would make sure she uses the bathroom before she goes for nap though because she might just be urinating before she falls asleep. My own daughter was potty trained at 3 but we thought she needed a pullup at night because we thought she was waking uo wet. Turns out she was just too lazy to get up in the morning to pee and would just go in the diaper. We caught on and never put her in one after that, no accidents.

Little one here was like that...so they did daily laxatives until he had no choice but to go...after he was going on the toilet daily they weaned him off of them. This was under the care of a doctor of course.
Reply Up