Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do With A 1 Year Old Who Won't Sleep
sahm2three 01:59 PM 05-23-2012
She doesn't sleep at all. She still very much NEEDS a nap, actually two good ones, but we are lucky if we can keep her quiet, let alone sleep! I just can't imagine a 1 year old not sleeping! It is pretty rough when she is up because she is mean to her friends, and walks around whining. I need this week to be over. I need a 3 day weekend so so much!
countrymom 02:09 PM 05-23-2012
time for cio. whats her sleeping habits at home. I bet you they don't nap her because they want her to go to sleep early.
SunshineMama 02:16 PM 05-23-2012
CIO or term. No way I would provide all day care to a 1 year old who doesn't nap. You're going to burn out soon. How long have you had her?
cheerfuldom 02:17 PM 05-23-2012
nap her as soon as she gets to daycare. a separate, darkened room with white noise of some sort. 2 hours in the morning, 2 hours in the early afternoon. Peek in on her but not to where she can see you. Make the room and the whole naptime extremely boring with no stimulation and let her CIO if need be.
Blackcat31 02:18 PM 05-23-2012
Is this your own child or a dck?

I think at that age, you can simply put her in the crib and close the door. Of course check on her periodically but you really can't MAKE her sleep so she needs to learn on her own how to fall asleep and stay asleep.

I had a dcg around that same age, who didn't want to sleep ever either. Finally mom said, "Look she needs a 2 hour nap. period. Put her in the crib, close the door and don't let her out again until 2 hours have passed."

So first day, she screamed and cried and maybe (I'm guessing here) had about 5-10 minutes of actual sleep, second day she screamed and cried but slept for almost 30 minutes. By the end of the first week, she was going to sleep but would wake (and whine...sometimes cry) for about 10 minutes but then would go back to sleep.

By the end of the second week, she went to seelp within 5 minutes of putting her in there and slept the entire 2 hours.

Mom basically told me that she would do what she could (provide the time and space) for child to sleep and the rest was up to her (the child) and expected me to do the same. So we (the adults) decided her nap time would be *** time until *** time and just put the child in the crib during those times and didn't let her up/out until nap time was over. Eventually the child "got it" and became a wonderful napper.

Nap issues are the worst so hang in there.....
sahm2three 05:00 PM 05-23-2012
I have had her since she was 2 months old. She has never slept for long periods of time. We tried to cut her down to just one nap, but she is a bear and non stop crying by 10:30. She does go down by 7:30 in the morning and we always make sure she is up by 9:30 at the latest, but like I said, she does not sleep. We hear here go from talking to crying the entire nap time. Same thing with the afternoon. She knows our routine and at 18 months should know the routine. They say they try to keep her in our same routine at home, but they also want to cut her down to one nap so she might sleep all night. I told them she is most likely over tired and unable to sleep all night because she refuses to sleep at all during the day. We have a video monitor, so we try to not go into the room unless she is really crying (in case of a poop). I am just worn out. I need this week to be over. We have had the naughtiest behavior this week, and it is just so tiring!
Tags:won't sleep
Reply Up