Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>That One Space You Can't Seem To Fill
SilverSabre25 06:33 AM 06-27-2011
Am I the only one who has this phenomenon?

A year ago this past May, my first daycare family left (once dcg turned 1 they wanted her getting "an education ). Ever since then, I've had one daycare spot that seems to be cursed, cursed, I tell you!

It was empty until August when I filled it with a 2.5 year old who was here for six weeks full-time, dropped down to one day a week, showed up once for that, and then I never saw or heard from the family again.

Filled the spot again in December with a family that only stayed until February (and quit with no notice).

Filled the spot again with a family that stayed until April and quit with no notice.

Filled the spot again with a family that came for two weeks and then quit...with no notice (at least this one I saw coming because they wanted someone to charge them only for the days they use).

So now here I am again in search of a family to fill this daycare spot. *sigh* I hate the interview process and daycare families are hard to find in my area right now. All my other families are wonderful blessings...it's just this one spot I can't seem to fill with a good, long-term family.
Cat Herder 06:54 AM 06-27-2011
Have you ever done a "Looking for that one special child to complete our small group" type ad??

It worked for me many times in the past... I worked it from the angle that my kids are paired up by age mates for special activities and we would love to have someone a particular age..

I get calls from folks whose kids are in a group and are often the odd man out. Many times the other provider is grateful since it solved their constant drama and I send all the other calls over to her for 12 months.

We work together a bit, here to get the best groups together. Sometimes I start by calling them first, I sent one of mine to another last year for a better fit/ she is a piano teacher who likes teaching 4yo's . I am into natural science and like working with youngers, YKWIM?

I know many don't like to do it that way (if one leaves/moves it can be a mourning process for the other child), but in a small town where everyone knows each other, and with little to no child turnover, it has worked well for me.

I, personally, like to have 2 of each age group so they have a partner... It works for me.
jojosmommy 10:25 AM 06-27-2011
I have had the same issue. I feel like as soon as I get settled with the group (and can stop interviewing/placing ads) someone drops or turns into the type of client you don't want at your house anyway.

I don't have suggestions, just wanted to say I too have been doing the same thing- since March of last year so 15 months-.
SilverSabre25 02:01 PM 06-27-2011
Thanks for the suggestion catherder; I worded my ad that way today. We'll have to see...it takes me a long time to fill spaces right now because of the overabundance of cheap providers in the area.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this issue jojosmommy!
Tags:advertisement, filling spots
Reply Up