Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Radon Testing?
Controlled Chaos 03:33 PM 12-14-2015
I just had a family ask if I have Radon tested? Do you have any experience with this? I have never heard of it I know we tested for lead paint... The family said it costs around $100, and is the 2nd leading cause of lung cancer behind smoking! I will pay for it myself if I need to get it done, as it effects my children primarily, and I can write it off. Apparently a family in the area I live in died from Radon poising recently
Pepperth 03:59 PM 12-14-2015
I had to do it to become licensed. I don't remember the cost, but you can buy the test at your local hardware store and then you send it in to a lab for the results. It was super easy.
LysesKids 04:00 PM 12-14-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I just had a family ask if I have Radon tested? Do you have any experience with this? I have never heard of it I know we tested for lead paint... The family said it costs around $100, and is the 2nd leading cause of lung cancer behind smoking! I will pay for it myself if I need to get it done, as it effects my children primarily, and I can write it off. Apparently a family in the area I live in died from Radon poising recently
I had to do it to be endorsed as Eco Healthy... I bought a DYI test for under $30 online (the Alpha test is a longer test compared to the 3-7 day air version);it includes mailing & analysis. Your house is more likely to hold gases in if it's newer or been remodeled compared to older homes. The test I got isn't accepted in a few states inc NJ
Ariana 04:50 PM 12-14-2015
I bought the machine at Home Depot for around $130 I think it was. Radon is pretty common in my area and with my own children being in my basement in my previous home I was worried. We got a negative reading thankfully.

You can also buy kits at Home Depot and send it away for a lot cheaper.
Controlled Chaos 05:10 PM 12-14-2015
I may buy the monitor if its only $100 ish. After some research it turns out it is common in our area. So scary! Turns out the house was tested when we bought it a year ago, but I would like to check regularly.

Thanks for the responses!
Play Care 03:09 AM 12-15-2015
IIRC, I was given a free test kit from our County's cooperative extension? Radon is an issue here. I seem to recall them saying that even if one test comes out clear you should test every few years.
Second Home 03:45 AM 12-15-2015
We have high radon in the area . If you do have high levels ( which can change from time to time ) you will need to have a system put in to clear it from the air inside your home . This can cost up to $1k depending on what type of system they have to put in .

We put one in our other house when we sold it , they were able to use the sub pump hole to run pipes and then vent it through the house wall and up towards the roof . I believe that was about $800.

We do have the testing unit and we check a few times a year for radon . We did put in a house unit in when we moved in though as the pipes were already in place , we just had to get the motor .
DaveA 04:33 AM 12-15-2015
We have to do one as a license requirement. Like the others said, any hardware store should have the test kit.
284878 06:24 PM 12-15-2015
I got mine at the county health department. The cost was $10 or a can of food for the food drive. The county /state paid for the testing. Check with your health department first.
Reply Up