Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Popping Popcorn And Our New Kitchen
melskids 11:19 AM 04-03-2011
the other day one of my kiddos asked for more batteries so they could pop popcorn in our little tykes kitchen. (the button makes the sound) so i said, "well why dont you just pretend and use you voice to make the popping sound." a lightbulb went off over her head, like "wow, i didnt think of that!" it prompted ME to think about the lack of imagination in todays battery operated toys. so i went to home depot and bought some cheap wood, and built my own yesterday. it isnt perfect, but i'm hoping it will stimulate their imaginations a little more....
melskids 11:28 AM 04-03-2011
001.jpg

003.jpg
Attached:
Abigail 01:13 PM 04-03-2011
That is so cute! Did you built the entire thing? What a great idea to use handles for the knobs.
melskids 01:24 PM 04-03-2011
yeah. i built the whole thing. its not square, or plumb, or whatever you call it. its sooo not perfect...lol

the "faucet" is a jump rope handle, i think..lol the stove knobs are wheels off of a wood train that was broken. the sink is a wood candle holder, and the burners are cork coasters that you put under houseplants. talk about recycling!!!!
momatheart 02:37 PM 04-03-2011
And you wanted to spark creativity in the children. Good job!
KEG123 03:59 PM 04-03-2011
Wow that looks GREAT!
youretooloud 04:26 PM 04-03-2011
I think that's amazing!!! I am very impressed.
momatheart 04:58 PM 04-03-2011
Originally Posted by momatheart:
And you wanted to spark creativity in the children. Good job!
What I meant here was you sparked creativity in yourself as well.
PitterPatter 05:11 PM 04-03-2011
Wow that's a great job!! Want to make 1 for me? lol
melskids 03:11 AM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by momatheart:
What I meant here was you sparked creativity in yourself as well.
i figured thats what you meant you know, growing up, my mother refused to spend the money on a plastic kitchen for me. she had me turn my hamper on its side (so the top would make an oven door) and i put construction paper circles for burners and a bowl as a sink. now that i look back, i believe its her cheapness, (err, frugalness) that made me the creative artsy person i am today.

Originally Posted by Tygerluv:
Wow that's a great job!! Want to make 1 for me? lol
it seriuosly took me less then an hour!!! i had the guy at home depot make all the cuts for me, so i literally came home and nailed it all together. the boards weren't all even, so there are some gaps, and one of the boards was seriously warped, but i guess thats what will give it character. lol
mac60 04:05 AM 04-04-2011
Wow, that is very nice. It will long outlast a plastic one. Great creativity complete with storage.
MG&Lsmom 04:08 AM 04-04-2011
wow! That's snazzy! Great job!
Tags:play kitchen, popcorn
Reply Up