Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ratio School Age
Unregistered 01:46 PM 12-20-2019
I am in NY. I will be homeschooling my kindergartener. Is he still considered school age or is he now counted in ratio? I cant fond it specifically in the regulations.
Cat Herder 02:10 PM 12-20-2019
"One caregiver may care for a maximum of six children younger than school age, or eight children when at least two of the eight children are school aged."

It sounds like you would still be limited to 6, total, kids because only one would be school age.

It seems the default is always the lower number.
Unregistered 03:06 PM 12-20-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
"One caregiver may care for a maximum of six children younger than school age, or eight children when at least two of the eight children are school aged."

It sounds like you would still be limited to 6, total, kids because only one would be school age.

This does not answer my question though. I am licensed for 12. 4 are under 2, 8 are over 2, I can have 4 school age. Is the definition of school age enrolled in a public institution or is enrolled in homeschool kindergarten considered enrolled in kindergarten?
e.j. 05:03 PM 12-20-2019
"Provider's Own Children Counted: Yes, if not yet enrolled in kindergarten or higher grade."

My guess would be he would be counted in your ratios since he's still being supervised by you and isn't at an off-sight school during day care hours. Your best bet would be to contact your licensor to double check the regulation, though, if you have any doubt.
Unregistered 05:04 PM 12-20-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This does not answer my question though. I am licensed for 12. 4 are under 2, 8 are over 2, I can have 4 school age. Is the definition of school age enrolled in a public institution or is enrolled in homeschool kindergarten considered enrolled in kindergarten?
5yo, which is inrolled and starts the kindergarten program counted as a SA kid.
Just remember that with your number of kids, you must have an assistant. You cannot work alone.
Unregistered 05:07 PM 12-20-2019

If she works alone she will be able to have 7 kids (6 under 5yo |only 2 of them can be under 2yo| +her own SA child)
Unregistered 05:09 PM 12-20-2019

If she works alone she will be able to have 8 kids (6 under 5yo |only 2 of them can be under 2yo| +her own SA child+ 1 extra SA kid)
Unregistered 10:59 AM 12-21-2019
I do have an assistant. Right now my kid does not count at all in ratio. If he is homeschooled fors he count as school age, in my not school age ratio or not counted?

I can not get ahold of my licensor. He is never in the office and does not return email or calls. I'm not satisfied with the other licensors either because they never have an answer and always give me a hard time. I am waiting to heR back still.
Tags:new york - requirements
Reply Up