Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fever today from beach yesterday?
AuntTami 09:24 AM 07-31-2015
One of my little guys has a fever of 102.3. Mom is on her way to get him but I know he was at the beach all day yesterday. Is it possible the fever is from the sun yesterday?

She's coming to get him either way, but he's acting fine and has been eating and drinking fine all day. He's playing with everyone just fine. Not crabby or anything. But he's going home due to the fever, obviously.

But I was just wondering if it's possible, or if I need to start preparing for a round of illness to sweep through?
Blackcat31 09:34 AM 07-31-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
One of my little guys has a fever of 102.3. Mom is on her way to get him but I know he was at the beach all day yesterday. Is it possible the fever is from the sun yesterday?

She's coming to get him either way, but he's acting fine and has been eating and drinking fine all day. He's playing with everyone just fine. Not crabby or anything. But he's going home due to the fever, obviously.

But I was just wondering if it's possible, or if I need to start preparing for a round of illness to sweep through?
...never in my life heard of the sun causing a fever.

The child may have heat stroke but that doesn't usually appear the next day without symptoms the day before.

Kids get fevers for all sorts of things. I just sent a little one home Wednesday. HAPPY, normal behavior all day until 2:00. Fever of 102.6F

Double ear infection. NO other symptoms other than the fever.

FF to today and child is seeing Dr again as they are having an allergic reaction to the meds given for ear infection.
Thriftylady 09:39 AM 07-31-2015
I had a heat stroke once as a kid, and didn't have any symptoms until the next day. One of them was a high fever. But I had other symptoms also.
AuntTami 10:50 AM 07-31-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I had a heat stroke once as a kid, and didn't have any symptoms until the next day. One of them was a high fever. But I had other symptoms also.
That's kinda what I was wondering. I remember having it as a young child but it was the same day and I was MISERABLE!

She didn't say it was from the sun, it was just a thought. I know heat stroke or heat exhaustion can really take a toll on a person, but I figured he would have been miserable too.

Either way, mom said when she picked up that he has a doctor appointment at 3:30 so we'll see what dr says.

It just made me scratch my head. Usually when this kid is sick, he's ridiculously crabby and whiny. He's barely 2 but hardly gets sick. But when he does, it's BAD! Which is why the fever was so odd for him!
Baby Beluga 01:05 PM 07-31-2015
I bet it's an ear infection - did he by any chance swim in the ocean or play in it in a way where water could have been trapped in his ear? Just thinking out loud.

I have had heat stroke before, I remember feeling ridiculously cranky and tired and then later that night I got a fever and started throwing up.

Either way, hope the little man feels better!
momofboys 01:50 PM 07-31-2015
A few years ago I had a miserable fever & felt absolutely horrid after too much time in the sun. I was exhausted & had to sleep. If the child has a fever due to heat stroke or whatever they still should be home, not at daycare.
AuntTami 01:52 PM 07-31-2015
Originally Posted by momofboys:
A few years ago I had a miserable fever & felt absolutely horrid after too much time in the sun. I was exhausted & had to sleep. If the child has a fever due to heat stroke or whatever they still should be home, not at daycare.
As I mentioned in my first post, he went home! He left about 10'minures after my first post. He didn't have a fever at 5:30 this morning at drop off.

We live in Wisconsin, so no oceans around here. But it's very possible he got lake water in his ears. Waiting to hear from mom
Thriftylady 05:34 PM 07-31-2015
Lake and pond water maybe even ocean water (not sure I don't live near one) are huge causes of ear infections.
Reply Up