Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infants Can't Sleep in Strollers Outside?
Jus-clus 03:02 AM 11-06-2015
Feeling frustrated. I work in a daycare in CT. Just been told we can no longer allow infants to sleep in a stroller, so when a baby falls asleep when we are outside we now have to IMMEDIATELY come inside and put the sleeping infant in its crib. Of course that means the others have to come in too because one teacher can't be outside alone, so if no other classes are out we all have to come in. Also we have to keep ratios correct so even if another class is outside I have to bring 2 others in too. (Group of 6/2teachers). I have a 3 month old who always falls asleep outside, and an older infant who's nap time is when we go out. I am told it is CT state guidelines which state that an infant may not be put to sleep in a stroller or car seat etc. it seems insane that we can't spend time outside anymore, we all need the fresh air. Does anyone know if this is correct?
Blackcat31 05:38 AM 11-06-2015
Originally Posted by Jus-clus:
Feeling frustrated. I work in a daycare in CT. Just been told we can no longer allow infants to sleep in a stroller, so when a baby falls asleep when we are outside we now have to IMMEDIATELY come inside and put the sleeping infant in its crib. Of course that means the others have to come in too because one teacher can't be outside alone, so if no other classes are out we all have to come in. Also we have to keep ratios correct so even if another class is outside I have to bring 2 others in too. (Group of 6/2teachers). I have a 3 month old who always falls asleep outside, and an older infant who's nap time is when we go out. I am told it is CT state guidelines which state that an infant may not be put to sleep in a stroller or car seat etc. it seems insane that we can't spend time outside anymore, we all need the fresh air. Does anyone know if this is correct?
I am pretty sure most state's have adopted the same safe sleep practices or at least very similar ones.

The way I get around having to come in is to either have a PNP outside for infants to sleep in or hold them.

My state regulations say infants must sleep in an approved crib or PNP and no car seats, swings or bouncy seats etc. We CAN however hold them while they sleep.

A lot of licensor's have said that babies can't be held when sleeping but when challenged to show the written rule stating that, they relented and admitted that there is no written rule saying we can't hold them.

If I were you, I'd actually question licensing about the same scenario you posted above in regards to what you should do in that situation.
Leigh 06:18 AM 11-06-2015
I set up a pack n play outdoors, too. It's good policy not to let them sleep in a stroller.
Ariana 06:59 AM 11-06-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I set up a pack n play outdoors, too. It's good policy not to let them sleep in a stroller.
I would do this too. They just need to be laid flat while asleep so the airways are not obstructed.
daycarediva 09:04 AM 11-06-2015
Positional asphyxiation. Bring a pack and play outside.
MarinaVanessa 09:48 AM 11-06-2015
I use a small pack n play too.
Fiddlesticks 09:48 AM 11-06-2015
We cannot allow infants to sleep in a stroller, either. I asked my licensor what should I do if the infant falls asleep while we are on a walk and she said wake the infant. I don't take walks with infants anymore.
284878 05:36 AM 11-07-2015
Ugh I know it is a catch 22. We can not hold a sleeping baby either. We must use a crib or pack n play or play yard but not a playpen. We must not share bedding and bedding must be washed weekly. It is a requirement to go outside. So I have to create my schedule around the baby sleeping. Of course each baby has a different pattern so my schedule is ever changing. Just added a baby, so things are changing again. (the main structure part stays the same, just shifted a few minutes here or there)

I would recommend having a brainstorming meeting with the other teachers. Toss around an ideas on ways to work together, following the rules keeping the kids safe, while still getting fresh air.
Jus-clus 06:18 AM 11-07-2015
Appreciate the suggestions. Maybe the pack and play would work, but just the thought of having to get a PNP (or two....) outside as well as the babies makes me sigh! I need a few extra pairs of arms!
As for "wake the sleeping infant" - ha! So not happening!
Adjusting schedule is hard because we share the outside area with other classes, but yesterday we switched times with the toddler group, and that worked out ok. Not sure how often we will have that flexibility......
Ariana 12:00 PM 11-07-2015
Appreciate the suggestions. Maybe the pack and play would work, but just the thought of having to get a PNP (or two....) outside as well as the babies makes me sigh! I need a few extra pairs of arms!
Adjusting schedule is hard because we share the outside area with other classes, but yesterday we switched times with the toddler group, and that worked out ok. Not sure how often we will have that flexibility......
Maybe there is some way you could keep them set up under a tarp or something so you don't have to set them up each time? Might be a good idea to get some second hand ones just for the outdoor area.
kitykids3 05:47 PM 11-08-2015
So in CT, you can't have a baby sleeping inside with a monitor?
momofboys 06:08 PM 11-08-2015
I understand the reasoning for the rule but my question would be don't most strollers for young babies have a flat position so you can adjust it so the baby is lying flat? Would this be sufficient?
Play Care 03:05 AM 11-09-2015
Originally Posted by kitykids3:
So in CT, you can't have a baby sleeping inside with a monitor?
I'm in NY and we are an "everyone in, everyone out" state.
It's why I don't really take infants and when I do work very hard to get them on to a set schedule.
Unregistered 04:48 AM 11-09-2015
Originally Posted by momofboys:
I understand the reasoning for the rule but my question would be don't most strollers for young babies have a flat position so you can adjust it so the baby is lying flat? Would this be sufficient?
I thought the same thing about basic Moses baskets since they're so portable. Maybe they don't trust the different interpretations and positions of so many other pieces of equipment, so they restricted it to two?
Unregistered 02:07 PM 11-09-2015
I have one I leave outside.
Jus-clus 02:28 PM 11-10-2015
We are going to see about getting a waterproof storage bin/shed to keep a pack and play or two in. Seems to be the best option. Definitely not allowed to use a monitor, and were told even fully reclined strollers are not acceptable. I think something must have happened......😕
Tags:crib, infant, sleeping, stroller
Reply Up