Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Ever Let DCP's Borrow Your Things?
SunshineMama 05:16 AM 02-29-2012
Last night, dcm was stuck at work, so she had a friend come to pick up dbc. She asked if she could borrow one of my car seats because her friend did not have one. Of course, I said yes, I would not knowingly let a child leave without a car seat. The friend said I would have it today.

DCM shows up 45 minutes late today, (no call/text) without the car seat, and tells me that she will bring it tomorrow. I was planning on taking the kids to this awesome recreation outlet place for free play since it's so rainy and stormy here this morning. Well, that's a bust, since now I don't have enough car seats.

Would you have let a DCP borrow your extra car seat? THIS is what I get for trying to be courteous and nice... stuck in the house on a rainy day
Meyou 05:18 AM 02-29-2012
I would let her borrow it but I would have also made her go back and get it this morning.
SunshineMama 05:19 AM 02-29-2012
And to add to it, dcb is the ONLY child coming today, other than my 2 own children. smh...

I wish I had that clause in my contract that if you are more than 15 late I can't guarantee I will be here. I just updated the contract last month so I dont feel like I can do it again.

On the positive side, DH will find out the offer that the company he has been interviewing with will make to him. Praying that it's enough for me to be able to afford a backbone!
SunshineMama 05:21 AM 02-29-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I would let her borrow it but I would have also made her go back and get it this morning.
Its in her friends car, so she would have to track her friend down, drive over to get it, and then come back.

I think that a backbone develops the more you get stepped on by other people. I have not hit that point yet but I know if I stay in this business long enough it will only get bigger. What happened to common courtesy these days?
Sunchimes 05:56 AM 02-29-2012
I have sent home sippy cups when they had somewhere to go and needed one. I would never send home a car seat. It takes me half a day to get those stupid things hooked back up again. And of course, shoes and clothes go home regularly.
Daycare Diva 05:57 AM 02-29-2012
Now her problem has become your problem. In the future I would either say no or have the parent agree to bring it back on time no exceptions.
cheerfuldom 06:01 AM 02-29-2012
would not have lent a car seat, period. I would have watched the child till mom came and then charged her extra.
laundrymom 06:02 AM 02-29-2012
No. Period. Also, if I have to work late because you are late, I get paid extra
nannyde 06:03 AM 02-29-2012
No way would I loan a car seat. Too much liability.
Zoe 06:10 AM 02-29-2012
I would have loaned it but would have STRESSED that it NEEDS to be brought back the next day because we are going somewhere fun and if it isn't brought back, she will have to go find one or replace it before I take care of dcb.
countrymom 06:13 AM 02-29-2012
yes, but I have other carseats too. I've never had a problem except with one family, but I should have known better, lets just say I had to clean the carseat.
JenNJ 06:26 AM 02-29-2012
No way would I loan a car seat. Too much of a risk for me! But you did, so call mom and say it needs to come back by pickup tonight.
SunshineMama 06:32 AM 02-29-2012
For those of you talking about risk and liability-

Am I liable for lending a car seat if something happens (accident, etc), if I did not carry it out of my house or install it in their car?

I am pretty sure I would be liable if I let the child out of the house knowing that they did not have a proper restraint system.

DCM ended up not leaving work until 9pm last night, and I know that they wouldn't be able to afford paying me per hour for the 4 hours extra he would have been here. But you are right, her problem is now my problem

It is so frustrating to be put in an uncomfortable position, try to do the nice, decent thing, and then be the one who is the loser in the end of it all. I am learning in this business that common courtesys and common decency is only common if you are the one doing it- it is almost never reciprocated.
JenNJ 06:36 AM 02-29-2012
Yes, you could be held liable. I would have made friend purchase a seat or borrow elsewhere.
SunshineMama 06:40 AM 02-29-2012
Next time she asks I will just have to say no then. It isn't worth the liability. Or the stress, for that matter.
Blackcat31 07:02 AM 02-29-2012
For those of you that say the OP could be held liable, I know for a fact that when the parent leaves my property I am no longer liable for anything that happens.

I am not understanding how the provider could be liable for something we have NO control over I mean it isn't like I go outside and check to see that parents have their children buckled in properly or are even in a car seat.

Also to the OP, in the future, if you are going to lend out things like car seats I would make rules such as a deposit of say $50 and state it needs to be returned first thing in the morning or you lose the deposit.
I might even go so far as charging the parent for NOT returning it.

I would also have the parent sign a statement agreeing to this. (like a mini contract).

I, personally would NEVER lend a car seat out to a parent. As a PP'er said, now her problem is your problem.
familyschoolcare 07:07 AM 02-29-2012
car seat liablity is why I have parent supply a care seat I have loaned parents thier car seat back have never had a problem getting it back
Lilbutterflie 07:11 AM 02-29-2012
I have let DCPs borrow things like books and blankets before; and I have not ONCE gotten them back in return. Therefore; I do not let any of my belongings out of this house any more.

In regards to the car seat issue. I actually require the parents to supply an extra car seat for their child to be kept here. I have had it come up in the past that they needed to use the seat they provided to bring the kids home. I let them borrow it... because it's theirs!! But I do stress that it needs to be returned the next day, and if they don't bring it I make them go back and get it. It's never been an issue before.
JenNJ 07:18 AM 02-29-2012
Well, the carseat could malfunction. If that happens they will ask about the history of the carseat. They will look to the owner of the seat and try and find out possible causes of malfunction -- was it in an accident, is it expired, was it stored properly when not in use, was the seat ever damaged by misuse or improper installation, was it inspected for cracking or warping recently, was it properly maintained and assembled. The possibilities really are endless.

That will come back to the car seat owner.
kathiemarie 07:34 AM 02-29-2012
Why didn't you ask her to leave her car seat for the day? That is what I would have done. Oh, yes I have lent carseat to parents but I have a quite of few extras.
sharlan 07:50 AM 02-29-2012
I've loaned former families carseats, jackets, nebulizer, even my van and tent trailer.

I've never had a problem with things being returned.
bice99 07:56 AM 02-29-2012
I was an elementary school teacher prior to opening my DC. I had a tiny first grader whose Romanian mom picked her up everyday - big van, 4 other little kids, no carseats that I could see. I asked our union rep about reporting it b/c our principal said I didn't need to. Turns out that if I let them leave the school grounds without making at call (DHS or police) and they get in an accident, I can personally be held liable - not the school district, me! I could lose everything because of the choices this mama was making. It's part of being a mandatory reporter. So that day I called DHS. The next day it was the police.

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
For those of you that say the OP could be held liable, I know for a fact that when the parent leaves my property I am no longer liable for anything that happens.

I am not understanding how the provider could be liable for something we have NO control over I mean it isn't like I go outside and check to see that parents have their children buckled in properly or are even in a car seat.

Also to the OP, in the future, if you are going to lend out things like car seats I would make rules such as a deposit of say $50 and state it needs to be returned first thing in the morning or you lose the deposit.
I might even go so far as charging the parent for NOT returning it.

I would also have the parent sign a statement agreeing to this. (like a mini contract).

I, personally would NEVER lend a car seat out to a parent. As a PP'er said, now her problem is your problem.

daycare 08:01 AM 02-29-2012
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
Well, the carseat could malfunction. If that happens they will ask about the history of the carseat. They will look to the owner of the seat and try and find out possible causes of malfunction -- was it in an accident, is it expired, was it stored properly when not in use, was the seat ever damaged by misuse or improper installation, was it inspected for cracking or warping recently, was it properly maintained and assembled. The possibilities really are endless.

THis is true.....

ANYTHING YOU give them that they leave the house with could come back on you....
Blackcat31 08:08 AM 02-29-2012
Originally Posted by bice99:
I was an elementary school teacher prior to opening my DC. I had a tiny first grader whose Romanian mom picked her up everyday - big van, 4 other little kids, no carseats that I could see. I asked our union rep about reporting it b/c our principal said I didn't need to. Turns out that if I let them leave the school grounds without making at call (DHS or police) and they get in an accident, I can personally be held liable - not the school district, me! I could lose everything because of the choices this mama was making. It's part of being a mandatory reporter. So that day I called DHS. The next day it was the police.
Oh, I get that part of it but what I am not understanding is how anyone can think that daycare providers are responsible for things parents choose to do or not do once they leave my property.

I don't allow car seats to be left on my property and I do not have or borrow out seats I also do NOT transport children. EVER.

If I KNEW a parent did not have a car seat, I would absolutely report it just as I would if I thought a parent was unsafe to drive or under the influence .

If a parent has a child buckled in a car seat when they leave, then NOTHING that happens after that fact is my liability.

Just to be sure I asked my DCD (who is a State Trooper) and he said he finds it hard to believe that I could be held liable in any of those situations unless there was proveable evidence that I acted in a manner that would have caused something to happen. He said he thinks people are too quick to blame anyone for something they should be responsible for themseves.

Car seats are removed and reinstalled all the time by parents for various reasons and NONE of those have anything to do with me so I still stand my ground that I am not responsible or liable. With the exception of NOT reporting something I knew....but again, they would have to prove I KNEW or actually saw no car seats......
JenNJ 08:23 AM 02-29-2012
Just to be sure I asked my DCD (who is a State Trooper) and he said he finds it hard to believe that I could be held liable in any of those situations unless there was proveable evidence that I acted in a manner that would have caused something to happen. He said he thinks people are too quick to blame anyone for something they should be responsible for themseves.
And THAT is the problem! By offering the carseat to borrow, the OP has to stress about liability issues when all she wanted to do was be nice. It sucks that this is the kind of society we live in, but at the end of the day all I want to do is cover my a**.
daycare 08:24 AM 02-29-2012
Oh, I get that part of it but what I am not understanding is how anyone can think that daycare providers are responsible for things parents choose to do or not do once they leave my property.

I don't allow car seats to be left on my property and I do not have or borrow out seats I also do NOT transport children. EVER.

If I KNEW a parent did not have a car seat, I would absolutely report it just as I would if I thought a parent was unsafe to drive or under the influence .

If a parent has a child buckled in a car seat when they leave, then NOTHING that happens after that fact is my liability.

Car seats are removed and reinstalled all the time by parents for various reasons and NONE of those have anything to do with me so I still stand my ground that I am not responsible or liable. With the exception of NOT reporting something I knew....but again, they would have to prove I KNEW or actually saw no car seats......
OH and I forgot to say that when she showed up empty handed, I would have demanded that she give you her car seat. Tell her I need it for our field trip today and when you come for pick up today, I will give you back your car seat when you give mine back.

This would force her to go get it making it her problem
daycare 08:25 AM 02-29-2012
sorry blackcat not sure why I quoted you...I need my coffee still...lol
Blackcat31 08:25 AM 02-29-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
sorry blackcat not sure why I quoted you...I need my coffee still...lol
It's cuz you like me!
MrsB 08:26 AM 02-29-2012
Who knows I suppose it could happen, but I think it is HIGHLY unlikely that anyone would win a case against a daycare provider for loaning a carseat. To prove negligence you have to prove carelessness.

It would be different if you loaned them a carseat you knew was expired or you knew didnt fit the child. That could be considered carelessness. I did have my lawyer tell me never to help a parent strap in a carseat or strap it in for them. I think just the act of loaning an approved,non expired, appropriate carseat would be pretty difficult to show liability.
Blackcat31 08:27 AM 02-29-2012
And THAT is the problem! By offering the carseat to borrow, the OP has to stress about liability issues when all she wanted to do was be nice. It sucks that this is the kind of society we live in, but at the end of the day all I want to do is cover my a**.

Probably why I RARELY do anything any more other than what is required of me and that is all. Sad but a necessary reality.
momofboys 09:15 AM 02-29-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
Last night, dcm was stuck at work, so she had a friend come to pick up dbc. She asked if she could borrow one of my car seats because her friend did not have one. Of course, I said yes, I would not knowingly let a child leave without a car seat. The friend said I would have it today.

DCM shows up 45 minutes late today, (no call/text) without the car seat, and tells me that she will bring it tomorrow. I was planning on taking the kids to this awesome recreation outlet place for free play since it's so rainy and stormy here this morning. Well, that's a bust, since now I don't have enough car seats.

Would you have let a DCP borrow your extra car seat? THIS is what I get for trying to be courteous and nice... stuck in the house on a rainy day
I would have made her take her OWN car seat out of HER car & made her lend it to you! You don't happen to live in Ohio, do you? This AM I only had my own child (childcare-free day!!!) & we went to the Rainbow indoor Recreation center in Powell. Awesome free play time!
kayla 10:22 AM 02-29-2012
I do not loan anything, made this mistake a couple times with sippy cups etc, and I have never ecieved the items back....
PitterPatter 11:44 AM 02-29-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:

BTDT I have 2 spare seats just in case. I had to go pick the car seat up months later from another family member.

I have loaned out a few things over the years and had problems but this was the worst so never again.
nannyde 03:01 PM 02-29-2012

This

also you have to think about who should install the seat. The parent or person who picked up may not think YOU should have installed the seat and the kid in the seat but their insurance company might.

I don't even allow car seats in my house. I don't want to be in that cycle.
daycare 03:39 PM 02-29-2012
several years ago I recall reading a story about a DC provider that gave this little girl a candy necklace. The little girl wore it home and DCP were stupid enough to put her to bed with it on and she strangled her self to death with it on...GUESS who it came back on????

YOu hire the right attorney I think that almost anything is possible....LOOK at OJ simpson.
nannyde 03:59 PM 02-29-2012

I agree with you on almost everything Black but not this one. I think you may be right that ultimately you are not responsible but being right won't stop you from being sued. Being sued can devestate a provider financially for the rest of their life. Even if you win... the cost of defending something like this would be astronomical AND the ultimate outcome could come down to "experts" or "opinions". I don't want to be in the hot seat with my fate hanging off the words of a car seat expert or a crash expert.

And one other thing... I think the idea of proper car seats IS them staying fixed. I don't allow seats in my house in part because I don't WANT them taking the seat in and out every day.
Breezy 04:50 PM 02-29-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I agree with you on almost everything Black but not this one. I think you may be right that ultimately you are not responsible but being right won't stop you from being sued. Being sued can devestate a provider financially for the rest of their life. Even if you win... the cost of defending something like this would be astronomical AND the ultimate outcome could come down to "experts" or "opinions". I don't want to be in the hot seat with my fate hanging off the words of a car seat expert or a crash expert.

And one other thing... I think the idea of proper car seats IS them staying fixed. I don't allow seats in my house in part because I don't WANT them taking the seat in and out every day.
My dcps only have one base and two cars so every day they unhook the base and bring both the base and infant seat in and take up a ton of room and then dad picks up and straps it in and they switch in the morning. Drives me batty!!!
daycare 04:51 PM 02-29-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
My dcps only have one base and two cars so every day they unhook the base and bring both the base and infant seat in and take up a ton of room and then dad picks up and straps it in and they switch in the morning. Drives me batty!!!
car seats are gross....lol I don't allow them.
nannyde 05:10 PM 02-29-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
Yes I used to allow that but I made a decision to not allow them in the house.

I hope they just stop making the removeable seats. It's going to take a lot of infant deaths inside the seats OUTSIDE of the vehichle to get manufacturers sued enough to quit making them.
PolarCare 05:17 PM 02-29-2012
I don't like to borrow things from people, and I don't really like to loan my things out either. I have a few family members that I am close with that I loan things to, but nothing that I will miss. I'm talking movies, books, things that if I don't get it back...oh, well. Not a biggie.

Not the day care family that I have now, but my previous daycare family...they were a little different. Anyway, this thread reminds me...once DCM asked me at pickup if we were going out of town for the holiday weekend. We weren't...we usually go out of town in the off season because our family is huge and it's a hassle to start with...so she asked if she and her family could borrow my motorhome! I thougth that was a little presumptuous. I told her no, of course. She acted like she was totally offended!
Childminder 05:44 PM 02-29-2012
If you lend the seat and if they get in an accident on the way home and if the child is hurt, believe you me that it will some how, some way, come back on you that the car seat was improperly installed or something and you will be held responsible in some way. Hello lawsuit.

I know it is comparing apples and oranges but my friends daughter was seriously injured in a head on with a drunk motorcyclist. The lawsuit included the man that loaned the drunk his helmet that hit her in the face. They sued the bat, the bartender, Harley-Davidson, his friends for letting him drive, etc... You will get sued by the parents of a child harmed in YOUR car seat. It is just the nature of the beast.
Blackcat31 08:30 AM 03-01-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:

Nope, we are actually on the same page......because I do know I am right but I still don't want to be sued so I took your advice last year and no longer allow car seats to be on my property AT ALL.

Not left to be swapped with another parents or pick up person, not used for carrying an infant in or out and most definitely not anywhere where I have anything to do with them......because I do NOT want the liability...especially for people who view everything as someone else's responsibilty first and foremost before looking to how they could have had any role in it.

I also agree that ideally, car seats should be a permanent fixture in a car, which is probably the biggest reason our police and fire departments will gladly help you properly install your car seat. ONCE. because it isn't meant to be taken in and out.

Looking back on this last year or two, I have had all sorts of rule changes and new policies (No meds, no attendance after imms, no scarves, etc etc)simply because I no longer wish to assume ANY responsibility for things that COULD be an issue for anyone, especially in this day and age of sue happy people and over flowing court systems where anyone can be held liable for the most rediculous things.
SunshineMama 09:30 AM 03-01-2012
Originally Posted by momofboys:
I would have made her take her OWN car seat out of HER car & made her lend it to you! You don't happen to live in Ohio, do you? This AM I only had my own child (childcare-free day!!!) & we went to the Rainbow indoor Recreation center in Powell. Awesome free play time!
Yep I'm in Powell. I was going to take them to Recreation outlet for free play, 9-11. Is Rainbow recreation the same thing as recreation outlet? (Maybe I am calling it the wrong name?) The place where they sell the play structures and trampolines but let the kids come and play on them...

She called this morning and said she would be 3 hours late. UGH- because AGAIN, I could have gone somewhere this morning but couldnt because she had the car seat

Lesson learned. I will not let her borrow it again, not only for liability reasons, but because she borrowed one of my car seats and took 2 days to return it.
MrsB 09:56 AM 03-01-2012
Well maybe if you are one who is willing to loan, but worried about liability, have them sign a waiver relinquishing all liability.
My3cents 10:50 AM 03-01-2012
Nope, we are actually on the same page......because I do know I am right but I still don't want to be sued so I took your advice last year and no longer allow car seats to be on my property AT ALL.

Not left to be swapped with another parents or pick up person, not used for carrying an infant in or out and most definitely not anywhere where I have anything to do with them......because I do NOT want the liability...especially for people who view everything as someone else's responsibilty first and foremost before looking to how they could have had any role in it.

I also agree that ideally, car seats should be a permanent fixture in a car, which is probably the biggest reason our police and fire departments will gladly help you properly install your car seat. ONCE. because it isn't meant to be taken in and out.

Looking back on this last year or two, I have had all sorts of rule changes and new policies (No meds, no attendance after imms, no scarves, etc etc)simply because I no longer wish to assume ANY responsibility for things that COULD be an issue for anyone, especially in this day and age of sue happy people and over flowing court systems where anyone can be held liable for the most rediculous things.
This is such good advice from both of you. Thank you-
WImom 11:39 AM 03-01-2012
I was going to say I'd let her borrow it but now reading other posts I wouldn't. Never thought of the sueing aspect.
bice99 11:41 AM 03-01-2012
Don't accept her kid into care until she brings it back. Then you'll have enough car seats for everyone, right?
CheekyChick 11:52 AM 03-01-2012
You did the right thing. A child's safety ALWAYS comes first. I just think it's rude she didn't bring it back and I would make sure she knew the children missed out on a fun outing because of it.
SunshineMama 12:01 PM 03-01-2012
Originally Posted by bice99:
Don't accept her kid into care until she brings it back. Then you'll have enough car seats for everyone, right?
This morning, DH took the SUV to work, with the extra seats, since he took my older girl to preschool. I found myself this morning with no car seat at all, since dcp had my extra seat that I usually keep in the car. Since the other parents were late- I could have taken my dd to the store and ran some errands, but I was carseat-less, which is very dangerous. What if I had to take dd to the dr or if there was some sort of emergency?

I learned my lesson. I learned a lot of lessons. Get the extra seats out of the car before dh leaves, and don't loan items to people who arent courteous enough to bring them back.

I have it back now thankfully.
Tags:borrow, taking advantage
Reply Up