Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pool Trip?
newtodaycare22 11:19 AM 06-27-2012
Am I crazy? One of my dck has a small community pool and invited us to go for a field trip. It'd be myself, dc mom, and dc dad...and the life guard. I have 6 kids:
-one 3 year old (daughter of these parents...very used to the water and has a floatie)
-one 3.5 year old (has taken swim lessons and can manage quite well)
-one 4 year old (who would be attached to me because he's prone to getting hurt in every way )
-one 4 year old who can swim on his own
-one 4 year old who has taken lessons but can't swim..but uses a floatie at a public pool every weekend
-one 5 year old who has taken lessons but still uses a floatie as well

There's a wading pool but I think I can handle the bigger pool with them (3 feet). Even if nobody tried to move around on their own, each adult could have 2 kids each. I think its doable. Would you try? lol Thanks for opinions.

Btw, I know my parents would all be ok with it...I just want to be sure I'm not taking on too much myselr
nothingwithoutjoy 11:28 AM 06-27-2012
I do swimming if I have a ratio of one adult for two kids (like you said, so you can hang on to them all if you need to). I'd do it.
Unregistered 11:29 AM 06-27-2012
I'd be a little leery myself because last year (or the year before) there was an accidental drowning in a nearby city up here when several daycare providers went to another provider's house for a fun day in her pool...terrible tragedy for all involved and the host provider was charged with several charges...
newtodaycare22 11:30 AM 06-27-2012
Originally Posted by Lise:
I do swimming if I have a ratio of one adult for two kids (like you said, so you can hang on to them all if you need to). I'd do it.
Yeah that ratio sounded good to me too. For all functional purposes! We don't have strict guidelines except pools have to have filters (we can't use baby pools in our back yards ).

The 'suggested' ratio thought is 1:1 when water is up to their chest and they can't swim.
AmyLeigh 12:16 PM 06-27-2012
I think it sounds doable. I have taken 6 kids to the public pool by myself! Of course, out of 6, 3 were mine, 1 could swim really well, 4 stayed in the wading pool, and one didn't want to leave my arms.
Reply Up