Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First day report?
newtodaycare22 09:50 AM 08-08-2012
Does anyone have form they fill out on a kids first day? Kind of like a daily report thing? I started a new kid today and it's my first time in a year. I forgot how hard it is to teach rules. I would like to write something for the parents highlighting the good parts of the day and stuff that we will be working on further. Thanks!
SilverSabre25 09:57 AM 08-08-2012
No, nothing like that. I always say something to the effect of it being good "for a first day" and "it always takes everyone a while to settle in the new routine" and stuff like that.

Otherwise I worry the parents will feel attacked/judged, or will leave quickly or be too hard on their kid.
Mommy2One 10:50 AM 08-08-2012
Originally Posted by newtodaycare22:
Does anyone have form they fill out on a kids first day? Kind of like a daily report thing? I started a new kid today and it's my first time in a year. I forgot how hard it is to teach rules. I would like to write something for the parents highlighting the good parts of the day and stuff that we will be working on further. Thanks!
I don't have a form to give you but as a parent I would love something like that, maybe even the first 3 days or week if you have the time/willingness. Even better if it would include a few other tidbits (like meals/snacks or an activity that the child loved) that you may not have time to go over at drop off/pick up. I would be reassured that we were both really on the same page and that it was a good fit and my daughter was adjusting well. It would also give me a chance to discuss/review/reinforce anything with my child that may be different from her previous care or any parts of the routine that're giving her difficulties so she knows that we support Ms. Susie and when Ms. Susie says "X, Y, Z" it's important that she listens because of "A and B" or whatever.
newtodaycare22 11:25 AM 08-08-2012
Originally Posted by Mommy2One:
I don't have a form to give you but as a parent I would love something like that, maybe even the first 3 days or week if you have the time/willingness. Even better if it would include a few other tidbits (like meals/snacks or an activity that the child loved) that you may not have time to go over at drop off/pick up. I would be reassured that we were both really on the same page and that it was a good fit and my daughter was adjusting well. It would also give me a chance to discuss/review/reinforce anything with my child that may be different from her previous care or any parts of the routine that're giving her difficulties so she knows that we support Ms. Susie and when Ms. Susie says "X, Y, Z" it's important that she listens because of "A and B" or whatever.
This is what I have:

First Day Report for _______________

Successful Highlights:

-Quick to make friends with the other kids
-Willing to take turns and share
-Treats toys respectfully
-Follows directions regarding transitions (ie: time to clean up for circle time)
-Excellent manners-Consistently says ‘please’ and ‘thank you’
-Great about asking to use the bathroom when necessary/going on her own

Routines to be learned (which will come with time and practice ) :

-Sitting and listening during circle time
-Cleaning up as she moves from one activity to another
-Trying new foods and using polite words if she does not care for a food
-Eliminating the word “stupid” when talking at school

Do you think that's informative without being harsh? Like someone said, I think this will help parents reinforce things at home. Thanks!
Nickel 12:54 PM 08-08-2012
Remember to always end on a positive note! Write a quick comment or sentence about one really great thing, compliment, praise whatever. People tend to listen better when we start with positive, go over the corrective areas and then end on a positive. It keeps them from feeling attacked or like you are being mean. I hope that makes sense. I'm not finding the exact right words I want. (Probably because nap time is about to end. lol)
Blackcat31 01:36 PM 08-08-2012
Originally Posted by newtodaycare22:
This is what I have:

First Day Report for _______________

Successful Highlights:

-Quick to make friends with the other kids
-Willing to take turns and share
-Treats toys respectfully
-Follows directions regarding transitions (ie: time to clean up for circle time)
-Excellent manners-Consistently says ‘please’ and ‘thank you’
-Great about asking to use the bathroom when necessary/going on her own

Routines to be learned (which will come with time and practice ) :

-Sitting and listening during circle time
-Cleaning up as she moves from one activity to another
-Trying new foods and using polite words if she does not care for a food
-Eliminating the word “stupid” when talking at school

Do you think that's informative without being harsh? Like someone said, I think this will help parents reinforce things at home. Thanks!
I think the above info sounds good, however........I think it should all be info given after at minimum 3 days of attendance.

The things you have nored (both the positive and the negative) is a lot of info for just one day and probably not a very accurate picture of what DCK is really like since they have only been in attendance for one day.

If I were the parent and got a summary like that after a couple days, I would be really impressed with the observation skills and personal touch from the provider.

But if I got that summary after only one day, I would be inclined to think that you are being kind of nit-picky and not giving my child the chance to really adjust or be who they are yet since they hadn't been there long yet. KWIM?
DayCareDynasty 02:44 PM 08-08-2012
Hi! New to this forum...but not child care. Provider for 15yrs.

I have always kept a parent journal that I send home at the end of the day. In it, I talk about the child's day, any new foods he or she tried, how they napped, etc...Parents really like it! Especially new parents, and parents can also communicate to me anything they may want me to know such as the child waking up in the middle of night, he might not have gotten enough sleep so he or she may need a early nap or notice a diff. in BM etc...

I implemented this because there are things parents need to tell me sometimes in the morning that they just don't have the time to stand their and communicate to me because they need to get on the road, and there are exciting things I want to share with them at pick-up but are not really able to, while I am trying to help everyone get their kids out door! I picked up my journals at the fabulous Tarje' (That's Target)Lol!.

It can take some time out of your day to do this, I usually wrote in my journal at nap time. Parents have expressed to me that they love reading their journal!
Reply Up