Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Price for Older Children?
mandy2552 06:21 PM 06-22-2016
Hi all-

My weekly price for my daycare is $200/week for full time. I had someone message me today about me taking care of her two children who are 9 and 11. In this case they wouldn't count in ratio. I am assuming I would charge less since they are self sufficent? What would you guys do? I'm new to this. Thanks!
Blackcat31 06:33 PM 06-22-2016
Originally Posted by mandy2552:
Hi all-

My weekly price for my daycare is $200/week for full time. I had someone message me today about me taking care of her two children who are 9 and 11. In this case they wouldn't count in ratio. I am assuming I would charge less since they are self sufficent? What would you guys do? I'm new to this. Thanks!
Each child in your care is going to receive your care and supervision.

Each age group has its difficulties.

I wouldn't discount my services even if the kids aren't counted by the state (ratios).

kendallina 06:36 PM 06-22-2016
Yes, school age children present their own set of issues and I personally find them more needy than preschoolers. I wouldn't discount.
Thriftylady 06:56 PM 06-22-2016
I have all SA kids this summer. They are harder to keep occupied and entertained, eat more, want more craft supplies, etc. I don't discount for them.
AmyKidsCo 08:06 PM 06-22-2016
I might discount if they didn't count in my ratios.

In WI the only children who don't count in ratios are my own children age 7 and up. Our ratios are divided into under-two and over-two, so I'd charge the same as any other over-two because that's the spot they'd be filling. Otherwise I'd be losing money.
nothingwithoutjoy 08:12 PM 06-22-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I have all SA kids this summer. They are harder to keep occupied and entertained, eat more, want more craft supplies, etc. I don't discount for them.
Yes...all this, and they don't nap!

I have a 12 year old who asked to come back this year to "volunteer" for 2 weeks, and I allowed it b/c I have room and she'd actually be very helpful. But I told her she had to keep it hush hush, because I charge everyone else, including my 2 11-year-olds. (She sent me the best letter herself, outlining her qualifications. So great.)
mandy2552 08:17 PM 06-22-2016
Ok thank you for the advice everyone!! That is good to know!
Cat Herder 07:09 AM 06-23-2016
I would not discount either. I would be thrilled to be able to charge for slots that don't count into my ratios.

We have no such ability here. Under 17, unrelated (with a notarized statement) and on the premises during operating hours is all that matters here for ratios now. It was difficult enough when it was age 13.

Luckily my kids are grown now or it may have kept me from opening at all. A childhood where no friends are allowed to come play? Not ok.. I understand they don't want us keeping extra for pay, but not even free of charge, now.
NillaWafers 01:59 PM 06-23-2016
Team no discount. I actually just changed my pay scale to reflect this. It dawned on me that even though I charged less for 1-3 year olds, they're still taking an infant spot which is much more. So now I just have two prices, infants 0-2yrs and 2 and up.
childcaremom 02:30 PM 06-23-2016
If I was doing olders I would probably charge more, strictly due to food costs and supplies.
KiwiKids 04:58 PM 06-23-2016
No discount. They are just as much work in their own way.
Leigh 07:49 PM 06-23-2016
Originally Posted by mandy2552:
Hi all-

Oh, Good God, NO! I would NEVER charge less for older kids, but charge MORE! They are MORE work, they eat more, and they require more supervision and planning. I won't even take school age anymore, but if I did, I'd charge a premium for it. They're HARD WORK!
Josiegirl 03:38 PM 06-24-2016
No discount here either. Sometimes I don't understand why many places charge more for babies and decrease as the child ages. Seems like they get more difficult with age.

Although last summer I had 2 girls, ages 11 and 12, they were THE biggest helpers I could've asked for. In fact, I gave them each some cash to buy school clothes when they left. They've now aged out and I miss them so darn much. Not just because they helped but they were all around wonderful kids. They started coming when the youngest was 1 1/2. Lots of history.
Tags:pricing, rates - older children
Reply Up