Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Uncircumcised?? What's the Big Deal??
Soupyszoo 12:56 PM 03-05-2012
Ok so lately I've heard and read a lot about all these parents against circumcising their baby boys. What's the deal? Is this a new fad? Aren't there health reasons for circumcising boys when they are born? Or health reasons in general for circumcising and easier on the baby to do it when they are born?

I don't understand when parents say it should be the baby's choice (obviously when he's old enough to choose)?? It seems like the healthiest thing to do but waaaaaay more traumatic when they are old enough to make the desicion themselves, no??

I've never had boys but, we did have friends that for whatever reason were not able to have their son circumsiced when he was born and had it done at 2yo. It was horrible for the little guy

Just trying to understand
Breezy 01:11 PM 03-05-2012
People that are against circ believe that children should have their own say in it, that it decreases sexual pleasure, it is unnatural and barbaric. Insurance companies are no longer covering it as anything but a cosmetic procedure so many parents are no longer getting it done. Many health professionals no longer see it as medically necessary.

Those for circ believe that it is more hygienic and reduces the risk of pelvic inflammatory disease in women? (Because men are more clean down there), reduces the risk of cancers in men. But above all is more hygienic especially for young boys that don't want to or know how (or the importance of ) washing down there.

We had our son circed when he was 4 weeks old and I have never regretted it. I have gotten a in many a debate about it though in other forums!
Meyou 01:23 PM 03-05-2012
IMO it's cosmetic surgery and shouldn't be done without the patient's consent.
Soupyszoo 01:25 PM 03-05-2012
That's what I'm seeing! A lot of debates! The people that are against it seem almost condescending in their views! They seems to be rallying with attachment parents and the breast feeders and the cloth diaperers all of which I could care less about! What everyone wants to worry about is their choice. I just can't help but feel a tad offended when this group of people talk down to people who use disposable diapers, formula and let their babies sleep in cribs and choose to circumsice.
littlemommy 01:27 PM 03-05-2012
We had DS circumcised, because we thought it was "the norm." We didn't do any research of anything, just had it done. If we have another boy, he will not be circumcised. IMO, it is nothing more than a money making cosmetic procedure for doctors and hospitals to benefit from.

Some baby boys go into a state of shock, some have a botched procedure and have to have it redone causing more pain, and some die due to infection.

I don't think DS has been ruined by it, but I do think now that he should have had a choice. If he wanted it done later in life, he would have been put under and had painkillers to help with it. When he had it done at only 1 day old, he was only given sugar water. There is no way that can keep a baby from hurting. It's horrible to know exactly how it is done and how much pain it causes
SilverSabre25 01:30 PM 03-05-2012
Like most other parenting choices, it is a choice and it is very polarizing. It is one of those "hot" issues, right up there with spanking, breastfeeding, and cosleeping. Actually, I could go on because I can't think of a single parenting choice that's not a huge debate!

Throughout the past fifteen years or so, the circumcision rates in our country have been dropping. There have been many research studies whose results have been no evidence upporting circumcision= more hygenic/cleaner/fewer infections/etc. At best, the results have been inconclusive.

We are (IIRC) the only developed nation where circumcision is routinely practiced on ALL baby boys.

Gradually, there began to be a trend towards leaving boys intact. Eventually, some insurance companies began not covering the procedure as organizations such as WHO and AAP deemed it medically unnecessary (in most cases). Today, the circumcision rate is WAY down...somewhere in the 40% range, I think, down from 80% or 90% thirty years ago. And it's dropping every year.

As for cleaning, well, you don't need to worry about it until the foreskin retracts on it's own, usually by age 3 or 4, then when your son is learning to bathe himself you simply teach him to pull back the foreskin and wash under it, the same way you teach kids to wash their hair and behind their ears. It's just another part of the body.

Arguments like "he should look like his father" and "we don't want him to be made fun of" don't hold much water when you consider circ rates (not likely to be only uncirc'd boy) and the fact that even circ'd penises all look different and you just explain (if he even asks) that some look different.

it's just another choice...another way for parents on both sides of the spectrum to feel either sanctimonious or judged because of it.
Breezy 01:30 PM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
We had DS circumcised, because we thought it was "the norm." We didn't do any research of anything, just had it done. If we have another boy, he will not be circumcised. IMO, it is nothing more than a money making cosmetic procedure for doctors and hospitals to benefit from.

Some baby boys go into a state of shock, some have a botched procedure and have to have it redone causing more pain, and some die due to infection.

I don't think DS has been ruined by it, but I do think now that he should have had a choice. If he wanted it done later in life, he would have been put under and had painkillers to help with it. When he had it done at only 1 day old, he was only given sugar water. There is no way that can keep a baby from hurting. It's horrible to know exactly how it is done and how much pain it causes
My DS had local!
Greenplasticwateringcans 01:32 PM 03-05-2012
Circing has not been in vogue in my area since the late '70's.
SilverSabre25 01:34 PM 03-05-2012
Also, if you really want to know...look up some information on it. Watch a video online of how the procedure is done. It is NOT pleasant and it is NOT harmless to the baby. Mistakes are not unheard of.

If you choose it, go in with your eyes wide open, at least. Consider finding a friendly rabbi to do a bris if you really insist because somehow, the Jewish method doesn't seem to cause as much trauma to the babies.

Babies DO feel pain. Don't let the doctors tell you otherwise.

Insist on anesthetic being used.

Consider having it done out of the hospital.

Just...educate yourself.
littlemommy 01:34 PM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
My DS had local!
For some reason our hospital doesn't offer that. At the time I didn't think of it, but after I realized how it's done and what not I had momma guilt.
Sunshine44 01:34 PM 03-05-2012
I haven't decided what I would do if I have another boy, but it isn't covered under insurances as it is comestic only now. Even books (medical) are saying it is not necessary to do it anymore. It is not a fad, it is because some people say it poses a greater medical risk or that it should be the infants choice when they grow up. Do your own research and form your own opinion after doing the research. I cannot say either way what I feel at this point.
littlemommy 01:36 PM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Also, if you really want to know...look up some information on it. Watch a video online of how the procedure is done. It is NOT pleasant and it is NOT harmless to the baby. Mistakes are not unheard of.

If you choose it, go in with your eyes wide open, at least. Consider finding a friendly rabbi to do a bris if you really insist because somehow, the Jewish method doesn't seem to cause as much trauma to the babies.

Babies DO feel pain. Don't let the doctors tell you otherwise.

Insist on anesthetic being used.

Consider having it done out of the hospital.

Just...educate yourself.
And if you choose not to have it done-do not let anyone retract the foreskin! I've heard of so many intact babies having their foreskin forcibly retracted by nurses/doctors at regular check ups. They should know better, but they don't. It can cause permanent damage.
wdmmom 01:38 PM 03-05-2012
Lately the "fad" seems to be semi-circumcisions. I had never heard of it until I started doing daycare 3 years ago. Several of my dcb's have what's called the semi. They only remove the front flap that covers the urethra and the rest is left.

Apparently they have found that removing just a portion has proven less UTI's while leaving all the sensation.

My ex husband was not because the doctor said there wasn't enough to remove (true in his case) but we had DS circumsized. The cost was $110. (11 years ago.)
Soupyszoo 01:38 PM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by Sunshine44:
I haven't decided what I would do if I have another boy, but it isn't covered under insurances as it is comestic only now. Even books (medical) are saying it is not necessary to do it anymore. It is not a fad, it is because some people say it poses a greater medical risk or that it should be the infants choice when they grow up. Do your own research and form your own opinion after doing the research. I cannot say either way what I feel at this point.
That's kind of where I stand right now. On one hand it seems like just the "normal" thing to do. On the other hand I can't believe the pain they must feel!! I don't plan on having anymore kids but this just seems to be a topic I see a lot! I knew I could count on you guys for more information
Breezy 01:40 PM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by Sunshine44:
I am so glad my insurance covers it. They gave me the list of prices for private pay and it is very expensive I would bet that has a lot to do with the low numbers of people doing it nowadays too.
Soupyszoo 01:42 PM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Lately the "fad" seems to be semi-circumcisions. I had never heard of it until I started doing daycare 3 years ago. Several of my dcb's have what's called the semi. They only remove the front flap that covers the urethra and the rest is left.

Apparently they have found that removing just a portion has proven less UTI's while leaving all the sensation.

My ex husband was not because the doctor said there wasn't enough to remove (true in his case) but we had DS circumsized. The cost was $110. (11 years ago.)
I'm not sure I would know the difference if I saw one semi circumsiced. It's obvious when one is not. I guess I just thought it was more clean and that why people just did it! Now it sounds like that's even been dismissed.
Breezy 01:43 PM 03-05-2012
Also, we had a urologist do it and he used the plastibell method which is a ring around the penis that over the course of a week cuts off blood flow to the foreskin causing it to just fall off. My son never even whimpered but was given local anesthetic and numbing cream for the pinch of the anesthesia.
Soupyszoo 01:43 PM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
I am so glad my insurance covers it. They gave me the list of prices for private pay and it is very expensive I would bet that has a lot to do with the low numbers of people doing it nowadays too.
Absolutely!! Everything is expensive. Shoot! Just having the baby is a lot
SilverSabre25 01:50 PM 03-05-2012
Come to think of it, the process was even begun back in, oh, the forties, I think? On the idea that it would cut down on/eliminate masturbation Well *THAT* certainly didn't work.
Greenplasticwateringcans 02:00 PM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Come to think of it, the process was even begun back in, oh, the forties, I think? On the idea that it would cut down on/eliminate masturbation Well *THAT* certainly didn't work.
That is why it was started for the general population. Doctors back then were give god like status and no one questioned their authority.
SilverSabre25 02:27 PM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by Greenplasticwateringcans:
That is why it was started for the general population. Doctors back then were give god like status and no one questioned their authority.
It's still that way to some extent...
TBird 02:51 PM 03-05-2012
My son is 11 years old now but I would do it again if given the choice. No particular reason....I just think it looks better, less maintenance, and he won't miss what he never had. Something tells me that he won't be calling me up at the age of 35 to complain about his lost sexual sensation.
AnneCordelia 04:29 PM 03-05-2012
I have three sons who are all intact. Routine circumcision is not recommended here. In fact, in Canada more than 90% of our sons are left intact. Hardly a fad. :-)

There are many risks to circing an infant and minimal benefits. It is considered a cosmetic procedure here in Canada and is not covered by iinsurance. It is a myth that a circd penis is healthier or cleaner than an intact penis.

I figure this way my sons have the choice. They can always have it done later if theybprefer that look but you can't grow it back.
Kaddidle Care 04:41 PM 03-05-2012
I never thought much about it. My husband had it done and so did my sons.

His cousin didn't and neither did his son.

Neither my husband or my son's have ever had any sort of infection in that area.

I don't know if his cousin or his son have ever had a problem either.

I guess I would investigate the studies if I were to have another son.
safechner 04:47 PM 03-05-2012
If I have a son and I would get him circumcise his penis after birth. I think it is so distrusting if those boys don't have it. I babysat (I was 14 years old at this time) my cousin when he was baby and I found it was interesting. I asked my cousin's mother what was that and she explained to me about it. I felt so sorry for him that she haven't done to him when he was an infant. Now my cousin all grew up and he was so mad at his mother for not getting him done when he was an infant. Of course, he was pain for a while after surgery but he told me that he wish his mother would done when he was an infant so he won't remember what pain feel like.

Also, it got me interested to hear a lot of this forum that now there are so many parents against it now. What a shame. It seems like the parents are against to control their own children, spanking, strict their children, blah, blah. It seems it is getting worse.
daycare 05:12 PM 03-05-2012
When my son was born i looked into it and decided against it. I did tons of research and this is what I found and was told.

At first, only Black soldiers back in the 1920s were singled out for circumcision, because they were believed to be unable to keep themselves clean. Eventually, this carried over to all soldiers, who were sometimes threatened with courtmarshal, if they refused to undergo the knife.

The operation gained popularity after World War II, when the soldiers returned home and started the Baby Boom generation. This is when doctors started performing them on every baby, with, or without his parents' permission.

I think it carries on from Father to son, because they want their sons to look and be like them.

In the end, I chose not to do it
DBug 05:29 PM 03-05-2012
I was raised pro-circumcision (yes, it's something we actually had discussions about at the dinner table, growing up). We had both our boys done, and I was with both of them holding their little hands, each at 8 days old. We're not Jewish, but believe very strongly that God knew what He was talking about when he gave instructions to the Jewish people on how to do it. Since then, however, I've changed my mind. I've looked into WHY God had His people circumcise the males, and I've realized those reasons (primarily hygenic) aren't really applicable in this day and age anymore. If we were to have another boy, I would not have him circumcised.

Since I'm in Canada, my worry for my boys (although it's not a huge worry), is that they do look different from all the other boys, and they could possibly be teased about that.

The other way of looking at it is to compare it to female circumcision. Not that I think it's THAT extreme, but it is similar in a way ...
Michael 05:31 PM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
When my son was born i looked into it and decided against it. I did tons of research and this is what I found and was told.

At first, only Black soldiers back in the 1920s were singled out for circumcision, because they were believed to be unable to keep themselves clean. Eventually, this carried over to all soldiers, who were sometimes threatened with courtmarshal, if they refused to undergo the knife.

The operation gained popularity after World War II, when the soldiers returned home and started the Baby Boom generation. This is when doctors started performing them on every baby, with, or without his parents' permission.

I think it carries on from Father to son, because they want their sons to look and be like them.

Never heard that story. Being Catholic it is part of our Judeo-Christian religion. Religious male circumcision is considered a commandment from God and Jesus was also circumcised.

Aside from religion I am glad I and my son were both circumcised at birth. I believe it is about cleanliness and sensation (TMI). Maybe I'm biased because I had no choice but I am glad my parents made the choice for me. I had a friend that had it done at 22 and he was not a happy camper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumcision
Michael 05:37 PM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by DBug:
The other way of looking at it is to compare it to female circumcision. Not that I think it's THAT extreme, but it is similar in a way ...
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't female circumcision supposed to have the opposite effect to sensation? They are not the same thing at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_genital_mutilation
daycare 05:49 PM 03-05-2012
Thanks for your posting. I am always very interested by all religions, especially since mine is very unpopular here in America. I knew that it had much to also do with religion, but being that my religion does not do it, I wanted to see what all the hype was about and what the non religious factors were.....

I recall reading that because a lot of the African american soldiers were not very educated back during that time, that they would often not clean themselves well and would get infections or would cause spread of disease. They then decided that all soldiers had to have it done prior to war regardless of race... NOt sure what the proper term is, maybe god father(??), I have family friend here who has always over seen me and my sister. He was a prisoner of war in Germany. He is the one who told me of this story and gave me the information...
C'est la vie. 05:50 PM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
IMO it's cosmetic surgery and shouldn't be done without the patient's consent.
Tell that to the 5 year old we have at DC that just needed to be circ'd. Ouch.
MNMum 05:53 PM 03-05-2012
I'm the nurse who gets to hold the baby's hand and prepare them before they have it done. I've witnessed a few too many circumcisions not go as planned. My advice to anyone who has their son circumcised is to do lots of research and get a very skilled doctor. It's an art, and some doctors are just more experienced and better at it.
momofboys 06:26 PM 03-05-2012
I was just reading an article about circ rates this past week in my local paper (Columbus Dispatch) & I found it interesting that for my area of the country (midwest) the circ rate is still pretty high - whereas in the western states it was much lower. If I can find the link to the article I will post it.
SilverSabre25 06:34 PM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by momofboys:
I was just reading an article about circ rates this past week in my local paper (Columbus Dispatch) & I found it interesting that for my area of the country (midwest) the circ rate is still pretty high - whereas in the western states it was much lower. If I can find the link to the article I will post it.
It is definitely very much a regional thing.

I'm surprised a little that our area here is a little high...but despite that it is very accepted. I know many, MANY uncirc'd boys but that might be the circles I run in :P. The hospital didn't bat an eye when we didn't circ DS.
PolarCare 07:18 PM 03-05-2012
So is my stepson. It's all daughters for me after them. That said, if I have another son in the future, I will absolutely NOT circumcise him. I know a lot more now about it than I did when I was 20. I allowed my boy to be circumcised because his father wanted it done. I should have advocated for my boy and given him the choice.
Meyou 03:47 AM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by C'est la vie.:
Tell that to the 5 year old we have at DC that just needed to be circ'd. Ouch.
I'm assuming he needed to be circ'd for medical reasons? If so, it's hardly a good example. I have actually had a DCB who needed a circ for a medical reason when he was 6. It was awful and he got an infection that lasted weeks. But again...you can't compare a needed medical procedure to a voluntary cosmetic procedure. My DCB's father had to be circ'd as a adult for the same medical reason and still chose not to circ his son until it became medically necessary.

It's not common here in my province, it's not covered by insurance or MSI and it is 100% considered a cosmetic procedure.
Solandia 05:46 AM 03-06-2012
My boy is intact. In my 10 years of almost full-time daycare, and all but 2 of my dcks being boys....I have only seen/diapered one other intact boy. Our circ rates at the local hospital is very nearly 100%. It is virtually unheard of to NOT circ in our rural midwest area. Even my ob, who does almost all the circ's on the little boys he delivers in that hospital (and gets lots of money for a quickie procedure), said there is absolutely no compelling medical reason to circ a boy.

/safechner Also, it got me interested to hear a lot of this forum that now there are so many parents against it now. What a shame. It seems like the parents are against to control their own children, spanking, strict their children, blah, blah. It seems it is getting worse. Really, Safechner? Not circ'ing is part of the downfall of parenting? GMAFB.
SilverSabre25 06:28 AM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by safechner:

Also, it got me interested to hear a lot of this forum that now there are so many parents against it now. What a shame. It seems like the parents are against to control their own children, spanking, strict their children, blah, blah. It seems it is getting worse.

I do not know what to say to that...perhaps if you do some research into the topic you will see that it has nothing to do with control/no control. In fact, I beg you, PLEASE educate yourself on this topic so that you understand the reasons even if you do not agree with them. Controlling children and choosing not to circumcise are like comparing apples and oranges...you just can't do it.
jojosmommy 06:48 AM 03-06-2012
I would be willing to bet that much of the information on not circ boys is put out by the insurance companies in an effort to save money. I bet they even helped "determine" it is a cosmetic procedure.

I also find it interesting that in Canada as someone noted 90% are not circ. Govt healthcare had a lot to do with that I bet. Easy to change the status quo if it is attached to money.

When my hubs was in the marines lots adult males were choosing to get it done for hygienic reasons. Not a pleasant experience as an adult I hear .
godiva83 06:58 AM 03-06-2012
My DS is not circ. and either will my next baby boy.
It is not in my religion, my beliefs, nor do I hold it to be medically nessecary. Personally it is a big 'what if' what if my child gets infections, what if my son looks different ect. I will teach my Son proper hygiene, teach him about the passing of STI's and the importance of safe sex and hope I can teach him preventive measures.

In no way does the decision to circ. or not determine your parenting skills or abilities as a previous post mentioned.
It is a personal choice made by the guardians a choice that needs to be researched and thought about thoroughly - it is not a 'fad' and does not go in the same category as 'cloth diapering' by any stretch as previously mentioned.
Parents need to make an educated decision in the best interest of their child whether that is to be circ. or not.
MrsB 07:03 AM 03-06-2012
Another very interesting topic! I dont have a strong opinion one way or the other. My son is circu and he had problems. He was a newborn in the hospital and had it done a couple hours before we were discharged. It just kept bleeding. I never had experiences with it so I assumed that the blood was normal. I held on to his little penis with gauze for about 2 hours trying to get it to clot, finally I took him in. The doctor he saw I just loved! They ended up having to cauterize it and get vitamin K shots because of the blood loss. The doctor said that they started to do it in the hospitals with a babies only a few days for convenience. The doctors/hospitals made more money and parents were less apt to have the procedure if they had to bring the baby back. I also have to wonder if a parent is less apt to do it if they have had a few weeks to bond with the baby, rather than right after birth. The doctor also said that babies should not have it done before about 12 days old. It takes that long for their blood to have the proper properties to clot like its suppose to.

My hubby is not. He's never really had any issues besides being the only one in his peer group without one. At the time his parents were considered "hippies". He was born at home. He never really went to a normal physician unless it was to receive immunizations (only becasue the school required them) until he was an adult and enrolled in the military. Otherwise he went to the herbalist for most ailments.

If I had to do it over or had another boy, I probably would not.

On the other hand, I have had 2 DCBs that have had to go have them done at an older age. One was 4 and the other was 8. They seemed in alot more pain and discomfort than the 2 week old.
DBug 07:11 AM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by Michael:
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't female circumcision supposed to have the opposite effect to sensation? They are not the same thing at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_genital_mutilation
Yeah, I agree -- I believe female circumcision is done more to restrict the girl's "experiences" later on in life, but the comparison has been made before.

If you think about it, you're removing the analogous body part -- the only difference is that the "patient" is female rather than male. Sounds like discrimination to me ...

Thing is, why would you cut anything (besides their hair or nails) off your kids with no reason? You wouldn't remove their tonsils at birth on the off-chance that they might get tonsilitis later in life ...
CheekyChick 07:15 AM 03-06-2012
I don't have boys, but we have DCB's who are uncircumcised here and I (personally) don't like the look. I would feel horrible for these boys when they grow up and possibly want the surgery. Ouch.
Country Kids 07:18 AM 03-06-2012
The little boys that do have in later when they are still children, what are the reasons for doing it. I know some have said medical so wouldn't it have saved them the pain and possible embarrasement to have it done when they were babies?
Blackcat31 07:19 AM 03-06-2012
2 decades of doing child care and I have only had one boy who was uncircumsized.

His mother didn't have it done at birth because the father hadn't had it done so they said it was a family thing. Mom broke up with dad when daycare boy was 2.5 yrs old.

First thing she did after leaving dad was have her son circumsized.

Other than that, I have had NO boys here who have not been circumsized.

I had my son done simply because it was something that was just done then, I guess I honestly don't recall even being asked about it.
Meyou 07:27 AM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
I would be willing to bet that much of the information on not circ boys is put out by the insurance companies in an effort to save money. I bet they even helped "determine" it is a cosmetic procedure.

I also find it interesting that in Canada as someone noted 90% are not circ. Govt healthcare had a lot to do with that I bet. Easy to change the status quo if it is attached to money.

When my hubs was in the marines lots adult males were choosing to get it done for hygienic reasons. Not a pleasant experience as an adult I hear .
MSI(or gov't healthcare) covers all medically necessary procedures. They WILL cover medically necessary circumcision with no question as well. That in itself raises the question as to whether it's necessary or not IMO. They don't cut services to save money...they lengthen wait times.
wdmmom 08:07 AM 03-06-2012
JMHO but cleanliness is true.

I know it's TMI but seriously, smell is key here.

An uncircumsized man can recently shower and go to the bathroom and if they don't "shake it" enough, any additional beads or urine can retract with the skin and literally forment all day long.

It's worse smelling than a 2 week litter box!

If I had to do it all over again, I would circ my child.

Again TMI, but I think from a intercourse perspective, circ is better.
Breezy 08:15 AM 03-06-2012

An uncircumsized man can recently shower and go to the bathroom and if they don't "shake it" enough, any additional beads or urine can retract with the skin and literally forment all day long.

Agree 100%. And you can honestly teach children how to be hygenic but I can tell you that young boys do not take the time to clean themselves the way they should
kayla 08:19 AM 03-06-2012
I am for circumsicion... No it is not covered by insurance it costs 314. I am pregnant with a son and he WILL be circumsized. My dh is and im pretty sure he has not lost any sensation...In fact I have never seen an uncircumsized penis. Also I know a couple ppl that are not and they told me they wish they had been. They were made fun of in locker rooms, and by girls they were intimate with... It's my personal decision, just as breast feeding my son is also..
Breezy 08:26 AM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by kayla:
I am foDhr circumsicion... No it is not covered by insurance it costs 314. I am pregnant with a son and he WILL be circumsized. My dh is and im pretty sure he has not lost any sensation...In fact I have never seen an uncircumsized penis. Also I know a couple ppl that are not and they told me they wish they had been. They were made fun of in locker rooms, and by girls they were intimate with... It's my personal decision, just as breast feeding my son is also..
Dh and I were talking about the sensation last night (because of this thread) and he said if he was any more sensitive he wouldnt be able to enjoy it. Hes circed.
Greenplasticwateringcans 12:23 PM 03-06-2012

lol! What?!?!

My husbands uncirc'd penis does not smell like a 2 week old litter box.

I had a circ'd boyfriend whose penis always smelled bad...so there's an an antidotal story about circ'd peni being unhygienic.

:s
Soupyszoo 12:32 PM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by Greenplasticwateringcans:
lol! What?!?!

My husbands uncirc'd penis does not smell like a 2 week old litter box.

I had a circ'd boyfriend whose penis always smelled bad...so there's an an antidotal story about circ'd peni being unhygienic.

:s
This made me laugh! I'd be a little embarrassed if someone said my vagina smelled like a litter box at all! Even a clean litter box!

However, unfortunately, I have to agree based on experience the one uncircumcised man I knew had a very smelly penis!!

It could very well just be a matter of person hygiene though!!

Who knows

One thing that's stood out to me since reading everyone's comments and opinions is when they say they were uncircumcised until medically necessary. Or choosing to opt not to circumsice UNTIL medically necessary. Does this mean that it's more likely that the boys will need it done at some point?? If that's the case and I had a boy I would choose to have it done as young as possible.
KEG123 12:42 PM 03-06-2012
My son is and if we were to have another boy, he would definitely NOT be circ'd. I am a lot more educated than I was then. I just don't have the time to type out all my reasons, but if you're really intersted, look it up.
MamaBear 12:58 PM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:

Where the heck did you hear this or read this? That just sounds soooo ridiculous... Like something some racist person made up.
Crystal 01:56 PM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by Soupyszoo:
That's what I'm seeing! A lot of debates! The people that are against it seem almost condescending in their views! They seems to be rallying with attachment parents and the breast feeders and the cloth diaperers all of which I could care less about! What everyone wants to worry about is their choice. I just can't help but feel a tad offended when this group of people talk down to people who use disposable diapers, formula and let their babies sleep in cribs and choose to circumsice.
What I see in this post is YOU being condescending of those who choose attachment parenting, breastfeeding and cloth diapering. I am just a tad offended by these remarks myself.

My oldest son was not circumcised, my younger son is. I was a single mom with the first, and chose not to circ, AND I used cloth diapers. My second son's Dad (my hubby) preferred we circ him, as he is. I still wish I had fought it and not gone through with it. My oldest son is 21 and has never had an issues, my younger son hasn';t either, but IME there is no valid medical reason for circ., just a greater need for the parent to educate the child about proper hygeine.

Either way, I think it is purely a personal decision for the parent, and other people's opinions and ideals should be irrelevant.
MamaBear 02:05 PM 03-06-2012
Everyone makes their own decisions and make their own choices on whether or not to do this. I have 3 sons and they were all circumcised when born. Now their ages are 19, 11 and 6. They all had local anesthetic when it was done. They didnt even cry. I know some dr.'s don't use the local though which is so sad. To each their own. In my opinion I think they look so much better circumcised and easier to keep clean when young. Just my opinion.
Blackcat31 02:09 PM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by MamaBear:
Not sure why my response to this was deleted before... but I'm just really curious as to where you ever heard or read this? Honestly I'd like to know???
She responded in post #30 about where she heard this information.
Soupyszoo 02:28 PM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
She responded in post #30 about where she heard this information.
I didn't know posts could be deleted??
Soupyszoo 02:37 PM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
What I see in this post is YOU being condescending of those who choose attachment parenting, breastfeeding and cloth diapering. I am just a tad offended by these remarks myself.

My oldest son was not circumcised, my younger son is. I was a single mom with the first, and chose not to circ, AND I used cloth diapers. My second son's Dad (my hubby) preferred we circ him, as he is. I still wish I had fought it and not gone through with it. My oldest son is 21 and has never had an issues, my younger son hasn';t either, but IME there is no valid medical reason for circ., just a greater need for the parent to educate the child about proper hygeine.

Either way, I think it is purely a personal decision for the parent, and other people's opinions and ideals should be irrelevant.
I'm not sure how that was condescending, I was saying I don't care about people's decision to do any of those things. More power to the people who choose a "more natural" approach to parenting. I was also stating that I feel that those people often talk down to people who don't choose that way. Other peoples opinions SHOULD be irrelivant but obviously they aren't or you wouldn't be "a tad offended".

All that being said... Had I known more about cloth diapers when I was a new mom I would have considered it! Those things are pretty cool! I have a dcg in them and it's no trouble at all, then again I get to send them home every night to be washed, AND she hasn't started solids yet

But honestly... Sorry if I offended you. Not my intention
Blackcat31 02:43 PM 03-06-2012
I don't think anyone's post were deleted.

I was simply telling MamaBear that Daycare already responded about where she heard the info she posted.

MamaBear said her own post was deleted, but I am not aware of that happening as I see two posts by her so maybe she just didn't see it and thought it was deleted..

I don't know, but as far as I know, nothing has been deleted.
saved4always 03:33 PM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
2 decades of doing child care and I have only had one boy who was uncircumsized.

His mother didn't have it done at birth because the father hadn't had it done so they said it was a family thing. Mom broke up with dad when daycare boy was 2.5 yrs old.

First thing she did after leaving dad was have her son circumsized.

Other than that, I have had NO boys here who have not been circumsized.

I had my son done simply because it was something that was just done then, I guess I honestly don't recall even being asked about it.
Same here. My boys are 17 and 19 and it was just something that was done then. They may have asked if we wanted it done and we probably were just like "sure" since we did not know any boys who weren't and really didn't know much about it at all. "Back in the day" , we didn't have all this info on the internet or tv shows with opinions like they do now. We just did whatever the doctor said. There is so much more information that is easily accessible now. I don't know what I would do now but I would surely do more research than I did when I was a new parent.
Michael 03:38 PM 03-06-2012
Posts CAN be deleted by either the original poster (within the first few minutes) OR an Admin. No admin deleted a post here. I see no reference to it within the admin notes.
KEG123 04:03 PM 03-06-2012
How come my post was edited, Michael?
Michael 05:05 PM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by KEG123:
How come my post was edited, Michael?
You wrote "efinitely" and I changed it to "definitely". Would you like it changed back?
Cat Herder 05:46 AM 03-07-2012
I guess the Circumcision Debate has not surfaced in my region. At least not to my knowledge.

I have been keeping others people kids since I was 13, taking care of trauma patients since 18 (not to mention dating or married since 16 ) and have yet to see one male (over 24 hours old) that was not circumcised.

IDK, It just is not that common here... or maybe I did not look close enough... Hmmm...
countrymom 05:54 AM 03-07-2012
ok, ladies, I saw it done first hand, when I was a nursing student. The baby does cry, but not like you think, its like those who get their ears pierced.

when I worked in a nursing home, alot of older men ended up with infections, its awful how much pain they are in.

we had our ds done, but we thought it was the norm too, but it wasn't cometic or anything, I just don't how clean he would wash himself because the kid forgets to wash his hair in the shower---hes 9.

ds was also born with an undecended testicle, he had surgury at 2 yrs old, he has no memory of it, and he doesn't even realize he has a small scar. So will a circ. traumatize them, nope.
SilverSabre25 06:41 AM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I guess the Circumcision Debate has not surfaced in my region. At least not to my knowledge.

I have been keeping others people kids since I was 13, taking care of trauma patients since 18 (not to mention dating or married since 16 ) and have yet to see one male (over 24 hours old) that was not circumcised.

IDK, It just is not that common here... or maybe I did not look close enough... Hmmm...
Regional thing. You're in the deep south; rates are still very, very high down there.
RonJLoq 09:32 PM 03-08-2012
Originally Posted by Michael:
Being Catholic it is part of our Judeo-Christian religion. Religious male circumcision is considered a commandment from God and Jesus was also circumcised.
It is NOT Catholic to circumcise. It's against the official policy of the Holy Roman Church.

Catechism article 2297 days no amputations from non-consenting persons. Pius XII affirmed in 1952 that circumcision is only allowed when it treats a didease that can't be countered any other way. Popes every century have affirmed Cantate Domino (1442) which says circumcision "cannot possibly be observed without loss of eternal salvation."

See also CatholicsAgainstCircumcision.org

Cheers,
-Ron
Michael 10:09 PM 03-08-2012
Originally Posted by RonJLoq:
It is NOT Catholic to circumcise. It's against the official policy of the Holy Roman Church.

Catechism article 2297 days no amputations from non-consenting persons. Pius XII affirmed in 1952 that circumcision is only allowed when it treats a didease that can't be countered any other way. Popes every century have affirmed Cantate Domino (1442) which says circumcision "cannot possibly be observed without loss of eternal salvation."

See also CatholicsAgainstCircumcision.org

Cheers,
-Ron
Are you using a website for your facts? Here's one: The modern Roman Catholic Church maintains a neutral position on the practice of non-religious circumcision, and has never addressed the issue of infant circumcision specifically. "Slosar, J.P.; D. O'Brien (2003). "The Ethics of Neonatal Male Circumcision: A Catholic Perspective". American Journal of Bioethics "

The Circumcision of Jesus is an event from the life of Jesus of Nazareth according to the Gospel of Luke, which states in verse 2:21 that Jesus was circumcised eight days after his birth (traditionally January 1).

If it was good enough for Jesus it is good enough for me. I don't want to get into a conversation about gnostics and later day Chirstians. We will all find our way to heaven or hell depending on what you want to believe.
mrsp'slilpeeps 07:38 AM 03-09-2012

WHAT??? Ok thats just nasty. My hubby and both boys are not Circumsised and they definately dont smell like that either.

Maybe you have had an experience with someone who was unclean. Im sure many of us have. But my boys know how to clean it properly, Everytime.

That is OUR JOB AS PARENTS to teach them that.

And I might add that, to me they are considerably bigger than circumsised boys. The proof is in the puddin. I have changed many boys diapers and im puzzled as to why they are so small. It's almost like they cut half of it off!
youretooloud 08:58 AM 03-09-2012
I don't have boys, but if I did, I'd probably leave it up to the baby's father to decide that.

I respect both sides of the argument, but, I don't have a penis, so I'd defer to the one who did.

Our insurance doesn't cover it anymore, so most likely we'd choose to leave the baby uncircumcised.
Unregistered 09:08 AM 03-09-2012
I'm a new care provider, and will create an account for myself asap. I have been lurking for a few days.
On to the topic, i am completely against cutting off bits of unconsenting persons for cosmetic reasons, but that isn't why i'm posting. I'm posting b/c it drives me crazy to see the word "uncircumsized" it makes no sense. The proper term is intact. You can't be uncirced, you either are circed, or you are intact.
That's all lol.
Continue on.
Tags:circumcision, medical procedures
Reply Up