Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tips to Speed up This Poky Bottle Feeder
KiddieCahoots 11:54 AM 08-31-2015
Have a 3 month dcb, who is being conditioned by dcm & dcd to take his bottle at will, while he drifts in and out of sleep, all while in their arms......I see their fb pics, and they've openly admitted to this, stating I should have an easier time correcting the issue, because I don't have an emotional attachment to dcb like they do
I actually thought, no problem, I can stir this baby up enough to eat, but that's not the case. Dcb is part time and it sometimes take me 2hrs to feed him, while he continuously tries to fall asleep.
Dcb would be content with his bottle hanging on his lip like a cigar...allll...day if I let him, while he drifts in and out of sleep.
Is there a tactful way for me to address this with dcp's, and should I?
And what are some methods you use to stir an infant to eat instead of sleep?
laundrymom 12:03 PM 08-31-2015
I wouldn't wake him to feed. I would feed u til he drifted off, then put down. Let him get good and hungry before trying again.
nannyde 12:08 PM 08-31-2015
I would wait 2.5 hours in between feeding and stop as soon as he falls asleep. Lay him down and wait at least a half hour. If he falls asleep... wait an hour. Increase by a half hr with every attempt.

He needs a ton of belly time before eating.. then a settle down hold... then attempt to feed.

If he is grazing all day and night he isn't getting hungry. I would also require he be fed right before arrival and wait 2.5 to 3 hrs for the first attempt.
KiddieCahoots 12:21 PM 08-31-2015
Putting dcb down to sleep is when it can get even more tricky.
Because he's getting conditioned to be in dcp's arms while asleep, this is usually when he wakes up and wants that bottle back, to continue the cycle.....then what would you do?
laundrymom 01:32 PM 08-31-2015
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
Putting dcb down to sleep is when it can get even more tricky.
Because he's getting conditioned to be in dcp's arms while asleep, this is usually when he wakes up and wants that bottle back, to continue the cycle.....then what would you do?
I'd let him cry for awhile.
Then try again. Let him cry. Try again.
Unregistered 01:46 PM 08-31-2015
It takes the average baby 20 minutes to drink 6 oz. If he's not done then maybe he isn't really hungry? Pacifier? I would let him cry it out until the next meal. I bet he will be hungry enough to eat better.
bklsmum 03:36 PM 08-31-2015
What size nipple is he using? If it is a 1 might be time to step it up.
nannyde 04:05 PM 08-31-2015
Fortunately my state requires the baby be on their back in a crib or playpen when they are sleeping. I'm not allowed to hold during sleep. Since he is sleeping while eating, I would be required to put him down the second he fell asleep.

If he fell asleep while eating and then woke up when put down I would do belly time between then and the next feeding. I would have him sit up too. I wouldn't do cycles where he sucks to sleep and then randomly sucks while sleeping. That would be holding him while sleeping.

I would rather he cry between feeds than do 2 hours of suck nipple sleep. A baby that needs to be held during sleep needs their own adult.

I have had that baby before. It takes a lot to get them to eat awake.
Indoorvoice 04:21 PM 08-31-2015
Nannyde's advice is solid. I have a 6 mo old who has been here since 3 mo and he is the same way - has been since he started. He only wanted to take .5-1 oz at a time before he either fell asleep or started screaming. I now have him taking 3-4 oz at a time after doing basically what Nannyde said. I make sure he is VERY hungry before I attempt to feed him, and even then, it is difficult still to this day. The second he starts to fall asleep or fuss while I'm feeding him feeding time is over and I don't try again for at least another hour or so. It makes him mad, but I'm trying to get him to learn that feeding time is feeding time and not lollygagging time. I did try the next size up nipple, but he would just let the milk pour into his mouth and then spit it at me. Fun! It might be worth a try if you think he will swallow more with a faster flow, but be prepared for fussing and a mess. I also still strip him to his diaper at feeding time so he doesn't get comfortable enough to fall asleep. I would address it with parents. I would bring up to them that he is having trouble getting adequate feedings in because he is used to always having the bottle available and let them know that they can help him by not encouraging the endless feeding times. Make them think that this is for HIS benefit and not yours, and they will be more receptive. Honestly, they aren't doing him any favors and it's not cute.
KiddieCahoots 05:17 PM 08-31-2015
Thank you ladies!
I'll be diving in with this advice!
Tags:bottle issues
Reply Up