Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Assesments
Second Home 05:51 AM 06-08-2016
All lic providers ( in MD everyone must be licensed) , must begin assessing all children in their care beginning July 2016.
I chose the ASQ3 for my assessment kit.

So I started this month with one dck who I feel is behind in the communication area.

I gave the forms to dcm to fill out but also did the assessment myself just to see if we get the same results .
Most areas were close in scores but 2.

I truly believe the dck needs further assessing and help . But with the scoring from dcm he does not fall into the further assessment area . With mine he does .

This dck is 27 months old . Most things he will just point to and make a sound .
Door and dog are both just a "d" sound , eat and Edy( my dogs name) are both an"e" sound . If I ask him to repeat anything I may get a single letter sound but no words or even trying to form words .

The only clear words this dck says are ma-ma, da-da , hi, bye . None of the other dck can understand this dck, I do because he points to things and you can figure out what dck is trying to communicate .

How have others handled a situation like this ? I was thinking or giving her the score sheet with both of the results and also giving her the referral .
Blackcat31 07:01 AM 06-13-2016
Originally Posted by Second Home:
All lic providers ( in MD everyone must be licensed) , must begin assessing all children in their care beginning July 2016.
I chose the ASQ3 for my assessment kit.

So I started this month with one dck who I feel is behind in the communication area.

I gave the forms to dcm to fill out but also did the assessment myself just to see if we get the same results .
Most areas were close in scores but 2.

I truly believe the dck needs further assessing and help . But with the scoring from dcm he does not fall into the further assessment area . With mine he does .

This dck is 27 months old . Most things he will just point to and make a sound .
Door and dog are both just a "d" sound , eat and Edy( my dogs name) are both an"e" sound . If I ask him to repeat anything I may get a single letter sound but no words or even trying to form words .

The only clear words this dck says are ma-ma, da-da , hi, bye . None of the other dck can understand this dck, I do because he points to things and you can figure out what dck is trying to communicate .

How have others handled a situation like this ? I was thinking or giving her the score sheet with both of the results and also giving her the referral .
I wouldn't hesitate to be truthful with mom and give her both score sheets AND the referral. I'd explain to her that what parents see at home often varies from what is seen in the classroonm as the environments are completely different and since a classroom environment is where he'll spend a large portion of his time over the next 13+ years it cant hurt to have him formally assessed.
Second Home 07:09 AM 06-13-2016
I did give her my assessment scores along with hers and explained why some of mine were different .
She was on board with accepting the referral .
Ariana 07:12 AM 06-13-2016
I did give her my assessment scores along with hers and explained why some of mine were different .
That is awesome! I had a child who had ASD and scored an 8 for me and only a 2 for mom and dad. Talk about crazy discrepency!!
Blackcat31 07:34 AM 06-13-2016
glad to hear it!
Thriftylady 08:42 AM 06-13-2016
So happy mom is taking this serious!
Reply Up