Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Maternity Leave/Labor Plan
LittleScholars 09:52 AM 06-13-2016
I'm due in January and I've already told my daycare families I'm expecting. I'm nearly ready to send out a detailed memo/update policies explaining how I'll handle maternity leave/labor. I've followed some recent threads on this subject, but before I send it out I'd love to know if any of you have any suggestions.

The short version of my plan is that I'll take two unpaid weeks starting at the time of delivery, parents must secure back up care (I gave some recommendations for flexible providers in the area), I'll re-open after two weeks with a sub filling in for most of the day for a few weeks (I'll cover the hours she can't), and parents must pick-up within 30 minutes if labor begins during daycare hours.

Are there other things I should be preparing myself/parents for? I'm a new provider and a first time mom.

Thanks so much!
AmyKidsCo 11:51 AM 06-14-2016
Sounds like a good plan! Do you have a sub to cover if you go into labor and a parent is late picking up, or there's an emergency and can't pick up? What if you go into labor at midnight - do you have a plan for calling parents?
Snowmom 12:23 PM 06-14-2016
That's pretty much exactly like I handled my last pregnancy too.
Will you be having a sub during your OB visits the last trimester (or when weekly visits/check ups are required)?
Miss A 02:37 PM 06-14-2016
I am due in September. All parents are aware that they are responsible for their own back up care, and in August will be sending out their final maternity leave reminder. I also sent out updated emergency contact sheets, and informed parents that they will only be contacted by those numbers listed. I stated that should labor begin during the day, they would have 30 minutes to pick up. If labor started overnight they would receive a text that there is no daycare until after my leave is over.
LittleScholars 06:19 AM 06-15-2016
These are all such helpful things to think about! I will have a sub during OB visits, but I should include that. I'll have a sub with me 9-2 in case I go into labor early, but it is going to be really tough if it happens other than those hours. If a parent were to be later than 30 minutes, I'd be in a sticky situation and haven't figured out exactly how that will play out. If I go into labor overnight, I'll send out a text message via our chain, but that's really helpful to include!
LittleScholars 07:38 AM 06-16-2016
Originally Posted by Miss A:
I am due in September. All parents are aware that they are responsible for their own back up care, and in August will be sending out their final maternity leave reminder. I also sent out updated emergency contact sheets, and informed parents that they will only be contacted by those numbers listed. I stated that should labor begin during the day, they would have 30 minutes to pick up. If labor started overnight they would receive a text that there is no daycare until after my leave is over.

I'll also PM you in case you don't see this, but would you be willing to share your emergency contact sheet? I have the blue cards, but I'd love something more specific for this. Thank you!
Reply Up