Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Contract Revamp
laundrymom 07:35 AM 06-21-2016
Im revamping my contract w all new families and am wondering,
1. What do you wish you had in yours?
2. What is your favorite addition you've made?
3. What do you have in it that you feel is different or u our that may help others by using?
Thanks guys.
I appreciate any help you can give.
Thriftylady 07:44 AM 06-21-2016
I am considering adding something like BC's three strike late payment policy next time. I haven't had an issue, but I like her policy.
Blackcat31 08:33 AM 06-21-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Im revamping my contract w all new families and am wondering,
1. What do you wish you had in yours?
2. What is your favorite addition you've made?
3. What do you have in it that you feel is different or u our that may help others by using?
Thanks guys.
I appreciate any help you can give.
I have a handbook and a contract.

The contract says they (clients) agree to pay X amount on X days for their children.

It also specifically states the days they need and the payment agreement (every week, every other week, monthly etc).

It also says they agree to follow the rules/policies outlined in my handbook.

My contract is a single page.

My handbook is 36 pages.
but it literally covers every.thing.
Thriftylady 08:43 AM 06-21-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have a handbook and a contract.

The contract says they (clients) agree to pay X amount on X days for their children.

It also specifically states the days they need and the payment agreement (every week, every other week, monthly etc).

It also says they agree to follow the rules/policies outlined in my handbook.

My contract is a single page.

My handbook is 36 pages.
but it literally covers every.thing.
I do much the same. I used Tom Copelands guidelines for writing handbooks and contracts. My contract is two pages, but has several things for parents to initial and is double spaced.
Snowmom 09:21 AM 06-21-2016
My handbook is 18 pages, my contract is 3.
In my contract, there is a space they initial that states they've received and reviewed the handbook and will abide by all policies and procedures listed in this handbook.

My contract is a very condensed version of my handbook.

There's always tweaks and updates I do along the course of the year. I print out a new version every year for every single family to sign off on in January.
I'll outline the changes for them and discuss it in the newsletter as well.

Last year I changed my policy on administering medications (won't do it unless it's life saving measures like asthma or first aid). I also included "2 days on antibiotics before returning to daycare" instead of the standard 24 hours.
I also included verbiage to protect myself if I felt the need to terminate for any reason without notice.

The policies I'm constantly reinforcing and reminding: no items from home including small hair accessories (barrettes) and "socks must be worn" (had a child spread some unwanted visitors...twice).
laundrymom 09:27 AM 06-21-2016
My contract and handbook are one in the same so I didn't think to include handbook in the original questions. Does anyone have anything unique in their handbooks that you feel would be beneficial to share w other providers?
Same questions as before but please include either or handbook and contract items.
Unregistered 10:31 AM 06-21-2016
For me,
contract=every single thing related to money arrangements like amount due, when, how, late fees, days off, my vaca, their vaca, etc. Plus agreement to abide by policy book.
policy book= everything else. Info on philosophy, # of dcks, nap, illness, parent obligations, communication methods, etc, etc, etc. Policies can be changed upon a one week notice by giving family copy of the new page.
Annalee 10:42 AM 06-21-2016
The best thing I ever did was the "52 weeks a year pay".....no matter what! Other things may go haywire sometimes but NO ONE asks about pay anymore.
Josiegirl 10:51 AM 06-21-2016
I just added a couple things to my handbook about children needing to come awake, alert and ready for the day. Also, for the sake of everyone's safety parents will make personal contact with provider when dropping off or picking up child. Parents may not leave car running or children unattended while p/u or d/o either.
I also changed my policies so no toys are brought from home but if a child would like to bring a book to share at story time, that would be fine. I also said pockets and backpacks need to be checked before dropping off child(you wouldn't believe the dangerous tiny things kids will dig out of their pockets during the day). No food from home anymore either(new rule for me) except to share with other dcks for special day. Speak with provider beforehand in case of allergies. Also new rule for me is no cell phones allowed except to share pictures of dck.
childcaremom 11:02 AM 06-21-2016
The best thing in my contract/policies is that I have a clause for immediate term for a list of reasons with no refund of fees. If something warrants an immediate term, I usually do refund fees so I can wash my hands of a family, but it's in there just in case.

Illness policy to 24/48 rule. Love that change.

No set vacation period for me. I also state that I take a minimum of 2 weeks. Let's me schedule more time off if I need the mental break.

I am adding NO nap props. NO bottles. NOTHING from home other than change of clothes, outdoor gear and diapers/wipes. I may add that proper outdoor gear is to be sent (and kept) at daycare by x date or a fee of $80 will be paid by parent (to purchase said proper equipment).

I am adding a nap questionnaire to be completed prior to interview.

I am adding that the trial period will not be extended for any reason. I will stick to this policy. I will stick to this policy.
Annalee 11:04 AM 06-21-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
The best thing in my contract/policies is that I have a clause for immediate term for a list of reasons with no refund of fees. If something warrants an immediate term, I usually do refund fees so I can wash my hands of a family, but it's in there just in case.

No set vacation period for me. I also state that I take a minimum of 2 weeks. Let's me schedule more time off if I need the mental break.

I am adding NO nap props. NO bottles. NOTHING from home other than change of clothes, outdoor gear and diapers/wipes. I may add that proper outdoor gear is to be sent (and kept) at daycare by x date or a fee of $80 will be paid by parent (to purchase said proper equipment).

I am adding that the trial period will not be extended for any reason. I will stick to this policy. I will stick to this policy.
I like your vacation time listing....I added to my days off list ~but not limited to~ where I am covered if I choose more days.
284878 09:14 AM 06-22-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:

What do you ask in your nap questionare?
childcaremom 09:39 AM 06-22-2016
Originally Posted by 284878:
What do you ask in your nap questionare?
Well I haven't made one yet as I don't have any openings... but I have had, and continue to have, such problems with dcks and naps that I'm trying to weed out issues. I do ask a lot of these questions during interviews but think I need to get parents to answer them in writing in detail. I may need to wait until my nerves calm from this transition before I write a final copy as I probably sound a little, um, crazy.

Some sample ones:
What does your child sleep with in their crib? (eg: soothers, blankets, stuffies)

Describe the room your child sleeps in? Again, looking for minimal needs/modifications.

What do you do while your child is napping? In other words, do you go about your day or does the house shut down so little one can sleep.

How long does your child sleep for, on average?

What time does your child have his/her nap? Looking for a schedule, or close to one.

What time does your little one go to bed at night?

What is the morning wake up time?

Do they sleep through the night?
If they wake up, what do you do during the wake up periods?

Describe your routine prior to nap?

Does your little one go in the crib awake? Drowsy? Asleep?

What do you do when your child wakes up early from nap?

Describe your child's wake up routine? Does he/she wake up happy and ready to go or do they need a few minutes to wake up?

For older kids, this would include questions as to whether or not they have a rest time if child is not tired.

I don't know if this would eliminate all my nap issues but I know if my problem nappers families would have answered these questions honestly I never would have signed them. I do ask a lot of questions during the interview and explain fully what I do and what I won't do but I still manage to end up with issues. This would (I'm hoping) get a more detailed convo going with the parents so that I can make a more informed decision as to whether or not I sign them on.
thrivingchildcarecom 10:08 AM 06-22-2016
I had my contract reviewed a few years back by a group that provides legal guidance to providers. They literally touched each section in my contract to make it as iron clad as possible.

One thing I would say is that even before the revised contract, I had long ago added a "Payment Procedure" form to the contract. It is a separate form (requiring separate signatures) that really just reiterates the payment process for tuition, but it calls specific attention to itself. I found this was necessary since many parents (and they know who they are) don't really read the contract or most of it (sad but true).

Let me know if you would like a copy of the form. Just send me a PM and your email. I would be happy to share it.
LysesKids 04:25 PM 06-22-2016
Originally Posted by thrivingchildcarecom:
I had my contract reviewed a few years back by a group that provides legal guidance to providers. They literally touched each section in my contract to make it as iron clad as possible.

One thing I would say is that even before the revised contract, I had long ago added a "Payment Procedure" form to the contract. It is a separate form (requiring separate signatures) that really just reiterates the payment process for tuition, but it calls specific attention to itself. I found this was necessary since many parents (and they know who they are) don't really read the contract or most of it (sad but true).

Let me know if you would like a copy of the form. Just send me a PM and your email. I would be happy to share it.
Oh I know mine don't read my contract in it's entirety... if they did in the last paragraph is one sentence offering $10 right then & there if they tell me they read it while signing. It doesn't count if they get their copy, pay deposit and then walk out the door lol. I just signed a PT mom last night and she skipped over it just like the last 2 signers. My contracts have places that are fill in the blanks too... like names, addresses, days & times ( contracted hrs only here) so it's not like they haven't been told to read it
Reply Up