Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Enrolling new children while waiting for a job offer.
aDCProvider 07:56 AM 08-13-2014
I have not received an offer yet for any of the jobs I interviewed for. Even if I did, I wouldn't be starting for 4-6 weeks. I just got a call for a fulltimer starting immediately. If I don't get a job offer, it would be stupid not to accept this child. But knowing I may be closing, is it unethical to enroll a new child?

Idk what to do.
Reply
Cat Herder 08:00 AM 08-13-2014
It is a personal thing... grey area.

I don't envy your position.

Good luck with your preferred job
Reply
aDCProvider 08:03 AM 08-13-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
It is a personal thing... grey area.

I don't envy your position.

Good luck with your preferred job

I'm leaning towards Enrolling. I don't know anything for sure right now.
Reply
Cat Herder 08:04 AM 08-13-2014
Originally Posted by aDCProvider:
I'm leaning towards Enrolling. I don't know anything for sure right now.
Never feel guilty for doing the right thing for your family if that is what you are struggling with.
Reply
Shell 08:07 AM 08-13-2014
I would enroll. If you don't get the job, then you have passed up a family that would put you in a good place financially. If you do get the job, well, stuff happens, and they will find another daycare. There's no way for you to know what the future holds, you can only base your decision in today!
Reply
cara041083 09:02 AM 08-13-2014
I am in the same boat. I have decided to enroll while looking for the fact I need to make a living. In my opinion, I have learned that a parent WILL NOT think of you when they decide to leave or when they have a day off or when you need a day to go to the doc or something. So I learned to do whats best for me and my family. Just my opinion.
Reply
deliberateliterate 10:52 AM 08-13-2014
I'm in the exact same position, except I haven't even interviewed for a job yet. I've been hesitant about enrolling anyone new. I had one DCK leave at the end of school, and I didn't replace. I have another one leaving for JK, and I've decided to open up one more space. I'd love to find a job starting in October, but realistically, it could take months. Financially, I can't do it without another kid.
Reply
Controlled Chaos 10:57 AM 08-13-2014
I am waiting on a position at a center to open up for me (they are ready to hire me as soon as there are enough opening for my children). I am proceeding with business as usual until that happens. I can't afford not to.
Reply
hhdc 01:21 PM 08-13-2014
I was in a similar situation. We started looking for a new home, about 10 miles from where we are now. My house wasn't on the market and we were not certain that we would be moving. I have stopped actively looking for new families even though I have room. A couple of months ago a family contacted me about care for their infant. We meet and were a good fit. Then they put off starting until the end of July since they had paid for care at the current place already. The weekend before he started we found the perfect home. We put in an offer and it was excepted on Wednesday so Thursday I told all the families. The new family was really upset with me that I hadn't told her before. I feel like there wasn't anything to tell since we didn't have a new place. I am not moving until Oct. so there is time for everyone to find new places. My husband didn't even think I should tell everyone until we were farther into the process but we had a huge storage unit in the driveway for a week so I don't know how I could have not told them.
Reply
TheGoodLife 02:00 PM 08-13-2014
I understand! I am pregnant and unsure if I'll stay open after I have my baby, or if I'll at least go PT. I just enrolled 2 new families a couple weeks ago. I felt bad, but who knows what the future will hold? I may end up only taking 2 weeks for maternity then going right back into FT care again. It is still over 6 months away, so I'm just going to focus on the now.

I'm sure you might have some unhappy families, but a lot of us have been on the opposite end. I say you do what you need now, and worry about the future when (and if) if brings changes.

God luck, I hope you find something that makes you happy
Reply
AmyKidsCo 02:07 PM 08-13-2014
Originally Posted by Shell:
I would enroll. If you don't get the job, then you have passed up a family that would put you in a good place financially. If you do get the job, well, stuff happens, and they will find another daycare. There's no way for you to know what the future holds, you can only base your decision in today!
Ditto. If you had the job offer it would be one thing, but there's no guarantee the job offer will be made.
Reply
Tags:business, ethics, honesty, income - lost, provider accountability, providers own children
Reply Up