Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Drop In Care
LittleD 08:25 PM 08-18-2011
I know there are some people on here that do drop in care. Who here does it? I'm thinking about doing it myself, and would like some advice!
Abigail 08:34 PM 08-18-2011
I'm thinking about doing this myself to help establish my daycare business so I'm glad you asked. I'm going to give all those who want drop in care an interview and treat them like typical clients. I will also have them sign a handbook and agree to all my policies and do all the standard enrollment forms. I would still need to create a drop in contract and rate which I'm totally unsure on how to go about that boat! I do know that I will be requiring so much as a deposit for drop in care on the day they sign the contract which can not be used for child care, but will be held as an enrollment fee I suppose. $25 per child per year or something really reasonable just to help with all the paperwork being up to date. They would all pay in advance per day.
harperluu 08:48 PM 08-18-2011
I have done exclusive drop-in in the past, although this fall I have several fulltime kids. It is a great way to launch your business. I originally began drop-in because my husband is a police officer and there were many families in the department that needed drop-in when their spouses schedules conflicted with their shift work. I was able to fill a niche.

As time went on, lots of drop-ins switched to parttime or fulltime.

I used to hold drop-in interviews on Thursday evenings. Then offer to send paperwork via email. Just like a fulltime or parttime client. Because I've been in business for quite some time now, lots of my drop-ins are referrals from other providers. If you have relationships with other providers in your area, let them know you will provide drop-in care for sick/vacation days/maternity leave.

I have lots of great advice about running a successful drop-in business, too much to fit in this message. I really love it, although there are many people that find it's not for them. Send me a message if you want to discuss more details!
LittleD 04:58 AM 08-19-2011
Well, I have 3 SA dcks and 1 FT. So I'm trying to fill some spots, make some extra cash (cuz it's hard going from 5FTs to 1 !) We don't have drop in care here, so I figure it will become a success. I was think about charging a $10 admin fee. Payment up front. For now I will do it 8:30am-1pm. (so it doesn't interfere with my FTers nap. I only have one nap room, and i want the peace a quiet to take classes online. Kids don't sleep well in a strange environment. I want to make sure before the child comes, I have all of their information, emergency contacts, allergies, etc. Now I just have to figure out rates!
godiva83 05:35 AM 08-19-2011
I think that is a great idea
I have been considering it as well to see if I can handle taking on another child...use drop in care to test the waters sort of deal. I love saying the hours are from 8:30-1. How much are you going to charge? Have of your daily rate?
Cat Herder 06:00 AM 08-19-2011
I offer drop-in care for former clients and occassionally their close friends (whose children I have met) if I have an absence (like during family vacation and holiday season travel).

They tend to schedule their doctors appointments and stuff around it. (school closures, too)

I email them all the forms I need updated and they have them signed in hand, with cash, at drop off.

It happens about 4 times a year. I do not advertise this.

I would not do it for the general public, though.

Too risky IMHO. (illness, drama, behavioral issues, custody battles)
rjskids 06:55 AM 08-19-2011
I was planning on doing drop in care if I have any openings but here is my dillema with it...I have had 3 people inquire about drop in care for the days their provider takes off, BUT I think they are all at the same provider! So I am worried that this provider is going to take a day off then I have 3 families calling me and I only have 1 spot!
Meyou 07:30 AM 08-19-2011
Originally Posted by rjskids:
I was planning on doing drop in care if I have any openings but here is my dillema with it...I have had 3 people inquire about drop in care for the days their provider takes off, BUT I think they are all at the same provider! So I am worried that this provider is going to take a day off then I have 3 families calling me and I only have 1 spot!
First come, first serve.

I do drop ins for former fulltime families. The kids have either aged out or the family working circumstances changed. I book ahead for Mondays and those spots go quick! They were all booked for the summer in May this year for school aged drop ins. The rest of the week I book up to the night before the day.
squareone 07:58 AM 08-19-2011
I offer drop in care for the extra money but I don't really like it. It completely throws off our schedule/groove. The full-timers go nuts whenever someone out of the ordinary is in the house and the drop-in kids never seem to adjust to coming here because they are not here regularly enough. I also don't like having to keep track of who is coming on what day when I am planning field trips.

I have a section on my regular contract that just gets checked off if the child is drop-in explaining that care is on a space available basis only.
Christian Mother 08:51 AM 08-19-2011
I only offer drop in care to my clients friends or friends and family...Kind of like word of mouth...I didn't in the past but some of my moms said there friends needed drop in care every once in a while so I accommodated those parents. It's only a couple times a month and I do charge $5 an hr or $25 for FT rate if there here more then 5 hrs. I don't have them sign contract unless they are start to come PT or switch to FT. It def. helps to fill the vacancy I have write now. I am trying to full a FT position but everyone wants PT.
LittleD 10:24 AM 08-19-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:

I would not do it for the general public, though.

Too risky IMHO. (illness, drama, behavioral issues, custody battles)
Well, the same principle behind the contract here will apply. If they are sick, they can't stay, who is allowed to pick up, it's only for a couple of hours and if they are that bad, then they aren't allowed back. No 2 week term notice cuz it's just an occasional thing.

Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
I am trying to full a FT position but everyone wants PT.
I can't find any part-timers, LOL! Wanna trade?

Originally Posted by squareone:
I offer drop in care for the extra money but I don't really like it. It completely throws off our schedule/groove. The full-timers go nuts whenever someone out of the ordinary is in the house and the drop-in kids never seem to adjust to coming here because they are not here regularly enough. I also don't like having to keep track of who is coming on what day when I am planning field trips.
I only have one full timer, and he's 18mths. He won't care overly much, probably be happy not to be the only one there I won't mind about planning my field trips around drop ins. If they call for drop in on a day I have something planned, I'll just tell them I am full/unavailable that day.

As for how much I am charging, that I haven't decided. I figured maybe $5/hr, but then if I am feeding snack/lunch I'll charge more (I do not want food from outside coming in) just haven't figured the rate for that yet. It also depends on how much of a response I get. If I am swamped with people wanting the service I may charge more. (cost vs. convenience, right?)
mismatchedsocks 10:37 AM 08-19-2011
I have a list of "drop ins" Its not something most daycare around here offer and I have done it from the beginning. I know each week what days I will have opening and what times. The drop ins I have are friends, friends of friends, co workers of daycare families I have now, or word of mouth through past/present clients. I only advertised it once, and got 2 great families from it ( I was having a slump in numbers!)

I have them interview, I then am upfront on my availability, and that if it does not work out day one, there will not be a day two. The reason I say this, you all know that there are some kids who will not do good with a once in a while daycare, or leaving mom, or crying all day. These children will be a disruption to my daily schedule and not something I am willing to do.

Have them fill out same paperwork, and make sure you are paid at drop off for the hours contracted. Also have back up numbers for them. Good luck!
Christian Mother 02:08 PM 08-19-2011
I can't find any part-timers, LOL! Wanna trade?

For some reason that is all I'm getting as far as calls. One of them was for maybe 2 days a week and another was for 3 days but he was hearing impaired and had a speech impairment. My daughter has a speech impairment also but this little guy is in preschool 2 days out of the week and the rest he needed care. I would of taken him on I am not sure if I am qualified to care for him. He reads lips but he's 2 1/2. Might be a little young and need more one on one although I do have the room and also small ratio. I was iffy on him but I ended up giving mom the option to pay full time rate but come part time. She opted not to. I really need that income of full time right now. Specially since i don't charge for days the kidos aren't here.
Unregistered 07:27 AM 08-23-2011
Thank you for this thread! I have someone interested in drop-in care but I'm unsure about how I should do my contracts. Is there anyone out there who would like to share their drop-in contracts. Do you have a different handbook for drop-ins as well?
Tags:drop in care
Reply Up