Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Are Hoodies a Risk?
Zoe 09:45 AM 12-02-2011
Silly question I know, but I noticed yesterday when my 9 month old dcb was taking a nap that his hood from his hoodie got in front of his face and basically was a mask. To me that seemed like a SIDS risk, so I removed the hoodie. That got me thinking. Do any of you feel that's a SIDS risk? Should I mention it to dcm? He's in these things EVERY day.
SilverSabre25 09:48 AM 12-02-2011
Not a SIDS risk, but a suffocation hazard sure.

I don't even know WHY they make hoodies for babies...
GretasLittleFriends 09:53 AM 12-02-2011
I agree that it could be a suffocation risk, and I would definitely mention something to mom. That way she is at least there may be a potential problem.
Zoe 09:58 AM 12-02-2011
Yes, I should have included a suffocation risk as well. To me, they go hand in hand even though I know they're completely different things.
Heidi 10:00 AM 12-02-2011
No hoodies in bed for anyone here. They get all tangled around their heads.
laundrymom 10:05 AM 12-02-2011
Originally Posted by bbo:
No hoodies in bed for anyone here. They get all tangled around their heads.
Agree. No hoods, bibs aprons or jackets.
youretooloud 10:07 AM 12-02-2011
I've never even seen an infant hooded shirt. I've seen the jackets though.

I wouldn't allow a hood on a shirt for an infant. It can't be comfortable to have all that extra bulk behind his head anyway.
jojosmommy 10:17 AM 12-02-2011
I got two sets of these as infant gifts and HATE THEM!!! The fleece jacket (which comes with a onsie and pants as a set) never stays down, either covering their head completely because the hood is HUGE or the whole thing goes up into their neck and the zipper ends up in their neck/mouth. I think they are pointless! I don't even know why they make them in infant sizes.
Zoe 10:21 AM 12-02-2011
Well I mentioned it to dcm and she laughed at first (at the image of it in his face) then when I said that it was probably a suffocation hazard, she said "oh my. That makes a lot of sense. I'll take them off of him at nap." So there ya go. Did my duty for the day. DCM and I have always had a great professional relationship so I knew she'd listen to anything I had to say (she knows I'm not trying to tell her how to do her job, it's just out of concern).

Thanks for the feedback!
Cat Herder 10:31 AM 12-02-2011
My DC infant (12 mths) came in one today, too. Pullover hoodie, no less.

I am NOT liking this new fashion trend.

It is in a cubbie waiting to go home.

I will be sure to tell DCM what an awesome hanging device it was for older brother as he tried to drag little one around by the neck in the middle of circle time (by using the hood as a leash). It happened like lightning, with me just inches away reading to them.

Hopefully she NEVER lets them out of her sight, either.

Ugh, scary......
Zoe 10:35 AM 12-02-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:

I will be sure to tell DCM what an awesome hanging device it was for older brother as he tried to drag little one around by the neck in the middle of circle time. It happened like lightning, with me just inches away reading to them.

Ugh, scary......

Scary but kinda funny. Sorry it reminds me of things my brother and I used to do to each other when we were kids. I'm glad the little guy is ok.

I'm thankful that I found my dcb with the hood in front of his face because it never occurred to me that it could be a hazard! Live and learn! Thankfully with no negative results.
MyAngels 10:38 AM 12-02-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:

I will be sure to tell DCM what an awesome hanging device it was for older brother as he tried to drag little one around by the neck in the middle of circle time. It happened like lightning, with me just inches away reading to them.

Ugh, scary......
I've had that happen here, too. I've asked the parents to stop sending them in hoodies at all for that reason.

Whoever is designing kids clothes these days must have a screw loose IMPO. Don't even get me started on the toddler girl jeans that appear to be hipsters...
Solandia 10:42 AM 12-02-2011
I just tuck the hoodie part down the inside back of the shirt at nap, or if it is an issue during play. Issue resolved. It may seem uncomfy, but the kids don't seem to mind.

I personally like hoodies, i think they are cute, even for the little ones. I like that I can keep the chill off the back of their neck w/o having to put a turtleneck on them. As a bonus, my one 22mo cant get his hat off of his head if I put the hoodie over top. For some reason the hood on his winter coat doesnt have the same effect.
KBCsMommy 10:44 AM 12-02-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Agree. No hoods, bibs aprons or jackets.
Ditto this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Zoe 10:46 AM 12-02-2011
Originally Posted by Solandia:
I just tuck the hoodie part down the inside back of the shirt at nap, or if it is an issue during play. Issue resolved. It may seem uncomfy, but the kids don't seem to mind.

I personally like hoodies, i think they are cute, even for the little ones. I like that I can keep the chill off the back of their neck w/o having to put a turtleneck on them. As a bonus, my one 22mo cant get his hat off of his head if I put the hoodie over top. For some reason the hood on his winter coat doesnt have the same effect.
Oh I'm ALL about the hoodie myself. Can't live without them! Have one on every day, doesn't matter if it matched the shirt I'm wearing, because they're so darn comfy. I currently have my Grumpy one on. It's sized way too big for me so I can wrap it around my body, ratty from use, but I LOVE it!

But it sure scared the dickens out of me when I saw dcb wrapped like that. I like your solution though!
Sunchimes 12:22 PM 12-02-2011
I haven't exactly banned them, but I've asked them not to send them in hoodies-as-indoor-wear. When they do, I immediately take it off and substitute a shirt from my spare clothes box. As someone said, not only are they a sleep hazard, but the little ones are just too fascinated with someone else's hood.
LysesKids 04:57 AM 08-06-2018
Originally Posted by Zoe:
Silly question I know, but I noticed yesterday when my 9 month old dcb was taking a nap that his hood from his hoodie got in front of his face and basically was a mask. To me that seemed like a SIDS risk, so I removed the hoodie. That got me thinking. Do any of you feel that's a SIDS risk? Should I mention it to dcm? He's in these things EVERY day.
I ban any clothing with hoodies or strings that is indoor wear, especially since I work with infants... on an outdoor jacket in cool weather I will allow it WHEN we go out. I have it in my clothing policy as a NO NO item -it's a huge risk for suffocation.
hwichlaz 08:22 AM 08-06-2018
I love them, just not for nap. Even when it’s warm we get a lot of wind. It causes earaches. Hoods on lightweight shirts protect ears without being too warm.

They are def outerwear though, so I remove them when we come inside.
daycarediva 10:19 AM 08-06-2018
no hoods, no strings, no jewelry (amber necklaces and toddlers in earrings is a big thing here and parents don't always use the screw on backs), no hair ties/clips, heck I even remove clothing with buttons.

Blackcat31 12:09 PM 08-06-2018
Just an FYI

I’m sure it’s useful info but old thread
PB&J 03:11 PM 08-06-2018
Hoodies on infants became a problem for us about the same time this thread was first started! We actually banned them in our handbook. Not only are they worrisome during naps, but the other kids were pulling on them (especially the infants who are learning to pull up and getting more mobile). They grab that tempting hood and either choke the other baby or pull that (often bigger) baby down on top of them! Just too much trouble. No one needs a hood in the house, and when we go out they have coats. We still have to send hoodies home and point out to parents the relevant part of the handbook...
Tags:2011, child safety, clothing - issues, hoodies, infant - safety
Reply Up